air shifter, swingarm and nos question

nickblaze466

Registered
its supposed to be warm for the first time this weekend, so i'm going to try out the NOS. it might be in the wrong forum.

anyway, first question is i have the air shifter i put on in the winter. i don't remember what it said to charge the system to to make a run. i think 160 is the max on the guage, and i've only used it once. what do i want to charge it to and what is the minimum pressure i want to have to shift?

second, since its going to be warmer i think i'm going to try the spray. i am running a 45hp shot, dry. i have a stock swingarm. i've had the busa for a little over a year, and it doesn't come up on me too often unless i'm really hammering on it. i was told to try a 6th gear spray at like 50mph to see how much power it will create. anybody have any experience with this, offer any advice?

A 45 shot with stock length and height is pretty exciting in the lower gears, but I would still think that 50 mph in 6th would be lugging it too much. I've heard you should never spray below half of redline (@5500), so just make sure you're at 6k RPM or higher when you spray it.

You should look into a WOT switch and RPM window switch IMO - they keep you from spraying when you shouldn't.

I run my airshifter at 100 psi. I spray at the top of first sometimes, but mostly when I shift into second. With a four inch stretch, Besse will still come up on me every now and then. I spray above 5K and hold on for life. Remember that when you activate your spray, the RPM's will climb dramatically faster, so be prepared to shift if you don't have an auto box. The window switch would be a great safety feature if you don't already have one.
beerchug.gif

so 120psi down to 100psi is solid for the air shifter then i'm assuming?

its not stock height, its lowered front and rear but its got a stock length on it. i didn't know to have it up above 5500, thats good information right there. i'm not planning on taking it to the strip, surface streets just to see what its like once.

what is a window switch? i've heard of the rpm switch to engage NOS but was told to stay away from it. where do i find these parts...window switch specifically?

it's not the mph you need to be concernced with for spraying. It's gear and RPM. Spray above 6k or more is good advice. For your cherry poppin' time I would say be in 4th gear and above 6k rpm, hunker down and hit the spray.
beerchug.gif
don't short shift

100 psi for the airshifter is a good spot to be at.

so 120psi down to 100psi is solid for the air shifter then i'm assuming?

its not stock height, its lowered front and rear but its got a stock length on it. i didn't know to have it up above 5500, thats good information right there. i'm not planning on taking it to the strip, surface streets just to see what its like once.

what is a window switch? i've heard of the rpm switch to engage NOS but was told to stay away from it. where do i find these parts...window switch specifically?
Absolutely. You won't have any trouble at 100psi. Remember that when a Busa hits the rev limiter, it pulls fuel. So, if you are still spraying and you hit the limiter, you go WAY lean and run the risk of damaging the motor quickly!! The window switch is there to make sure the spray goes off BEFORE you hit the limiter. I have my nitrous hooked up on a micro switch off the throttle bodies and a window switch to make sure I'm wide open and above my rpm limits. Good Luck and report back!!

Remember that when a Busa hits the rev limiter, it pulls fuel.  So, if you are still spraying and you hit the limiter, you go WAY lean and run the risk of damaging the motor quickly!!  The window switch is there to make sure the spray goes off BEFORE you hit the limiter.  I have my nitrous hooked up on a micro switch off the throttle bodies and a window switch to make sure I'm wide open and above my rpm limits.  
Even more dangerous than that, when you first hit the rev limiter it only cuts the fuel from two cylinders. Often called the soft rev limiter, disaster to turbo and nitrous bikes. A rpm window switch is very good insurance. Now you also have the option of having these limits changed in rpm and function with in the ECO on the 02-07 bikes.

Back