Akrapovic Race System Installation

cougar19

Donating Member
Registered
I just received an Akropovic Race System for my 2005 Busa. After installing the header pipes to the cylinder head and giving the pipes a tug to test for security, the header pipe pulled right out of the flange. I then removed the header pipes to take a look. Upon further investigation, I found I could easily pull off the inner sleeves that the flanges bolt against and secure the pipe to the exhaust port. Is this normal? Anyone have any experience here?

Exhaust6.jpg

No experience with the Akro exhaust.....but it doesn't sound right. After you bolt down the headers...they shouldn't pull out. My, BDE is flanged so it will not pull out.

There are a lot of Akro systems here, I hope someone chimes in. Good Luck.

DD

The "oval" keepers secure the short tube to the exhaust ports of the engine. Make sure the flange is against the engine. The springs hold the header to the exhaust ports. All you have to do to remove the header from the bike is to release the springs. This is the same way the rest of the pipe is assembled and held together, with the springs.
Make sure you use the anti-seize lube when assembling.

The springs that come with the system keep the pipes from pulling out of the flanges
biggrin.gif

OK. Thanks very much.
I never received any installation instructions with the pipe. I'm surprised that one spring will hold the header in place with all the exhaust pressure.

(cougar19 @ Nov. 24 2006,11:44) OK. Thanks very much.
I never received any installation instructions with the pipe. I'm surprised that one spring will hold the header in place with all the exhaust pressure.
There are 2 springs for each header......plus there shouldn't be much so much back pressure that the headers wont stay seated.

one spring for each header on the akro evo. and no problems. same for the hindle and brock hindle and pretty much every other high end pipe. thats just the way they are designed.

yeah, you should find it much easier to mount the flanges first then push the exhuast tubes on and put on the springs
beerchug.gif

(badassblackbusa @ Nov. 25 2006,21:43) one spring for each header on the akro evo. and no problems. same for the hindle and brock hindle and pretty much every other high end pipe. thats just the way they are designed.
I have the Akro race setup and the directions for install state there is (1) one spring per header tube......(2) two on the header to mid-pipe and (2) two more for the exhaust can....
beerchug.gif

(321CYA @ Nov. 26 2006,09:43)
(badassblackbusa @ Nov. 25 2006,21:43) one spring for each header on the akro evo. and no problems. same for the hindle and brock hindle and pretty much every other high end pipe. thats just the way they are designed.
I have the Akro race setup and the directions for install state there is (1) one spring per header tube......(2) two on the header to mid-pipe and (2) two more for the exhaust can....
beerchug.gif
My bad..............you are correct!

IMG_0041__Small_.JPG

Thanks for all the help everyone!
It's all installed with the Dyno Jet supplied Akro map!
I didn't do the PAIR valve mod but it doesn't seem to need it - works like a charm and sounds great
WoooHooo!!
Cougar

Back