380 CCA Battery

Robot

Donating Member
Registered
Hello Everyone,

I don't post much anymore but, found some useful information I will share. My K8 is two years old, almost as soon as I purchased it, it suffered "warm starting problems". I believe these are actually heat soaked starter issues combined with a barely adequate factory battery.

Two years ago I upgraded to the Schnitz higher amperage battery,(235 Cold Cranking Amps Vs. 176 Cold Cranking Amps OEM). This battery worked great until last week, when the same "warm starting problems" showed up again. Is two years a very short battery life? I keep my bike garaged a ride almost every week, so I did not purchase a battery tender, perhaps I should have?

Anyway Schnitz now has a 380 CCA Battery! Almost sounds too good to be true. I purchased and installed over Thanksgiving. So far very very happy, the Busa has never turned over so quickly!

Link to Schnitz:

Battery, Suzuki Hayabusa * Schnitz Motorsports Inc

The description says for Gen 1, but works fine in my Gen 2.
The seat needs to be modified to accomedate this slightly taller battery, no big deal for my dremel tool. The battery has NO OEM markings, this started me investigating. Battery tabs also need to be straightened.

I believe the OEM, or originating distributor is Westco Battery, but I'm not sure which particular battery:

WestCo Battery - Motorcycle Batteries and Marine Batteries

I'm happy an even higher amperage battery is available with a minimun amount of modification.

1st pic is Battery Installation instructions

Inst.jpg

Last edited:
Flattened battery terminals. The terminals on top of the OEM terminals, are for my accessory power system. Currently only accessory is the illuminated frame sliders, (minimal current draw).

Lower pic is remant of removed OEM? Info, from the batteries box. This is how I came to the "Westco" OEM conclusion.

Batt.jpg

Westco.jpg

Last edited:
I will update this post with any relevant information, PM me if you have any questions.

My wife, son and I have been well, Thanks for all your PM's. I have been busy. I'm about 85% done on my .50 BMG build.

Y'all Ride Safe, and God Bless! Regards, John (a.k.a. Robot)

You also need to upgrade you battery cables........

Because..........................Because starter is consuming all those extra amps? Not likely in my opinion.

The starter is still the starter, it's rated current draw has not changed, only the supply of amps(which the factory battery marginally supplied).

No additional Load, only Supply. Cables are (over)specified for the Load.

Last edited:
Battery tender might help the new battery live longer. Mine had a hard to start moment the day I rode her home and stopped for gas before going to the house. Haven't had it act up since. Higher compression in the Gen II motor too.

Good seeing you again.

I run a 750ca battery to start mine. High comp1441cc race engine. HC600 powercell. Had to grind inside of subframe and lay the batt on its side to fit. NO MORE 24V system:beerchug:

Battery tender might help the new battery live longer. Mine had a hard to start moment the day I rode her home and stopped for gas before going to the house. Haven't had it act up since. Higher compression in the Gen II motor too.

Good seeing you again.

Thanks DO3 :beerchug:

I run a 750ca battery to start mine. High comp1441cc race engine. HC600 powercell. Had to grind inside of subframe and lay the batt on its side to fit. NO MORE 24V system:beerchug:

Cool! :thumbsup: I'm trying to stay as close to factory as possible with my factory engine.

Back