Air Box Flapper??

Lumpy

Registered
I was wondering if anyone can tell me the purpose of the flapper in the air box on my 02 busa???  I have heard a lot of people talking about doing the flapper mod.  Can anyone also tell me what this is and what it is supposed to improve??
Thanks in advance
Lumpy

iamwithstupid.gif

The flapper is controlled by a vaccuum servo to open and close as needed by the engine. the servo is controlled by the ECU. Suzuki found that by closing down the flap at lower RPM, they actually made more low end torque than if they left it open. LIKE WE HAVE A SHORTAGE OF LOW END TORQUE!??!!

At full throttle the flap is open but is still is in the way of incoming air. Some people have done a "Small" box mod by cutting out the flap and servo. It saves a pound or two and it helps make more power at full throttle by de-restricting the opening. I will probably do it next winter when the snow keeps me from riding.

The "large" box mod is where the stock filter is trashed for a flat K&N style filter over an even larger hole (where the flap was).

Thanks for the info. I think for now i will leave it alone. Plenty of power already
jump9.gif
jump9.gif
jump9.gif

jump9.gif

jump9.gif

Back