Akro and Yosh box

OB_zx9rmal

Registered
Hello guys!

Just finished break in on my '00 13R. I've installed an Akro/carbon pipe, and just did a top end run, with 750 miles on the bike. My GPS indicated 186. I'm in So. Florida.

My confusion is this: I keep seeing posts and hearing guys adjusting the EFI with the Yosh box by going -5 or -10 on the top end. How can that be? I know the stock mapping is a bit rich on top for safety. BUT, after adding a full exhaust system, you STILL need to go leaner? If this is what the dyno suggests, then what about the effects of the ram air at speed. I feel my bike should hit an actual 190 with the pipe (no air box mod yet). Wouldn't I need to go + on the high end?

Since the Busa has been around for a while now, I thought you fellas would be able to enlighten me.

Thanks.

Mal Glanz

P.S. I have NOT been a Suzuki fan lately after owning a TL-S and a TL-R (recalls 'r us), but the Busa is VERY impressive. Frankly, I'm equally as impressed with the handling as I am with the motor! :))

you might try Nathan's Dyno Service-Daytona, NSTOPHE@aol.com, Nathan has been sick, may not answer e-mail, phone 904-252-4252, he is a wizard, his shop is across the street from Daytona Raceway;

also, Dynojet has mapping for the Akra, all stock, stock air filter, they used my bike for the mapping;
I've never tried top end, but I'm sure you should have no trouble in the hp department if you have the correct mapping, the Yosh may not be the ticket!
Alan

[This message has been edited by AQUADIOSMED (edited 13 February 2000).]

[This message has been edited by AQUADIOSMED (edited 13 February 2000).]

HEY MAL,

YOU MISSED A GREAT RIDE ON SNAKE ROAD THIS MORNING.
ONLY A FEW SQUIDS FROM MIAMI WERE THERE.
IF YOU PLAN TO RIDE THIS WEDNESDAY GIVE ME A CALL.

MIKE

turbo:

see post at slip on;

no, the zx-11 Muzzy exhaust was installed by dealer, who never said the exhaust touched fairing.

Besides, I rode the zx-11 from Ft. Lauderdale to Daytona ... no problem ... but the dyno was different ...

certainly was not nathan's fault ...

the dealer replaced the fairing, no cost!

the zx-11 is a new 1993 bike, stored since new. I put 3,000 miles on it down in Florida before dyno and muzzy;
it was my back up and Florida bike, and it is still at Nathan's getting the Jet-Tek carbon fiber can and re-dyno;

I was just on the phone with Nathan, he thinks it will be finished today ... if it is I will post the difference between Muzzy exhaust with Muzzy can vs jet-Tek can if anyone is interested!

Alan

THE BIKE IS NOT MOVING AN THE AIR SUPPLY IS DEMINISHING AS THE RPM INCREASES>I WENT+10+5 +0 W.STOCK PIPES TO GET IT AT 12,5to13-1 a/f ratio.TAKE THE BOX OFF AND DYNO IT ONE TIME AND SEE.

Moterhead is correct.This is what I have been says all along that a dyno is static
(no ram air) and going down the road is pressureized air.unless you have a dyno like Yoshi that equiped with ram air,do like Motorhead said use a metering device,and ride down the road.Unfortunately ,This is a case of seat of the pants.

NO read the meter and it will tell you what the machine wants.the air does not have to pressurize but just ample supply to feed the motor and not be drawing from a vacuum environment.this will be real close and the map sesor will make up some of the difference when you do ride.i may put pyrometer where the par valves were and use a fluke meter.that will show min max avg temps and see what i get with this set up.

NO read the meter and it will tell you what the machine wants.the air does not have to pressurize but just ample supply to feed the motor and not be drawing from a vacuum environment.this will be real close and the map sesor will make up some of the difference when you do ride.i may put pyrometer where the par valves were and use a fluke meter.that will show min max avg temps and see what i get with this set up.

motorhead I think too much info is leaking out.I might want to slow the flow.
Trust me this is what the engineers use.
That is all I'm going to say.

yes your right i get carried away sometimes. they won't believe me anyhow so i'm wasting my breath.

[This message has been edited by THE MOTORHEAD (edited 13 February 2000).]

Thanks for the replies guys, but I didn't exactly get what I was asking for.

1. When you install a full exhaust system, is the consensus that the high end needs to be made richer, leaner, or left alone (at least as a starting point)?

2. What about the same question but WITH the air box mod.

3. Finally, I assume the air box mod is removing the inside part of the air box that is in the inner perimeter of the air filter. Is that corect?

Thanks again.

Mal

Its the same thing i`ve said all along ...a rear wheel dyno is almost useless without ram air...figure in the wheel slippage and there you go. Anyone ever seen a prostocker on a rear wheel dyno? Wonder why? Rear wheel dyno`s are to make you feel good.A crank shaft driven dyno is the only one worth using. I got flamed for this lately to...if you were testing pipes and did not change the jetting and a pipe made the most hp I personally would want the pipe that needed to be remapped to work....why would you want a pipe that needs stock jetting? That means it does not work...it does not flow more than a stock pipe. Different cannisters react differently also(round,oval,open megaphone).I `ve been around to long for the hype high performance shop self promo`s. There are probably not over 20-25 true engine builders in the US...by that I mean can do it all...weld,port,tune,fabricate and TOTALLY do all thier machine work in house and do not farm any work out what so ever. I`ve got my fire suit on again...let me have it.

I tried the speed tune aproach its a 3$, 5k pot thats all they use and we used on the old kaws w/inj.i dont like it buy a pc2 or use the yosh.from someone if your broke.gutted floor of the airbox still leaves a1/2 inch lip around the peimeter of its intake you can buy k&n pre filter foam sheets and cut it to size use either velcro or magnetic stripping on both surface areas and you have a reusable removable filter.(i pulled apart my airbox at its midseam and did mod this way so you can remove and contour as you see fit just seal with a bead of silicone when done and seal the box where it meets the frame they leak like pigs there.

What would be a map that is gear selection specific, which in effect allows for the ram air at higher speeds. Fuel maps are not the same in 4th 5th and 6th gear position.

For $200 Alex!
--------------------------------------------
A THOUGHT and a DIFFERANT APPROACH

MOPTORHEAD I have a "Speed Dial" from AIM RACING Products that I am going to try out shortly, once the ice melts from our streets.
The "Speed Dial" is a variable resistor that allows for on the fly coolent sensor adjustments (allows you to trick the ECU into a richer setting as you read the O2 sensor meter).

Currently the bike is mapped with a YAFM and will recieve a PC II when it goes on the dyno later this month. I am thinking the "Speed Dial" will allow for on the fly fine tuning.

CHEESE and MOTOR what do you think of this approach, it is all snow and ice here so I will not get to ride the bike till Daytona time. See it's better to ask TWO HEADS than one. :)

Some Links of interest.....................

http://www.aimracingproducts.com/page8.html
O2 sensor info,

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/mult_air_fuel_monitor/mult_air_fuel_monitor.htm
http://force-efi.com/cyber.htm
Fuel Injection,

http://www.kinsler.com/index.htm

www.ccfuelinjection.com (injector cleaning)

[This message has been edited by KawAbuser (edited 14 February 2000).]

Motorhead,

If you remove the whole inner floor of the air box, what about the filter? How does it seal and filter the incoming air?

Thanks.

Mal

Back