6th gear slippage

Endri

Registered
Hi all,
Last week I bought an 04 busa with 1400 miles. Bike looks and feels brand new, however, sixth is slipping every time I am in sixth and quickly pull & release the clutch. I don't understand why, as this doesn't happen in any other gear, and not even from 5th to 6th. Any ideas? Thx, Endri

More explanation to give a better idea:
I'm doing about 70-80 and I pull the clutch, and the bike gives me that neutral feeling, as if I shifted from 6th to neutral. If I let go the clutch, the bike will stay on neutral, but if I kick it up, it will go back to 6th, or 5th if I kick it down.

I found the gears a little stiff on my '04 to begin with. You need to think about your shifting and do it with a deliberate purpose. You might also want to adjust the shifter down so that 6th isn't as much of a "stretch" for your foot. I missed some shifts in the early days mainly because I wasn't putting enough "input" into the shifts.

Once I had 2000+ miles and a couple of oil changes on my 'Busa shifting got much easier/smoother.

Are you using full synthetic oil? My dealership told me that full synthetic can cause slippage. I don't know if that is true or not. They recommended the semi-synthetic.

Are you using full synthetic oil?  My dealership told me that full synthetic can cause slippage.  I don't know if that is true or not.  They recommended the semi-synthetic.
this little statment is not true, mechanical problem or the lever isn't adj. properly is the reason ( if you are getting a false neutral) the only oil I found the will cause slippage on a stock clutch is castrol full syn......& yes I do use full syn, it's moble one 5w-30......not a prblem & I have 20k on my 2002 with a 1430cc motor!

False neutral between 5th and 6th is common on new busas.

Not sure if it goes away or the rider learns to shift with more force....

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1153838815 -->

False neutral between 5th and 6th is common on new busas.

Not sure if it goes away or the rider learns to shift with more force....
I've experienced that on mine, too. The first day I rode it I noticed. I learned to shift hard and it has only happened to me one other time when I was being "lazy with the foot".

So, yeah, shift like you mean it!!!

I got 7,000 on my '06 and still get the false neutral between 5 & 6. I've stopped worring 'bout it and just live with it. Doesn't seem to be doing any damage to the trannie.

I got 7,000 on my '06 and still get the false neutral between 5 & 6.  I've stopped worring 'bout it and just live with it.  Doesn't seem to be doing any damage to the trannie.
when that happens to me my GI PRO says 0
biggrin.gif

Damn you monster--I'm still waiting for my GI PRO. Now they say it'll be here NEXT Monday!!!!!!

well it does happen if to my new 06 when i rode it 5th - 6th does have that effect once awhile ,but when it had 10k miles onwards things should be ok.. I think is the running in of the gearing on new bike kind of thing ..not so sure abt that .. As i know for sure .. for the start it does have this effects..

well it does happen if to my new 06 when i rode it 5th - 6th does have that effect once awhile ,but when it had 6k miles onwards things should be ok.. I think is the running in of the gearing on new bike kind of thing ..not so sure abt that .. As i know for sure .. for the start it does have this effects..

(gtblades @ Jul. 25 2006,01:38) Are you using full synthetic oil?  My dealership told me that full synthetic can cause slippage.  I don't know if that is true or not.  They recommended the semi-synthetic.
My 05 was flawless until "I" changed my own oil and put a full synthetic in. Now my busa is slipping in 4th gear?
I see the tack jump up in the middle of 4th, I crack the throttle, no clutch, & no shift It sounds & feels like I hit a patch of ICE, but the rear doesn't fish tail?
I'm gonna switch to semi-synthetic and see if that makes a difference.

Now mine does something similar, however its when im in sixth. I was racing a friend on his stretched and finely massaged motor. I hit 145 and let off the throttle since there was no way i was going to catch that monster lol. Anyway, the bike kicked out of gear once i got off the throttle....this is the 3rd time its done that to me....kinda scary

My GiPro actually indicates "0" for the false 5-6 neutral. Its got me wondering how the h*** thats possible. GPS?

Its deffinatly a new bike/tight trans problem. My '06 did it for the first 2000 miles. I've only done it twice since then. Its a combo of new/tight trans and getting used to shifting with an attitude. Try dropping the shift lever down to give you easier leverage with your foot and nail the shift. You won't break it.

Back