2003 Busa struggling on the top end??????

richierokit

Registered
At wide open throttle above like 6000 RPM, it seems like the bike is breaking up or hesitating? Its intermittent. I thought it was an air flow issue so I did the Brocks air box mod and cut out the flapper. It ran perfect for the rest of that day. I parked the bike for 2 days, wehen I rode it to work today, the issue is back? Please help I have a Gremlin!!!!!!

I Second the Fuel Delivery Issue. Your Fuel Pump and Regulator is located inside the Tank on your year model. 99 - 00 were Outside the Tank. I would also Guess the the issue is Worse with a Half Tank than a Full Tank, but only a Guess but that was my Experience.

I recently had a Fuel Delivery problem on my 02 and had to take out the Pump and Clean it. If you look under the Tank, that Gold looking cup on the bottom of the Tank is where the Fuel Pump is located. You have to remove the Tank in order to do it. The bottom of the Cup is where the Strainer is for the Pump. It is likely full of of Gunk. Use some good Carb Cleaner and Clean the Entire Assembly, Inside and Out.

Get at copy of Supplementry Service Manuel, 2001 Model, Page 4 has the Diagram of the Fuel Pump, Regulator, and Filter.

While you are at it, you can Clean the Tank as well for Rust. Some people us the Chemical Cleaners that work Ok, Sorta. But you can also use some LARGE NUTS, not small NUTS, with water and shake the rust out. You have to make a Plug of sorts to cover the Large hole where the Pump Comes out, a Folgers Coffe Lid works well. Anyhow, make the nuts large, small ones will get caught in the Pinch Points of the Tanks welds, and you don't wont those is your Tank. It helps to Count the number you put in so you know how many to get out!

Not all of the Water will come out, so FOG the inside with WD40 a Couple of times to diminnish the Water.

Take you time and you will have a better running Bike for sure.

Stealth

I Second the Fuel Delivery Issue. Your Fuel Pump and Regulator is located inside the Tank on your year model. 99 - 00 were Outside the Tank. I would also Guess the the issue is Worse with a Half Tank than a Full Tank, but only a Guess but that was my Experience.

I recently had a Fuel Delivery problem on my 02 and had to take out the Pump and Clean it. If you look under the Tank, that Gold looking cup on the bottom of the Tank is where the Fuel Pump is located. You have to remove the Tank in order to do it. The bottom of the Cup is where the Strainer is for the Pump. It is likely full of of Gunk. Use some good Carb Cleaner and Clean the Entire Assembly, Inside and Out.

Get at copy of Supplementry Service Manuel, 2001 Model, Page 4 has the Diagram of the Fuel Pump, Regulator, and Filter.

While you are at it, you can Clean the Tank as well for Rust. Some people us the Chemical Cleaners that work Ok, Sorta. But you can also use some LARGE NUTS, not small NUTS, with water and shake the rust out. You have to make a Plug of sorts to cover the Large hole where the Pump Comes out, a Folgers Coffe Lid works well. Anyhow, make the nuts large, small ones will get caught in the Pinch Points of the Tanks welds, and you don't wont those is your Tank. It helps to Count the number you put in so you know how many to get out!

Not all of the Water will come out, so FOG the inside with WD40 a Couple of times to diminnish the Water.

Take you time and you will have a better running Bike for sure.

Stealth
Well, The fuel pump surgery is on for this evening, thanks for the tips, I will let you know how we make out!

Wish I'd seen this earlier. 9 times out of 10, you can run some Sea Foam through it and it will clear it right up.

--Wag--

Back