2009 Busa stopped working today

platinumnj

Registered
All,

I bought my bike back in DEC 2009. As many of you may know I haven't ridden my bike more than 200 miles, and since I came home back in the states this week I put about 80 miles on it. I made sure my wife started my bike weekly while I was gone, but while I was riding today I noticed that my gauges went out, and I got an F1 red light on my bike. Then all of a sudden my bike shuts off and wont restart, I tried chargning the battery, but to no avail. I am going to betaking my bike back to the dealer tomorrow, hopefully what ever is wrong is covered in the extended warranty I purchased.

Has anyone else experienced this????

maybe you have a dead (or dying) battery? take your battery to your local auto parts store and get it checked for free. was battery hooked up to a battery tender while it sat? warming up alone while bike is on its sidestand is not enough.

Last edited:
Nope...It wasn't...I will take the battery to the auto store in the morning. My wife thinks that it is something more and that it should be covered under the warranty. Are batteries covered under warranty???

All,

I bought my bike back in DEC 2009. As many of you may know I haven't ridden my bike more than 200 miles, and since I came home back in the states this week I put about 80 miles on it. I made sure my wife started my bike weekly while I was gone, but while I was riding today I noticed that my gauges went out, and I got an F1 red light on my bike. Then all of a sudden my bike shuts off and wont restart, I tried chargning the battery, but to no avail. I am going to betaking my bike back to the dealer tomorrow, hopefully what ever is wrong is covered in the extended warranty I purchased.

Has anyone else experienced this????

Here's a sheet with FI codes on them, but if it's throwing those inside of a couple months old and you've done no major mods, I'd already be inside of the dealership talking to someone. Have you performed, or did she/someone take it in for the 1st service yet? This is usually one of their primary tools to tell you to go and pound sand. It's usually 600 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. You should certainly be covered under warranty if you've adhered to everything. Good luck :thumbsup:

FI_System_Malfuntion_Codes.jpg

That sucks. If the battery was not charged on a regular, than I could be gone. No matter how many times she started it. Battery tender is a must have.

I'll bet it's the battery. Your dealership set up/pre-delivery technician didn't properly prepare and charge the new battery. The guy that does mine on my new bikes knows his business and told me that initial battery preparation is the most crucial part of setting up a new out-of-crate motorcycle.
Note: I have never needed a battery tender in all the decades I've been riding and I live in snow country where I usually only start a garaged bike 2 or 3 times a month during the winter. Knock-on-wood, have never had a battery failure.

Last edited:
More than likely Battery, Just staqrting a bike wont keep the Battery charged, you have to get those RPMs up to keep it charged, Have the Battery checked and replaced if need be and get yourself a Battery Tender.

Keep us posted on what you found

Well, I just got back from the Dealer and they changed the battery out. I also bought a battery tender. I get about 15 minutes away from the dealer and all of a sudden I see "F1" red light " So my wife pulls up next to me at a light and I said call the dealer to see if I can reset the status code some how. She calls and as I riding down the road for about another 3 minutes, all of a sudden it lockes up and shuts off on me. Well this sucks and i ended up heading back to the dealer and now they are going to keep it for about 1 week. This sucks because now I am not going to be able to ride again until Spring of next year. I'm leaving to head back next week. They think it could be the entire charging system, so they can't order anything until Monday. I think they should just give me one of the new ones they have sitting on the showroom floor.

Well, I just got back from the Dealer and they changed the battery out. I also bought a battery tender. I get about 15 minutes away from the dealer and all of a sudden I see "F1" red light " So my wife pulls up next to me at a light and I said call the dealer to see if I can reset the status code some how. She calls and as I riding down the road for about another 3 minutes, all of a sudden it lockes up and shuts off on me. Well this sucks and i ended up heading back to the dealer and now they are going to keep it for about 1 week. This sucks because now I am not going to be able to ride again until Spring of next year. I'm leaving to head back next week. They think it could be the entire charging system, so they can't order anything until Monday. I think they should just give me one of the new ones they have sitting on the showroom floor.

I wish all warranties worked this way... :whistle:

I flew back to Iraq yesterday, and while I was sitting in Dulles Airport I get a call. Yup a call form the dealer who had my bike for 3 weeks while I was home. "You can pick up your bike, I spoke with the Field Service Tech and he said that your charging system is working and there is no need to replace the stator that we wanted to replace and that is on back-order. I did replace your voltage/rectifier tho since that wasn't working"

I said please make sure you take it out for a test ride since thats how we realized it wasn't working the last time. You just changed my battery and told me to go. My vacation was ruined from a riding aspect but I bought the wife and brand new GSX650F and she is learning to ride. She passed the MSF class with high honors

Maybe a broken clutch lever because she forgot to put the kick stand down but its all good. She is learning and keeps getting right back up, and I love her for it.

This happened to me once...aftermarket kickstand set screw wiggled out, I had that tiny safety switch on engine not engaging. Had to engage button or else I couldn't start. Took me about 20 minutes to figure it out while I was stranded on the road.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back