A new stable mate

OB_Don Vernay

Registered
Well guys, I have been lurking for a few weeks but would like to announce that today I put my initial deposit on a Blue Y2K Busa as a stable mate for my R1. The bike is at the dealer's and I will pick it up in a couple of weeks,as soon as I get done with a murder trial. I think that it will be wonderful company for my 99 R1, and I am planning a trip from Montana to WSB at Laguna in July.

If anyone is planning on heading down there from the Northwest, let me know and perhaps we can hook up in Portland or something.

Interesting! I've just registered here and started looking at the posts as I've made the firm decision that a red/grey '00 Busa will be just perfect to accompany my 99 Red/Wh/Black R1. Seems to me that the Busa will suit me fine as a great sport tourer. Regards all

hey good luck to both of you it will be nice to have the best of both worlds(handling@top end my busa sits next to a 916

ray

The Busa is actually a little too warrior-like to make a comfortable sport-touring road machine, unless you are hard-core. I am, so it's perfect for me. I like to bring a lot of fuel and horsepower along with me when I travel, and not much else. Since the R1 is such a handler, the Busa can't really beat it out in that area, but it's not a very tour-ish bike either. My cruiser is an old GS1100, the Busa is the crotch rocket in my stable. But I'll still do some 500-mile days on it.

Bummer deal that I missed the big group!! It helps when I get to bed before 5 A.M. Hopefully I'll catch an inspection of your Busa set up for the road soon though.

The reason for not driving a 427 Impala much these days is gas at almost $2 per gallon. Ouch. It's definitely the heyday of the motorcycle!!! Soccer Moms in SUV's can suck me!! :)

You guys will find you don't ride the R1 much. Or the Impala either.

After the riding position on the R1, the Busa feels downright comfy to me.

Hell, even looks like you might be able to take a passenger ;-)

I have the R1 parked next to the Busa and it looks awesome. It looks like two Fighter Jets in an airplane hangar. Actually, the R1's riding position is more comfy than the Busa to me because of the unusually high pegs on the Busa.

Don V., from reading the first part of your post, I was about to ask who you killed; then I saw it's all OK- you are an attorney. Grand Vitesse, Murphys is a great area, and the Busa will be a great bike on those roads. My mom lives in Placerville, so we might hook up on one of my visits if you like.
I had a cabin at Camp Connell for 25 years.

Mr. Bear, you are right, the STOCK Busa isn't the greatest Sport Tourer. With the right mods, it's amazing how good it can be.
If you had got your lazy butt outa the sack and got to Stir Crazy on time you coulda checked out a bike with those mods.8=)

And there will probably be another murder trial if I don't sell the 750 Katana that sits next to my Busa,lonely and forgotten!My wife threatens me on a regular basis,and since I also have a 68' Impala 396 convertible, and a 69' SS 427 Impala in there as well, she feels shorted or something. I say,keep em' all! She can have the bathroom- the garage is mine!

SlowHand, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Murphys IS central to some great roads on which to exercise sport bikes. Especially late spring through fall, the spectacular Sierra mountain passes offer challenging 250-300 mile loops, everything from wicked twisties to high speed sweepers---just awesome and not a whole lot of cages to contend with. Whenever you're up this way and have a little extra time, let me know.

As I mentioned, I've decided for a '00 Busa and will get around to picking one up soon, but I have a question that I hope someone may shed some light. California v. 49 state model: Do I understand that there's additional maintenance on the CA? If so, what's the extent? Any other drawbacks? And is it worth the extra effort of going for the 49 state model?

As to the Busa being used as a sport-tourer, no question for me hands down. As its stablemate will be my R1, the Busa will work for me as the ergonomics are not a problem and the power is the ultimate. Like having cake and eating it too.

The best touring bike I ever owned was a 76 BMW R7 750 with a Vetter-esque fairing and a spring-mounted Solo Saddle, much like the cop kawasaki saddles. 6.5 gal tank. LA - SF via 101 and 1, two stops. Once for gas. Once for view along Big Sur.

Busa is far and away the ultimate sport tourer. I have to stop a lot more often for gas, stretch out the kinks, etc., but the rides in-between are incomparable.

Oh Yeah?!?!? We'll next to MY 2000 Blue/Silver Hayabusa sits.....my lawn mower. heh heh. Wow R1 and 'busa? Duc and 'busa? Cool.

Godzuki, that just means you are a hard-core sport-touring nutcase, like me. :) Try back-to-back 800 mile days on an 1100 sportbike, as in Seattle to Denver via Portland, leaving Saturday morning, arriving Sunday evening. Gold Wing my a s s.

Back