A Q to the Leo Busa Org boys ???

8Daytona8

Donating Member
Registered
Ok this is the "my temp never goes over half way on the gage" A$$ hole! Well i did a function check on the red lite today I'll tell ya. pretty bad crash on I4 west bound causing gridlock on east bound and I'm in the middle of it going from Michigan street to Daytona or SR44 at least. Busa getting hot after an hour or so in this crap! Fudge it I'm goin down the side to keep it cooled down, it worked sooo well i kept goin! Ok! a few road rage idiots later i pull back in after it opens up past 434, State Dic stops me for doin lets say double the limit! But also said I was called in as a lane splitter! he gave me the option of speeding or lane splitter! No brainer i thought! If my bike was to become disabled if i didn't keep it moving wouldn't that be a good reason to breake a rule ?? What should i do C the Judge
rock.gif

tough call......I think I'd go with the lane splitting vice "double" the speed limit......Not sure why, lane splitting seems less severe than the speeding tix and at least you have a reason for the violation.

Double the limit? I've ridden on the shoulder to get through, but not going that fast relative to the stopped traffic. Did he clock you at this speed or is there evidence of going this fast?

I dunno which would be worse, they are both probably points on your license kinds of tickets.

definitely take the lane splitting ticket and plead your case with the judge.
But your best bet would b just pay the fine.

When they gave you the option, was it twice the speed limit, or the limit for safe driving conditions?

Sorry to hear. I would probably try to plead it - but that's me...

Now, that said, I frequently get stuck in stop-n-go traffic on my way home from work. I installed a manual fan switch just to keep the temp down. When I hit the traffic, I'll flip the fan on - temp never rises above 1/2
wink.gif

Thanks 4 the suggestions! I was doing the speeding after the traffic started moving. U know the rubber neck zone! Wreck on the other side but everyone has to slow down to look. I passed a jam of cars @ double the speed limit the officer said! I said I was too busy payin attention to surroundings to know how fast I was going! I now find out I wasn't lane splitting cause I was using the shoulder of the road L-side. Man did that piss off some cagers
rock.gif
One lady was flailing herself from one side of the car to the other in rage! She almost hit the dividing wall tryin to ram me.

I'm screwed FL law on / Lane Splitting 316.209 Operating motorcycles on roadways laned for traffic (2) The operator of a motorcycle shall not overtake and pass in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken. (3) No person shall operate a motorcycle between lanes of traffic or between adjacent lines or rows of vehicles.

Or am I ? What is the shoulder of a road used for? Isn't it to get a disabled vihicle off the lanes of traffic, I was just putsin along on the shoulder a bit faster than walking pass, the dividing wall was at times maybe 4' from a car's mirror at some points.
Law reads
The operator of a motorcycle shall not overtake and pass in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken. (3) No person shall operate a motorcycle between lanes of traffic or between adjacent lines or rows of vehicles.

Here's the problem, when you get in to court unless the leo just doesn't really care; he must testify to the facts, meaning twice the speed and lane splitting.

When I worked for a department that allowed officers discretion I always told folks " If you come to court and contest me I'll be forced to amend the violations to the max because I can only testify to the facts. "

Good Luck, Judges aren't usually big on excuses. I understand you're pain. No back roads to get around that shid
rock.gif

If you were in an emergency situation- trying to get home because wife was in labor, someone dying, etc I think you would have been ok, but you were pissy because your bike was overheating and broke the law.

Suck it up sunshine. Get ready to get some points and pay some taxes.

Or, start crying MOMMYYYYY and maybe the nice Sheriff will let you out early, Paris.
lurk.gif

(Ken02busa @ Jun. 09 2007,17:23) If you were in an emergency situation- trying to get home because wife was in labor, someone dying, etc I think you would have been ok, but you were pissy because your bike was overheating and broke the law.

Or, start crying MOMMYYYYY and maybe the nice Sheriff will let you out early, Paris.

jump9.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
(Ken02busa @ Jun. 09 2007,14:23) Suck it up sunshine. Get ready to get some points and pay some taxes.

lurk.gif
Ok see... That $%^& was funny right there.

I say suck it up. You know you broke the law, do the crime, take the fine! in this case i would have done the same but if i was caught for it, ide take the lane splitting and pay it, maybe go to traffic school to get rid of the points. you could try to take it to court and explain, but the judge is only going to say you should have parked it then. Lets get serious, when was the last time a law enforcement personel ever helped out a sportbiker anyway?!

Hey yawl are rite! I ain't denying it I broke the law (How ever a gray area it is) I started out thinking when I got on I4 it was just normal 4:30 ish Friday crap! But when I got out of the city area say past colonial and it was still 20ft and stop I knew it was going to be hell! I had my summer Joe on and the heat was stifling!!! And as far as I was concerned there was no place to exit that wasn't full of other frustrated pissed off almost POSTAL cagin "A" holes already! If I made it to Lake Mary I was, but like I said it cleared @ 434 where there wasn't a thing but rubber necks to blame for the hold up at that point! I told the officer my bike was overheating and got a reply alot do! The prob is I got a safe driver CDL with Haz Mat endorsement. Can't loose it. I know shouldn't have a bike like a BUSA.
bowdown.gif
beerchug.gif
super.gif

(BA BUSA @ Jun. 09 2007,21:56) So the traffic was creepy @ 20 ft. at a time
rock.gif
Yep and i put up with go stop go stop for over an hour B4 i said to hell with this! Every one was getting desperat and not having a cage around ya and AC blowin on ya is not a good thing! I would do it all over again! I'm goin to court
argue.gif
I don't think the Leo had me on any device that could tell him how fast i was going! I was rippin though.
SHOCKED.gif

Yep, you broke the law. But...

The shoulder is used for emergencies and to move a vehicle off the road that has broken down, yes. However, a case could be made that should you have stayed in traffic on the motorcycle you could have "broken down" and had to push a 500 lb. bike to the shoulder. Thus, causing more congestion.

You could also state that you could have stopped the bike on the shoulder to let it cool. Then again, basically being a pedestrian on a highway's inner shoulder with a relatively small vehicle would be a liability for you and other traffic as well. In addition, it's quite possible the bike would have taken a great deal of time to cool off given the heat of the day and the heat the surrounding traffic was giving off and you might have been there for a good length of time.

With all that said, the law is black and white. It was broken. The Judge's job is to listen and make an informed judgement. So from that vantage point it might be worth the fight.

My two cents is, you know you were on the shoulder go much faster than you needed to cool the bike. Take the lumps and save the taxpayers some money.

Wait a minute-- Did the officer write you up on BOTH infractions? If he gave you a choice, and you chose lane splittin--- then that is all the the infraction should be for. if he wrote you up on both-- well- good luck.. but if he only wrote you up on one-- that is the only one up for debate.
just realized this is an old post-- so how did it go?

(Ken02busa @ Jun. 09 2007,17:23) If you were in an emergency situation- trying to get home because wife was in labor, someone dying, etc I think you would have been ok, but you were pissy because your bike was overheating and broke the law.

lurk.gif
Someone brought this one back up and I just have to say I follow all those excuses to their destination for proof
laugh.gif

Back