A Real Winner that changed his sport forever.

Zerks

Registered
I have never met Don Garlits and would be honored to do so some day. I did meet Dale Armstrong one time and got to hang with him for about 20 minutes at an auto repair shop. Dale was Kenny Bernstiens crew chief for 16 years and got Kenny to the 300+ mph record back in 1992.

The stories Mr Garlits can tell are amazing!

I met him in 63 or 64 when his hemi was in front and again when the Sonoma raceway opened in 68. In 63/64 he was mixing fuel in the pits by himself before his race from 3-4 jugs and I happened to be standing close to one of the jugs and he looked at it then at me and I handed it to him. We talked a bit as he poured so many ounces of something into a jug with some other something. He showed me his ‘fireproof’ face mask and helmet and goggles. Really primitive looking gear. I forget which Swamp Rat that one was but it was similar to the one that folded up on him. He pretty much invented the rear engine dragster while recuperating. At Sonoma a Goodyear helicopter landed in the staging area with a pair of slicks for his rear engine dragster. Publicity stunt for sure but it probably sold a few white letter Goodyear street tires.

IMG_3429.jpg

IMG_3428.jpg

Back