2008 Bad fuel pump?

clean

Registered
Hi guys, Just put my '08 back on the road. Noticed pretty quickly that "sometimes" it will fall flat on its face way too early. almost like hitting a rev limiter at around 9-10k. Oddly other times it will continue past 10k but not really making much power, and then sometimes it will pull hard all the way. no running issues otherwise - only at WOT.

right away I'm thinking fuel pump, but wanted to check if there's anything else I might be missing?

in early 2020 I did full maintenance on the bike including valve adjustment, air filter, plugs, new fuel strainer etc. So its not a clogged strainer as its brand new.

when I changed the strainer the old one was pretty dirty so I'm thinking the pump could have taken a poop kicking - also injectors could be dirty.

I was going to start with some seafoam, and if that doesn't help then do the pump. sound like a good plan? or is putting seafoam in these bikes a bad idea? I have heard mixed suggestions on sea foam - some say its can damage things.

anyway thanks for any and all suggestions.

Hi guys, Just put my '08 back on the road. Noticed pretty quickly that "sometimes" it will fall flat on its face way too early. almost like hitting a rev limiter at around 9-10k. Oddly other times it will continue past 10k but not really making much power, and then sometimes it will pull hard all the way. no running issues otherwise - only at WOT.

right away I'm thinking fuel pump, but wanted to check if there's anything else I might be missing?

in early 2020 I did full maintenance on the bike including valve adjustment, air filter, plugs, new fuel strainer etc. So its not a clogged strainer as its brand new.

when I changed the strainer the old one was pretty dirty so I'm thinking the pump could have taken a poop kicking - also injectors could be dirty.

I was going to start with some seafoam, and if that doesn't help then do the pump. sound like a good plan? or is putting seafoam in these bikes a bad idea? I have heard mixed suggestions on sea foam - some say its can damage things.

anyway thanks for any and all suggestions.
My 2008 hayabusa does the same thing I haven’t figured it out yet I replaced the plugs coils air filter fuel pump fuel filter fuel strainer and fuel pressure regulator and it’s still cutting out around 7000-7500 rpms I already ordered new injectors so that’s next

I've used Seafoam in both my bikes since 2008. Always 1 ounce/gallon for winter storage and a little dose about every other time I fill up. I might run a tank of full dose once during the riding season just to be sure the gunk is getting cleaned out. I've heard Seafoam can be harsh on delicate parts if you use it in higher concentrations but I know of one person who used it way beyond the recommended proportions and had no problems.

I've used Seafoam in both my bikes since 2008. Always 1 ounce/gallon for winter storage and a little dose about every other time I fill up. I might run a tank of full dose once during the riding season just to be sure the gunk is getting cleaned out. I've heard Seafoam can be harsh on delicate parts if you use it in higher concentrations but I know of one person who used it way beyond the recommended proportions and had no problems.
I throw in some sort of fuel cleaner/additive at least 2 or 3 times a year...definitely didn't follow instructions on a few of them :D *pours in full bottle on 1/2 tank*..."wait, this treats 15gal?"

Back