ABS stock bike: Brembo RCS 17 or 19?

Hayabusa Wannabe

Registered
After reading a large amount of information from the members here I still have confusion regarding master cylinder options. For a stock Gen 2 ABS system is the Brembo RCS 17 an option or is it inappropriate for the piston sizing? Is the 19 mm the sole appropriate selection? I have seen many go with the 19 mm but it is unclear to me if there is a choice. I saw purchases of the RCS 19 mm here in 2008 or prior but the calipers changed in 2013, so that adds to my ignorance and confusion.

I give up on adding helpful tags to this forum. This, in both Chrome and Firefox. Really?

1697313583555.png

Reviews show the pistons are 32x32 in 2013?
Well that means the RCS19 is best for they match 32m pistons . I always thought M4 30mm piston , but that is only Stylemas . You can still use RCS17 with the M4 calipers , the 17 ratio gives more lever feel , not as strong initial feel as the 19 will give you but very nice feel setup . I know this because I went with the 17 pump matched to 32 mm piston GP4 RX on my OLD Busa because of thicker discs 6mm .tho .

I've got the 19 on mine...(had to go look 'cause I couldn't remember).
That is the best for strong stopping power from the initial lever pull , I run this ratio with the GP4RX on the ZX14R . So , I try and lived with both 17 and 19 rcs with same disc and calipers on the Busa and Kwacka . Your bike is well setup , it was a good buy for you Sarge .

That is the best for strong stopping power from the initial lever pull , I run this ratio with the GP4RX on the ZX14R . So , I try and lived with both 17 and 19 rcs with same disc and calipers on the Busa and Kwacka . Your bike is well setup , it was a good buy for you Sarge .
Thanks 'Toad.....

I did a lot of looking around and wanted a used bike just in case I didn't like it....I already had 4 other bikes sitting in the garage as well so made the argument with the wife easier buying a used one...

The only real thing I've done to it is set up the suspension through the aftermarket as I'm heavier than the previous owner (by a fair bit).

Thanks 'Toad.....

I did a lot of looking around and wanted a used bike just in case I didn't like it....I already had 4 other bikes sitting in the garage as well so made the argument with the wife easier buying a used one...

The only real thing I've done to it is set up the suspension through the aftermarket as I'm heavier than the previous owner (by a fair bit).
Well it was a wise purchase , which is exactly what I would expect from you Sarge . The stock suspension , then setup correctly will take on any other million $ setup that aint correctly setup , and come out the winner . If I remember correctly , the previous owner was knowledgeable about effective mods , so it got the correct Yoshi matched package , which is honest performance . It is a nicely setup Busa to have in your garage .

Well it was a wise purchase , which is exactly what I would expect from you Sarge . The stock suspension , then setup correctly will take on any other million $ setup that aint correctly setup , and come out the winner . If I remember correctly , the previous owner was knowledgeable about effective mods , so it got the correct Yoshi matched package , which is honest performance . It is a nicely setup Busa to have in your garage .
Honestly I've looked at adding some other interesting bits to it, I had a line on Core Moto rims at one point and I was going to go full carbon fiber body work...

I fortunately woke up and decided to stop drop on those....but I couldn't return the rear tail light pods so kept those.

The previous owner was very knowledgeable and set up the bike very well...one downfall is the Bazzaz programmer crapped the bed so has left me running stock maps and I can tell the difference...the bike doesn't feel as strong or as smooth so this winter I'll send off the ECU to get maps loaded.

After reading a large amount of information from the members here I still have confusion regarding master cylinder options. For a stock Gen 2 ABS system is the Brembo RCS 17 an option or is it inappropriate for the piston sizing? Is the 19 mm the sole appropriate selection? I have seen many go with the 19 mm but it is unclear to me if there is a choice. I saw purchases of the RCS 19 mm here in 2008 or prior but the calipers changed in 2013, so that adds to my ignorance and confusion.

at a abs-system a bigger size of the piston (17 or 19 instead of the original 5/8" = 16 mm) doesnt´t matter.

as far as I understand it,
the ABS should regulate this difference
and the risk of the front wheel blocking in the event of possible over-braking during shock braking should be eliminated.

one more thing
if the ABS somehow refuses to do its job and no longer regulates,
shown by the ABS indicator in the speedometer lighting up while driving,
the brake itself MUST continue to work - the braking effect is a system-immanent function that MUST be present at all times.

and
even changing the brake calipers doesn't make a difference - the ABS MUST continue to do its job.

Last edited:
For clarity, I was specifically asking about Super Dot 4 ABS performance claims and not ABS in general.

I try to remain neutral on ABS. I am not crazy about it, I would never have added it to my car and likely not to the bike, but can accept that it may assist me on the bike in an emergency.
I put it up for general interest , some of the people reading might like to have more info , or not .

@Hayabusa Wannabe

i went a general step further
and added an abs-system to my ´00 busa (street legal) with the result(s)
that this addition saved my "damn a ss" four (4) times in the last 8 years.

made me super lucky not to get "signatures" from the tar etc.

and the type ofthe dot doesn´t matter - for the abs-system
it works, at my addition to my ´00 , with dot4 ,
but i´m 10% sure that a 5.1 will do same job perfectly
no matter if it is a "super" dot-type with super high thermal stability .

in my opinion, this has an effect on every hydraulic brake.
even in Moto-GP, as far as I know, they also use “only” 5.1.

but what definitely makes the brake fundamentally weak,
is the "stored/sucked" water, which is the real danger after about 3-4 years of not replacing it.

dot 3, 4 and 5.1 is always hygroscopic - no matter what thermal stability the dot has when new - THAT is the huge danger you may be in if you drive around with older (> 4 years) dirt.

no matter if it is a "super" dot-type with super high thermal stability .

"Dot 4 Super" is a thinner version of Dot 4, claiming more instantaneous response from the ABS action as it can move the thinner fluid faster. It is on our store shelves here but unsure if it is available where you are.

Back