A Way forward the we can all agree on?

Vonderbach

Your AD here!
Donating Member
Registered
I had an epiphany last night. I was thinking about states rights and how they have the power to amend the Constitution. Imagine for a moment that the states put forth and passed an amendment that required all government employees (including Congress, Supreme Court and President) to conform to the legislation that they enacted. Additionally, the lifetime pension should be removed in lieu of a true 401K like the rest of us must endure.

How much do you suspect legislation might change when they are legislating themselves too?

Thread title is lacking, but the idea you have is an old wise thought. Much in the states would be different. Very different.

But the states are not corrupt (or not as much)....that's the point. The states have the ability to pass an amendment and Congress has no choice but to abide.

The only reason the states are not as corrupt is because they don't have the same amount of power. I live in Illinois, arguably the most corrupt state behind New Jersey.....forgive me if I have little faith in my state government either.
I like your idea, but until we replace all the bad apples from local government on up, we don't stand a chance. The "I can do whatever I want" mindset is entrenched in politics. They are above the law, know it, and act accordingly.
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Yeah, I am gonna send in my tax return without payment and write "Rangel Clause" on the top. If he doesn't have to pay his taxes, and he is in charge of writing tax policy, why should I have to pay!! ???

I really like your idea of a real 401K for them, after all, they are "public servants" since when have servants been paid more and have better retirements than those they serve?

States cannot pass laws laws that circumvent federal laws. that is why some state do not have state income tax, but you are still required to pay federal income tax.

it would be so much easier to just vote people out of office.....

a lot of politicians have forgotten the fact that they're a public servant.

States cannot pass laws laws that circumvent federal laws. that is why some state do not have state income tax, but you are still required to pay federal income tax.

it would be so much easier to just vote people out of office.....

They cannot pass laws, but they can amend the Constitution, which trumps any other branch of government. It would require some major grassroots, the likes of which we have never seen before.

Amending the US Constitution – Methods For Amending the US Constitution

Ogre, I agree with you that a lot of the politicians have forgotten the fact that they are public servants. It sometimes seems like they only make laws to benefit themselves and their family.

I agree with getting the grass roots going to make the change, just to toss my hat in the ring, we ought to push for term limits too, 2 terms, not matter the branch, at least that should help stem the corruption up there a bit. And while we're at it, we should push for requiring a balanced budget amendment too.

Back