Age limit based on engine size

Age limits based on engine size?

• Disagree....anyone should be able to ride anything

Votes: 68 38.2%
  • Agree.... a 17 or 18 year old doesn't need 1300cc's

Votes: 83 46.6%
  • One time I picked my nose until it bled.

Votes: 30 16.9%

• Total voters
I think it should be mandatory for an msf course to be had before you get a license but other then that, then no. When I bought my bike the dealer was telling me of a kid that just bought a zx600r the day before, and crashed it on the freeway right outside the dealership. He was 17, and owned his bike for about 20 mins.

You can say maturity level all you want but if you are the one buying it then there is no one stopping you.

Besides there arent any restrictions on what kind of car you drive at 16 when you first get your license. I saw kids in high school driving brand new trans am's because mommy and daddy bought them as gifts. Not saying some kids cant handle it but I am talking about the kids that you know dont deserve it and will have no respect for the car since they didnt pay for it or work for it.

I think a power:weight rating would be more appropriate than a displacement rating. A Harley might have a 1400cc engine...but still make less power than a 600cc Jap bike.

New Zealand and Australia have power:weight restrictions for learner and provisional/restricted riders and car drivers.

It all comes down to how much experience you have. There are pro riders of all ages. People wreck young and old. If you cant handle it sell it!!

There's something to be said for experience and restraint. And most riders just don't have it at 18 years of age. And not having experience and restraint on any motorcycle, let alone the fastest motorcycle, can lead to NEVER getting that experience. Ever.

That said, I'd hate to regulate the sport that much more.

i completely agree with what houstonbussa said...
training and practice...cars and bikes... hell-even skateboards. my gf is from germany and she was tellin me about their tiered system of bike license... 250cc max for a year, then a 750cc max for a year, then its all good... or sumthin like that... but she also stressed that it is WAY more difficult to get any kind of license over there- so many hours in a class, so many on the road with an instructor, so much money-here you go take a test and pay some change and youre good to go... it just leads to a better appreciation of the PRIVILEGE to drive, i think it might be good for that to be mandatory for todays youth...

Government is in too much already.....

Easy to say...until a driver that can't hurts or kills themselves or someone else.

Gov't regulation is certainly a PITA, but when folks are moving hundreds or thousands of pounds down the road, I think we all agree that we want them fully aware of how to do it safely and with the training and experience to do so.

I'm up in the air on this one. I just keep thinking about all the kids who grew up motocross racing. Most of them could outride me without a sweat! Look how young MOTO go racers are. They could've probably outdone me with knowledge or skill when they were just 16
TPosted via Mobile Device

I'm up in the air on this one. I just keep thinking about all the kids who grew up motocross racing. Most of them could outride me without a sweat! Look how young MOTO go racers are. They could've probably outdone me with knowledge or skill when they were just 16
TPosted via Mobile Device

While anyone can gain impressive skills by almost any age (the world is filled with toddlers that can outdo accomplished adults in a variety of physical pursuits), experience and maturity and the realization and understanding of our own mortality only come with time for the vast majority of folks. That's the part that no amount of training will ever impress upon young folks. Some folks may NEVER get it but it would seem most figure it out somewhere after age 20 to some degree and most of us don't really have a full understanding of it until somwhere after age 30. I'm sure there are exceptions, but in general, the younger you are, the more "insane" choices you make simply b/c you don't fully recognize or consider the risk in those choices.

I think you should have to take a MSF coarse in order to have the endorsement. After that none of my buisness what you want to spend your money on.

Just curious why we shouldn't allow 18 yr old to ride a liter bike but let them have a M16 and a couple grenades. Or how about a S.A.W. Wait even a tank? If you can freely go to war for your county or be drafted then you should be allowed to buy a motorcycle.

I think you should have to take a MSF coarse in order to have the endorsement. After that none of my buisness what you want to spend your money on.

Just curious why we shouldn't allow 18 yr old to ride a liter bike but let them have a M16 and a couple grenades. Or how about a S.A.W. Wait even a tank? If you can freely go to war for your county or be drafted then you should be allowed to buy a motorcycle.

Just for discussion

Some say it's an honorable death defending your beliefs and the freedom of an entire nation. To imply death in combat is the same as splattering yourself down the road because you're not mature enough to ease up on the throttle is, well...not a good comparison. You are given those weapons and the honor of defending your country with a great deal of guidance, responsibility, accountability, and basic rules. The military does not simply hand you a rifle and tell you to go have fun, or toss grenades willy-nilly.

Here is an excerpt from an article that gives you a small snapshot of the epidemic of deaths the military is currently experiencing related to motorcycles. If you step back and and look at this from a leadership perspective it makes sense to regulate some freedoms. Some people need protection from themselves.

Johnson said troops without families to support typically return from combat with a wad of unspent money in their pockets and an eye on a fast motorcycle — and, for less than $10,000, manufacturers offer sportbikes packed with racing technology easily capable of 150 mph or more.

In 2008, 25 Marines died on motorcycles — more than the 22 killed in hostile action in Iraq and 21 who died in Afghanistan, according to the Pentagon. It was a continuation of a trend that has seen a rise from 2004, when seven Marines died on bikes.

The Army has seen increased deaths, too, from 22 in 2004 to 51 in 2008.

Johnson said nearly 300 military men and women died on motorcycles from 2006 through 2008, and an additional 75 or so had to quit the service because of motorcycle-related injuries.

Just for discussion

Some say it's an honorable death defending your beliefs and the freedom of an entire nation. To imply death in combat is the same as splattering yourself down the road because you're not mature enough to ease up on the throttle is, well...not a good comparison. You are given those weapons and the honor of defending your country with a great deal of guidance, responsibility, accountability, and basic rules. The military does not simply hand you a rifle and tell you to go have fun, or toss grenades willy-nilly.

Here is an excerpt from an article that gives you a small snapshot of the epidemic of deaths the military is currently experiencing related to motorcycles. If you step back and and look at this from a leadership perspective it makes sense to regulate some freedoms. Some people need protection from themselves.

Johnson said troops without families to support typically return from combat with a wad of unspent money in their pockets and an eye on a fast motorcycle — and, for less than $10,000, manufacturers offer sportbikes packed with racing technology easily capable of 150 mph or more.

In 2008, 25 Marines died on motorcycles — more than the 22 killed in hostile action in Iraq and 21 who died in Afghanistan, according to the Pentagon. It was a continuation of a trend that has seen a rise from 2004, when seven Marines died on bikes.

The Army has seen increased deaths, too, from 22 in 2004 to 51 in 2008.

Johnson said nearly 300 military men and women died on motorcycles from 2006 through 2008, and an additional 75 or so had to quit the service because of motorcycle-related injuries.

I do believe you missed my point entirely.
If I have freedom to choose to be trained and armed by my country and possibly die in a foreign country. Why should I not also have the choice at the same age to purchase the motorcycle I want.

Note I did say that there should be training so you're not riding around "willy nilly" on a bike.

The issue of men and women coming back from war and buying sport bikes is a different issue and topic. It should be and is being discussed. It's a major issue but not the same as this discussion.

I do believe you missed my point entirely.
If I have freedom to choose to be trained and armed by my country and possibly die in a foreign country. Why should I not also have the choice at the same age to purchase the motorcycle I want.

Note I did say that there should be training so you're not riding around "willy nilly" on a bike.

The issue of men and women coming back from war and buying sport bikes is a different issue and topic. It should be and is being discussed. It's a major issue but not the same as this discussion.

I thought I understood you to say that since a person has the freedom/right/priviledge to go off to war then they should be able to buy any motorcycle they want. And my response was to point out that it is not a good comparison. An 18 yr old who decides to serve his/her country should not automatically qualify to do a lot of things just because they made the decision to join.

I thought I understood you to say that since a person has the freedom/right/priviledge to go off to war then they should be able to buy any motorcycle they want. And my response was to point out that it is not a good comparison. An 18 yr old who decides to serve his/her country should not automatically qualify to do a lot of things just because they made the decision to join.

I disagree, both decisions are dangerous and both require thought and training.

I guess I think if you are able to make an adult decision for yourself regarding potentially putting yourself in harms way then whats the difference between the dangers of a war zone or inattentive cagers the result is at worst the same.

Also you can once again at the worst kill yourself on a 250cc bike just as easily as on a 1300. As someone that rides I'm sure you could agree with that. So would it be too far out of that logic to say that motorcycles should be banned from anyone under a certain age? They all have the same potential negatives.....paralysis , loss of limbs, brain damage... Death. When you go about saying we are just going to regulate this for "X" age group because it's "dangerous" then who's to say some other concerned group doesn't come along later and up it again and again until the inevitable banning the dangerous item all together. Thus fully "regulating" a free person of adult age to make their own choices.

So once again if I can make the decision of an adult to die for my country them treat me as an adult and let me make my decisions w/o oppression.

So once again if I can make the decision of an adult to die for my country them treat me as an adult and let me make my decisions w/o oppression.

So after all that it comes down to you being a young soldier who doesn't like the fact that because the military has invested thousands of dollars in your training they feel they have the right to tell you what to do. Just remember, a recruiter will lie and the military is not a democracy.

So after all that it comes down to you being a young soldier who doesn't like the fact that because the military has invested thousands of dollars in your training they feel they have the right to tell you what to do. Just remember, a recruiter will lie and the military is not a democracy.

I'm not a soldier actually. Just making the case for a person at 18 being able to make choices But your bring up a different idea than what I was thinking. Could be wrong but I believe once you sign up to become a soldier you do give up some of your rights to make decisions and have a second set of rules and standards you must live by. So would the military be in their rights to limit what you ride? I don't know the answer to that one it's fairly tough.

I'm not a soldier actually. Just making the case for a person at 18 being able to make choices But your bring up a different idea than what I was thinking. Could be wrong but I believe once you sign up to become a soldier you do give up some of your rights to make decisions and have a second set of rules and standards you must live by. So would the military be in their rights to limit what you ride? I don't know the answer to that one it's fairly tough.

I fell behind, so sorry to be reserecting old stuff.. But in a way you're right, and yes they can. Would it have a very adverse affect.. Probably so, because they'd have to make changes on a lot more than just the bikes. But you are absolutly right, they do have that right to limit what you ride. Not that people will admit that. But you (military personel) are property of the government. They do it with tattoos. They'd just justify it by how many soldiers get hurt on 2 wheels and say it's putting governement property at risk. But then you'd have to keep the brass from riding too. I know sr O6 and soon to be one stars (depending on the branch, general/admiral.. it's all the same pay grade) that ride.. You going to tell him he can't?

Back