8th mile advice - greenhorn in the seat

r1d3on3

Registered
I've attached a compilation of recorded 8th mile passes I made this last Friday night plus some of my time slips (which I'm a little disappointed in, I had 6.20's and 6.30's in my mind prior to going out there with my drag radial). The video link is below the time slip photo. I'm still green to the drag races so I'm looking for any and all positive criticism. The previous Friday I was on a Battleaxe BT015 and spinning like mad all night with most my passes being in the 6.80's, 6.90's and one or two above a 7.00 with my fastest pass being a 6.52. So this week I bought a Shinko Hook Up, which for the record when heated does hook up! :thumbsup: Now I seem to have a problem bogging. I'm 17/43 gearing and weigh 145 lbs. I'm pretty well getting off the clutch right away and getting wot before the rpm drops down as you will see in the video. I tried leaving at various rpm's from 6k-7k and once even at 7500. Lubbock, Tx is 3256 ft. above sea level and the humidity was really high that night which is unusual for this area. It was high enough there was water dripping off the top of my shop roof when I got home that night. I did notice most my passes were in the 6.60-6.70 range and a couple of 6.50's this time so there was some improvement. I just couldn't keep from bogging and didn't want to leave at 8k really. Something about trying to leave at 8k just kind of intimidated me a little I guess...I dunno, I didn't want to take off and be laying on my back looking at the sky. I've ordered a 16 tooth front and 45 tooth rear to play around with which should come in this week before next Friday night and maybe that will help me some. Anyhow...tell me what you think, good or bad, I'm trying to learn. Thanks guys :beerchug:

8th mile times.jpg

Attachments

• 8th mile racing.wmv
    28.2 MB · Views: 121
first is reaction time, seems a bit slow but that comes with practice of course.
your 60' times aren't horrible and you are consistent around the top end. Changing your gearing will help for sure, though will possibly make it much more difficult to keep both wheels down.... even for the entire pass :laugh:

Any other mods to your bike? is it bone stock? lots of things can be done to help get some additional speed. I'm sure some of the more hard core drag guys will chime in soon. :thumbsup:

The best thing you can do is keep practicing but remember its a pretty $$$ hobby :whistle:

first is reaction time, seems a bit slow but that comes with practice of course.
your 60' times aren't horrible and you are consistent around the top end. Changing your gearing will help for sure, though will possibly make it much more difficult to keep both wheels down.... even for the entire pass :laugh:

Any other mods to your bike? is it bone stock? lots of things can be done to help get some additional speed. I'm sure some of the more hard core drag guys will chime in soon. :thumbsup:

The best thing you can do is keep practicing but remember its a pretty $$$ hobby :whistle:

Just Brock's AH w/ Bazzaz, tuned by JC. Brock's clutch mod and cushion kit. Aside from that just little stuff that prob can't tell anything on paper really

Sorry for the crappy video and sound, I just can't grit my teeth and buy a GoPro HD, plus it's through a smoke windscreen at night...

Don't worry about the reaction time until you get your launch down. Try leaving at a lower RPM. Notice how you are reving it to 8k and it drops to 3-4k with the bog. Try leaving at 3k with no drop. You should be feeding the gas and slipping the clutch just enough to get you moving and wide open with NO drop in RPM. Heck, try leaving at idle if you have to just don't let the RPM drop.

You may also try racing at another track if you can just to compare timing equipment because your MPH is to low, it should be 117+...

I can't find the video link with gauge shot but just listen to there runs and watch body position...

See how he's leaving:
- hayabusa vs. zx14 AGAIN! Andrew Patterson Greer Dragway[/url]

Listen to Shine launch:
- 2008 Hayabusa with Brocks Alien Head[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry about the reaction time until you get your launch down. Try leaving at a lower RPM. Notice how you are reving it to 8k and it drops to 3-4k with the bog. Try leaving at 3k with no drop. You should be feeding the gas and slipping the clutch just enough to get you moving and wide open with NO drop in RPM. Heck, try leaving at idle if you have to just don't let the RPM drop.

You may also try racing at another track if you can just to compare timing equipment because your MPH is to low, it should be 117+...

I can't find the video link with gauge shot but just listen to there runs and watch body position...

See how he's leaving:

Listen to Shine launch:

+1 on the launch advice. Lower the RPM of the launch and keep it consistent until the clutch is fully engaged by steadily rolling the throttle and slipping the clutch. Unless you've got major hp, a really sticky tire/track, and some wheelie bars, dumping the clutch won't get it done.

I am going to guess looking at your reaction time that you are leaving when the light is green? That is a no no, anything over .4 sec tells me your waiting for the green light to show. You need to leave on a pro tree as soon as you see the yellows flash on. If your on the other tree then you leave as soon as the last yellow light is on just before the green. That alone will bring your RT to less than .4 easily.

Good news is your 60' are all consistent and 1.7 is not too shabby at all. Before turbo I launched at 4 - 5k easily. Remember to give your clutch time to cool off between runs especially launching at 7k.

See how he's leaving:

Listen to Shine launch:

I wasn't really worrying about the reaction time that night as much as my launch, I've got a bunch of .50 reaction times and even a few in the .4's from the prior weekend. It's fun leaving people sitting at the line :thumbsup:

Thanks for the clutch advice guys. I mentioned trying to leave like that as a suggestion and all the car guys including my stepdad acted like that was dumbest idea I had ever come up with... ??? I almost felt dumb for mentioning it... I guess I should maybe have not taken their advice as serious as I did. That goes to show that old people don't know everything :lol: I've watched that Brock's video numerous times and listened to him slip the clutch and that came to mind at the track but I listened to my stepdad pretty much instead.

I really appreciate the advice guys, keep it coming! Maybe I shouldn't have spent a little over 100 bucks on gearing...

Looking good seat time and you will get faster.. Keep up the good work, remember our air sucks. You will not have the big mph that you see online with bro..

Last edited:
Back