Trip Report

The Oracle

Registered
** Warning this trip report is a bit long winded **

Sunday, Oct. 26, my wife, my buddy Dan “the Red Rocketâ€, and I packed up and flew to Atlanta to take a 2-day course at Kevin Schwantz’s road racing school. The class takes place at Road Atlanta race track on rented Suzuki racing motorcycles.

Before I get into the meat of the story, let me start by introducing you to our riding instructor… Kevin Schwantz.

Grand Prix World Champion Kevin Schwantz raced only one way — he raced to win. When he made his move for a pass the world held its breath. His heart-stopping style and charismatic personality won him legions of loyal fans worldwide. By the time he was done, Schwantz amassed 25 Grand Prix wins, 21 lap records, 29 pole positions and the 1993 World Championship. When he retired, the FIM felt the loss to the sport was so significant that they retired his signature competition number 34. It’s the only time in the 53-year history of the sport that a rider has been so honored. Throughout his professional career, Schwantz always rode a Suzuki and never settled for second place.

Before I dive into the class, I also have to tell the story of Chris and Kim… Chris “Chain Smoker†is my buddy who wanted to go to the class with us, but couldn’t make it. Kimberly is his girlfriend and a friend of mine and Kristine’s. Anyway, since they weren’t coming down, Chris agreed to watch my Lab Tyler. Tyler ate something funky while we were gone and proceeded to leave the largest piles of diarrhea and vomit that you have ever seen (it was like 10 or more HUGE piles of diarrhea). They ended out staying up all night cleaning up the house and taking Tyler to the 24 hour animal hospital. Eventually, Tyler had to have surgery and is doing much better now. However, there is still a lingering smell in our house.

Dan and I couldn’t stop laughing about poor Chris and Kim not only missing a most excellent trip, class, and fun time… But, also having to clean up massive piles of doggie doo (wet ones mind you)! So, Dan asked Kevin if he would make a special picture and sign it for our friend. Kevin loved the idea and was laughing and telling the story to all of the other instructors. So, we took a picture of me and Dan on either side of Kevin and he signed this: “Chris, sorry you missed it. Thanks for picking up the poo! Kevin Schwantz #34.â€

Now onto the class — It was AWESOME! I learned more about riding in those two days, then I have in my whole life! The class was broken into two sections: Street and Advanced. Dan and I went street, because we had no track experience. The street class was then broken into three groups on the track: Slow, Medium, and Fast. We elected Medium for the majority of the 2 days. The class works like this… We have 20 minutes of class time while the advanced group is on the track. Then, we switch to the track for 20 minutes while the advanced group is in the classroom. It continued like this for the 2-days. 20 minutes equates to approximately 10 laps around the track.

On day one, Dan and I were pretty slow, even though we were going as fast as we ever have on the street. The day started with rain, so we had to be slower anyway. I am actually glad it started this way, because we got a little “slow†practice in before getting busy. We both started on SV-650’s which are slower but handle and brake very nicely.

Just before lunch, our instructor (you get one instructor per 3 or 4 students on the track) signaled me to pull ahead of him and lead the way around the track. I was stoked! But, it was at this point that I realized that I knew nothing about the track… I had been following the instructor’s line around the track and not looking for reference points to keep my line proper. Anyway, I went through turn 2 wrong and ended out on the wrong side of turn 3’s entrance. Turn 3 is a blind one, because you come over a big hill in 2. I almost went down slamming the brakes on and shifting to get around 3. The instructor passed me in turn 4 and once again asked me to follow him. That was my BIG lesson for the day. Must learn RP’s!

When lunch time came around, we sat at the table with Kevin Schwantz (as a-matter-of-fact, I sat beside him). We sat for an hour talking and laughing with one of the winningest and greatest motorcycle racers of all time! It was like a dream-come-true.

After lunch we got back on the track and now it was completely dry, so we were able to kick it up considerably! We switched bikes to the GSXR 600, which is substantially quicker with its higher HP and redline (the SV topped out around 125MPH and the GSXR was about 150MPH). Now we were getting a rhythm and were going much quicker. After each session on the track, your instructor takes you aside and talks about all of your ups and downs on the track. This was very essential to honing our skills.

When the class ended, we noticed Kevin and the other instructors heading down to the track. We ran down to the bleacher section and for the next half hour watched the coolest display of sheer madness ever. Kevin was on an SV600, someone else was on the SV1000, and the others were on GSXR 750’s. Unbelievably, Kevin was in the pack during many laps around the track. He is so fast, that even though it is impossible for him to keep up with the big bikes on the straights, he managed to hang because of his speed around the turns. This is pretty amazing when you consider that the back straight is 9/10 of a mile long! And, that his instructors are all world class racers!

After day one, we met at Kevin’s favorite restaurant (Mexican) and had dinner with everyone. It was a blast. We sat with two instructors and had the time-of-our-lives listening to heart-wrenching stories about Kevin.

By day two I was going mucho faster around the track and leaning further than I ever have before. I actually dragged my right knee one time (barely scraped it, but still!) and Dan was able to drag both of his. Half way through the day, I decided to move to the faster (of the three) groups and was flying around the track at speeds I could have only imagined the day before!

All-in-all, I chalk this up as the single most exciting learning experience of my life. It was only second to the day my wife said, “I do.†I would strongly recommend this class to anyone who is interested in motorcycles!

After this class, I have decided to sell my Hayabusa and stop riding on the street. I am planning to buy a track only 600cc bike and start doing days at the track!

See ya at the track,
Rip

After this class, I have decided to sell my Hayabusa and stop riding on the street.  I am planning to buy a track only 600cc bike and start doing days at the track!

See ya at the track,
Rip
Say it ain't so! I had thought about that class since I live near Atl, but if it'll make me want to sell the busa then I ain't goin'...

Glad you had a great experience, though. :super:

Why can't you ride on the street & the track?
I eat Italian food... doesn't stop me from eating Chinese.

Hey Rip,

I felt the same way after my first track day - buy a track bike and do track days. Don't give up your street bike - you'll miss it. Just get a track bike too for your "fast riding" and then your free to just enjoy riding on the street and not take unnecessary risks! I have another track day with Keith Code this coming Monday at Laguna Seca!

Kent Sheldon

Glad the class was such a great experience...and aren't you so glad you missed all the mess with your dog back home?! :D

You're the second person I've known to say that after hitting the track, they're stopping street riding all together...I don't think I could ever do it...it's apples and oranges...and I like 'em both! I'm with BT on this...if this is what happens after track days, I'll have to skip them! :tounge:

Get a good track bike, keep the Busa and enjoy them both when you can...

Hope you have some pics from the track... :super:

Here's a thought Rip, Sell the Busa *GASP* buy a good 600CC Track Bike and a Magna 750. That way since you will be getting all your aggressions out on the track, you will still have a respectable ride to toodle around on when your street bound. From Experiance the V-4 Magna 750's are pretty darn sweet machines, smooth, powerful enough for a cruiser, handle well, and the V-four is pretty different. Just a thought.

Wish I had the cash handy I'd buy your bike...Then a turbo, stretched swingarm, wheelie bars, and some custom Bullet Paint...Away I go...

Good luck man, you still going to be swinging by the board? And you might want to see if you can get hold of Howlin Mad somehow. As I am certain you remember, he did the same thing not too long ago... Good Luck bro...

Sounds like a great weekend. I have thought about riding like that for a long time, but don't know if I could actually get up the nerve to do it. And like everyone else has said, if I would want to give up the 'Busa afterwards it would take away some of the excitement.

Gonna miss you on the streets, but every rider has his/her own style. Who knows after enough track days you may decide to come back :D

Here's a thought Rip, Sell the Busa *GASP* buy a good 600CC Track Bike and a Magna 750.  That way since you will be getting all your aggressions out on the track, you will still have a respectable ride to toodle around on when your street bound.  From Experiance the V-4 Magna 750's are pretty darn sweet machines, smooth, powerful enough for a cruiser, handle well, and the V-four is pretty different.  Just a thought.

Wish I had the cash handy I'd buy your bike...Then a turbo, stretched swingarm, wheelie bars, and some custom Bullet Paint...Away I go...

Good luck man, you still going to be swinging by the board?  And you might want to see if you can get hold of Howlin Mad somehow.  As I am certain you remember, he did the same thing not too long ago...  Good Luck bro...
Perhaps the Magna or something similar is the key! My wife and I are considering having a baby and money will be tighter. The Hayabusa is an expesive piece of machinery to have around. Perhaps a used Magna or something.

It's not that I don't wanna ride on street at all... I just can't afford an expensive hobby like road racing and street riding.

Thanks for the tip bro,
Rip

Damn dude thats a major decision. poop just run the busa on the track. If you arent planning to race and just plan on doing track days, run the busa. You'll see me next season at Summit running the busa on NESBA track days. If are selling the bike and want to part the aftermarket parts. Look me up.

It's not that I don't wanna ride on street at all...  I just can't afford an expensive hobby like road racing and street riding.

Thanks for the tip bro,
Rip
You want to have a baby??! But You think Street & track riding are too expensive?? :eek:

Don't do it Bro... babies are waaayyyy more expensive. They
leak for the 1st 3-5 years of their life. They steal your
identity, wreak havoc on your time and next to women themselves are the most powerful money reducing agent known to man. :tounge:

Compared to that bikes, even multiple bikes are cheap.
Plus when you tire of a bike you can trade it in on anew more exciting model. The law kinda frowns on doing that
with kids.
blues.gif

Well that was my nickel(I spend big for a fellow Busa rider)

pirate.gif

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself I'm planning to do it with my club next year .I going  to get a track bike myself,but part of motorcycling to me is being on the open road with freinds checking the sights an twistie roads and lets not forget about the ladies.
Way too much info about your poouch I'm glad he's OK.

<!--EDIT|jetset
Reason for Edit: None given...|1067503013 -->

I know several guys that goes to Road Atlanta and own busa's and 600's. They say it's the best of both worlds, and wouldn't give up either one. However, they aren't planning on any more kids either...Good luck and remember you can still post.

For those who haven't been, it's hard to imagine the addictive experience of track days. It's alot MORE than what you DREAM it can be. Your decision makes perfect sense and you will be alot safer, yet prone to crashing ;) Invest in race leathers and back protectors and enjoy the HUGE rush! And post your pics here from your first experiences thru your advanced knee dragging. Then I can live vicariously thru you because, after my class, sadly, I choose the street route.

I dunno what to do. I am confused! Now I am considering keeping the busa buying a 250cc Ninja for track and upgrading to GSXR after first season.

HELP??!!

Am I going insane?

Keep the busa and pick up a SV650 for track days. Or just run the Busa on track days. Id like to see another Busa at Summit raceway.

Man, don't track the busa!  It's way to expensive a machine to lay down.  Check out this link:

amasuperbike.com

They have a classified section for used track bikes.  You can pick up a descent gsxr600 for $3500 or even a GSXR750 national Champion for like $6500.  Most are wired, have shocks, exhaust, bodywork, etc.

If you used a credit card or a home equity LOC we're talking about what, $50-$100/mo.?

Back