2006 tank on a 2000 bike, really peeing me off now, please help!!!!!

paulcee

Registered
Ok so ive bitten the bullet on my Gen1 and bought a 2006 fuel tank and pump, Vapourlock was fxxxing me off big time . Could you guy's let me know is it as easy as I think to do the changeover or will I need any more mod's to fit it. The bike is Standard apart from a 2006 starting system. This is it, this doesnt make it reliable now then Im gonna have to look at upgrading to a newer model. Really love my 2000 model and dont want to get rid of it but enough is enough. Please help

So I'm now guessing no one has done this upgrade, I'll post how it goes I'm gonna try to offer it up to the bike today

I thought the tanks were the same from 99-07.The fuel pumps are different i think.The vapor lock has got to be a heat issue normally accociated with carbed stuff, not FI.

I was going to do this on my 2000 with an 03 tank- After a lot of headache/research -questions, buying a few parts decided not to-You have to change a fitting on the fuel rail to work with the internal pump- also the pressure is different so if your running a custom map on your power commander it will have to be remaped. I have the fitting if your interested-
This info comes from KWS- was more trouble than I wanted to go through so I stayed with the orginal setup

I dont see how you can be getting a vapor lock on a FI system that has a constant pressure- Are your fuel filter screens clean could be a blockage there

Guys honestly I would rather have kept the original fuel system but from what I have read and seen done this is my answer to a pain problem, vapour lock is caused because of the heat from the engine and does something to the fuel lines and the only way round it is to put the internal pump on it, it's too late now to change my mind anyway I have the tank and pump delivered to me on Friday, as far as I can tell the only problem I'm gonna have us the actual wiring but a 4 way male to female plug should sort this out, the only other thing I was worried about was the vacuum pipe but after I plugged this it all seems to be working out, next thing to do tomorrow is actually fit it all to the bike, I've done all testing and it seems ok, maybe a different story once it's under load but the next couple of days will tell once I put the bike back together and test tide it, if this doesn't work out then im finished with this bike, I'm so **** of breaking down and my mates enjoying their day out, there nay be a new Busa on the horizon for me but hopefully I can keep my gen 1, when it's going it goes great and love the feeling of riding it.

As i have said before ,i had the same issue with my 99 . having cleaned the fuel pump twice ( the second time properly ) i have had no more vapour lock issues (3 years now ) . It would appear if you have any sort of restriction in the pump bearing in mind where its located on the 99 - 2000 models , you have less fuel so it boils up quicker and turns to gas , hence too much pressure for the pump to move , (vapour lock) .
It worked for me :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back