6.8 resistor

ram4whldr

Registered
I have searched forever trying to find the exact way to wire in the resistor to do the same thing as a tre. This way I don't have to waste the money on one. If anyone can tell me exactly how to do this (colors of wires, etc...), I would greatly appreciate it!

I know there's a diagram out there...

But if memory serves me, lift the tank and on the left side you will see a 3-conductor connector, Pink, Blue, Black wires. One side goes to the GPS (Gear Position Sensor), the other back to the ECU.

Separate the connector and using a T-pin or something similar, remove the pins for the Pink and Black wires going to the ECU. Install the resistor to these connections (I used crimp connectors on the resistor and plugged the wires into them; easy to go back) and tape and/or heat-shrink the connections. Make sure you re-connect the original plug.

One of these days, I'll spend an evening and make it switchable.

HTH...

Oh yeah. To test if the TRE is working...

While in neutral, rev'er up to around 2000 - 2500 RPM. Then, while holding that RPM, pull the clutch in, you should see a drop in RPM by about 500 RPM. If you don't something isn't wired correctly.

Only thing I can think of is resistors get warm and hot, so place it wisely. I don't know if it works, let us know.

I haven't run into any issues. I've had my 6.8K resistor there for over a year and it's been fine. I just used electrical tape to tape it good to keep moisture out. Then I just tucked it back in with the rest of the wires in the bundle. I felt that $20 was kinda high for a resistor that I already had in my electronics stuff!

I pulled it out a couple of months ago to see how it was doing and it's fine. (I figured since any current going thru it is minimal...all the ECU is doing is sensing the resistance of the GPS to know what gear you're in.)

This will work, all you need to do is make sure you show the resistance on the correct side of the wire.  It will be the side closer to the ECU and not the side from the tranny.  Make sure you ground one side of the risistor (the black wire at the plug is a negative wire) so the resistor will show the correct value.  Tape up the non-used side of the pink wire and you are good to go. I recommend to solder and shrink wrap the wires for safety.  

Remember, if you are a track junkie like me, a TRE will slow you down at the track...

<!--EDIT|sully
Reason for Edit: None given...|1124235829 -->

Hey!

I think I know what a TRE is!

TRE Motorsports

But wouldn't adding a Porsche part to my Busa only slow it down? Even, My grandma can outrun a Porsche! ;)

My first shot at a humorus post ... What do you think?

Oh, come on... someone ask the question!
biggrin.gif

Whats a TRE
rock.gif

...Its that thing that has green leaves, and you can get shade from it. It also helps in converting CO2 to O2
tounge.gif

<!--EDIT|shenoyp
Reason for Edit: None given...|1124270459 -->

Some of you are making yourself look like idiots. Did you ever see in my original question that I asked what a tre is? I didn't think so! I would appreciate it if you would quit trying to make ME look like the idiot here!

Some of you are making yourself look like idiots.  Did you ever see in my original question that I asked what a tre is?  I didn't think so!  I would appreciate it if you would quit trying to make ME look like the idiot here!
Calm down playa. Any topic with the word "TRE" will have this question asked. If your topic was "I just installed a TRE", guess what, the question will still arise.

Now my question about this is, wouldn't this void your warranty? Getting the plug-n-go version may be better as you can remove it before taking it to the shop.

I really don't care about the warranty being that the bike will probably never see my dealership again. Can't stand the people in service or sales. But my uncle owns a motorcycle shop that builds custom bikes, so I let him do all the work on my bike.

I really don't care about the warranty being that the bike will probably never see my dealership again.  Can't stand the people in service or sales.  But my uncle owns a motorcycle shop that builds custom bikes, so I let him do all the work on my bike.
Lucky you, I would do everything too if I could get all the right tools.

Someday I will have them but for now I'm stuck taking to them.

Back