2nd GEAR SLIP @ 9K RPM ?

FireMedic

Registered
Need some knowledge from the BUSA gods! Any help would be appreciated.

2007 Hayabusa
6200 Miles
PowerCommander3 USB w/ brocks Fuel/Air Map
Full Alien Head Brocks Exhaust
Brocks Air Box Mod
Stretched 6 inches
KNC chain (Good condition, Cheap chain) lol
Vortex 43 Rear sprocket, Factory Front Sproclet
ZBomb TRE
SpeedoHealer
Other cosmetic MODS

So here is my problem:
Yesterday I noticed the when I am wide open in 2nd gear at about 8500-9000Rpms I felt a lil slip. At the time I thought I just hit a bump in the road.
Today I ran it and played around and confirmed that only in 2nd gear at full throttle @8500-9000 Rpms it feels like a (slip is the only way I can think to describe it) but just for a split descond.
It has never done this before and the bike runs perfect other then this issue.

I am very good about maintenance and have a little knowledge of mechanics but its limited.

Any advice to point me in the right direction would be appreciated.
Happy Memorial Day!

Older Pic :lol:

BUSA.jpg

Not an expert. Make sure it doesn't do it in other gears. The clutch, chain, and sprockets are common to all six gears. Sounds like 2nd gear might be failing. Known issue for Gen I bikes. Wait for the experts.

I'm thinking the same as you and hoping it's nothing major. Hopefully the experts can give me more info.

Second gear for sure, pull the motor, and have it undercut!

I just sent my complete shafts to APE. They have a better eye than mine. They replaced a couple gears and cut what was needed. Done and no more problems for me. Don't forget you will probably need at least one shift fork and maybe fork shafts. I did. They make stronger shafts for pretty cheap. If you don't fix all that's bad you'll be getting gears again. Happy shifting!

There is another thread pretty similar to this one... Like I said in the last one, troubleshoot the simple stuff first. Sounds to me like you need to rule out the clutch being worn first. But the issue is you cant really test it the same way at WOT in 3rd gear without having your license revoked, and in first gear there might not be enough resistance due to the gearing to break the clutch loose. Clutches are made to wear, and it is a lot more likely to go than a gear. If it is jumping dogs you are going to hear a pretty nasty noise where as the clutch breaking loose is going to be silent, except for the motor revving out. Good luck

Back