Battery puzzle on an 08

4HSMEN

Registered
Question: Did not ride for about six months and had to replace the battery. Purchased a battery tender to avoid the same again. Six months since last rides due to work and today even with battery tender the bike is dead (lights only) The battery has enough juice to start my wife's gsxr1000 but nothing on mine. Before I end up with a third battery, should I remove it completely then put it on the tender if I am not riding for awhile?
Last time I put a battery in the guy at the shop said nothing was draining it.
Any ideas?? thanks

get the manual and troubleshoot it. it will give you several things to check. are all the yuasa batt?

I guess I would pull the battery and put a good charge on it and take it to a parts place to have it load tested.

Follow the troubleshooting procedure in the manual to see if you have a major drain on the bike. Battery Tender should handle an alarm system.

Make sure the battery tender is good to go.

Oh, forgot :poke: make sure my bike gets the rectifier recall completed. Which has nothing to do with a stored bike :laugh:

Oh, forgot :poke: make sure my bike gets the rectifier recall completed. Which has nothing to do with a stored bike :laugh:

Recall? Rectifier? ok I guess I am really out of the loop these days. I didn't get any notice on that one.

Thanks for the info

Recall? Rectifier? ok I guess I am really out of the loop these days. I didn't get any notice on that one.

Thanks for the info

The recall just came out last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if it is the recall issue. Took the battery to the dealer and it takes a load just fine. Dealer said if it was the rectifier it should still start. So I am not sure what to do short of towing to those rip offs.

Not sure if it is the recall issue. Took the battery to the dealer and it takes a load just fine. Dealer said if it was the rectifier it should still start. So I am not sure what to do short of towing to those rip offs.

rectifier shouldnt cause the batt to lose juice when not being used. get a multimeter that can do diode testing, ac and dc. you can troubleshoot the whole system with it and find the problem. it outlines it in the service manual. its easier for you to read it and understand it than for someone to interpret it for you.

Bad Alt. is not going to cause the battery to go dead and the motors not running.

No, I was just telling you about the recall I tried to be clear that that wouldn't cause your problem. You need to get the manual and do the drain test. If nothing else start disconnecting anything electrical that you added to the bike. It's usually something that an owner has added.

Back