Clutch after many 1/8th mile passes

r1d3on3

Registered
I just thought I would share this on the .org. I am impressed. I have 12,400 miles on my bike, I'm going to guestimate near 80-90 passes at the 1/8th mile, may have clutched up a few wheelies here and there, and the pictures are the results of the above riding. After about the first easy 2000 miles on the bike I put the Brock's clutch mod in, then last year before I started drag racing I dropped the Brock's clutch cushion kit in. Other than that the rest is original oem parts. This is my first time being involved in drag racing pretty much and I'm having a blast. I had to check out all the clutch parts before this season got going good. I am still learning alot and my fastest pass which I made last Sunday is a 6.41 @ 114 mph. I got consistent in the 6.40's Sunday and was running MR12 but I think I could do alot better if I can learn to launch. My 60 ft's suck and are in the 1.60's. I leave at around 6500 rpm and clutch out a little ways but I'm still bogging. I hate riding out the clutch but I guess I'm going to have to do that a little bit more. I've been running a shinko hook-up and it does hook up damn good. I'm slammed and strapped and geared 16/45 right now. I'm looking at changing up my gearing and coming up one tooth in the front to get away from the tight bend a 16 tooth makes and then maybe up 2-3 more in the back to make up for it. I'm also going to try riding that clutch out a little further off the line. I'm at right around 3,000 ft. elevation. Any tips or ideas are greatly appreciated. I weigh 145 lbs. btw :beerchug:

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0015.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_0029.JPG

IMG_0037.JPG

I think if you come up one tooth in the front you will have a good gear setup. 17-45 on the Gen II is a nice setup and at your weight I would think that you could come out around 5,000 to 5500 rpm on the launch and that would be plenty. I think you may be taking too long to get to full throttle and your times are suffering from that. At your weight you could leave off idle and run 6.40s. I dont think you need more gear just try and be mindful of when you get to full throttle and try to get there at the tree or atleast by the time you get to the 60' mark.

CLutch looks good, IMO.

Try launching at a lower RPM, around 4k. My Gen 1 launched better at 4k than 6k, even after I stretched it

I think if you come up one tooth in the front you will have a good gear setup. 17-45 on the Gen II is a nice setup and at your weight I would think that you could come out around 5,000 to 5500 rpm on the launch and that would be plenty. I think you may be taking too long to get to full throttle and your times are suffering from that. At your weight you could leave off idle and run 6.40s. I dont think you need more gear just try and be mindful of when you get to full throttle and try to get there at the tree or atleast by the time you get to the 60' mark.

Let me ask you this, I'm footshifting, so do you know if most people footshifting leave with their gear foot on the peg ready for the next shift or leave with both down for better balance off the launch? I've seen it done both ways and I've tried it both ways, I like leaving with both feet down better. I felt pretty off balance and it just didn't feel right with only one foot down.

I learned to do it with one foot down, as my legs are long and I have a hard time getting them up onto the pegs. Now I have an airshifter, so I have more time now :laugh:

Think your gearing is to short.
My weight is nearly 170 suited ,and i have my best results with 16-42 and its hard to keep the shortbike down.
i launch at 3.500 fast wot and slipping the clutch.(bit to far but work on it , i dont like wheelies higher than 2")

My 60s are 1.70...need seat time...but my ETs are constant 6.50 at 115
so with your 1.60 you should be faster. maybe you have one shift to much ,which makes .08 -0,1 second.
Im not realy fast but dropped in one season my 60s from 2.0 to 1.70 by launching with lower rpm.
footshift and left on peg (not feeling comfortable in the beginning) but now works fine for me.
Read the story of professor ,i learned a lot of it.

For the shifting - it is totally worth the $$ to go with an air shifter. I have the same problem - long legs and difficult to get the feet on the pegs after the launch. Look at the ecu air shifter setups - the only way to go with a busa.

Back