2006 Hayabusa Clutch Slip in the Powerband?

LeeFL2

Registered
Just started to have this problem. Not sure if it's a clutch slip or an ignition or fuel problem...

As I apply power, usually in first or second gear, once in the power band, the bike feels like it looses power for a fraction of a second. I can't tell if it's couch slip or not. It doesn't last long enough for the revs to rise. It feels almost like she hit a slick spot in the road and the rear tire spun out for a second. It sometimes happens two times in quick succession and then keeps on movin like nothing is wrong. I can still clutch her up on one wheel so that makes me think it's not a clutch issue. It's almost like a miss. Otherwise the beast is running well.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Bike has 30 k miles btw. Just installed new sprockets and chain. Stock except for intake, exhaust and pc.

try this test. get on it hard(full throttle) in 1st and all they way through 2nd. if it feels like its bucking or jerking, almost like a dead miss or sprocket is skipping a tooth, then 2nd gear is gone.
hate to say it but it sounds like thats the problem. about $1000-$1500 repair.

hmm could be the 2nd gear dogs are worn so jumping a bit !!
when it gets bad if its the dogs worn it will jump out of gear all the time .

as for 1000 1500 dollars to fix i think you can do it far cheaper as its just a cog or 2 needs changing and the forks maybe and not a hard diy job with some spanner skill and a handbook plus a wonderfull forum with lots of helpful advice :thumbsup:

but it will be as above if you cant do it :banghead:

clutch slip test is 40mph in high gear give it some and see if rpm shoots up without bike taking off.

My experience with gearboxes is that if it pops out of gear, it falls into a false neutral.

As far as rebuilding the gear case, should be no problem since I rebuild and troubleshoot marine diesels for a living.

Does not feel like a gearbox issue. Feels like a slip or miss.

Like I said, I can clutch her up into a wheelie and there is no slip except for that occasional slip in the power band(8-10k).

Could be a cloged fuel filter. Mine would only do it wfo, barely back off the throttle and it smoothed back up. Flushedout the filter cartridge and it runs as good as ever. 65000 miles on the clock

it could just be a dirty connection or a dodgy tip sensor then and certain rpm's cause the miss ?

have a look at the connectors and see if there a bit green corroded etc

I am making an educated guess that you got poor connection somewhere. At a certain rpm, the connector resonates and interrupts the connection momentarily effectively cutting the ignition for just a moment. It will get worse over time, and may even throw a code on you. Pay attention at the rpm when this happens. If rpm drops down when it happens, and if it happens at about the same rpm, that would confirm my suspicions.

2nd gear. you can get the entire trans undercut for around 400 bucks. of course, that's if you pull the trans and ship it off. talk to Jay (ape race parts) about it. he can probably set you up.

Not sure it's a gear problem yet.

The "slip" happens quickly at about 8 k and sometimes it happens twice, sequentially. Then stops until I bounce her off the rev limiter. No clunks or grinding. Just a very fast hesitation or slip. Sometimes once, sometimes twice in either 1 st or 2 nd gear. That is why I don't think it's a gear issue. Sometimes I can get on it and ride a wheelie almost to the limiter and it will not happen. Just started too. :((

thats because its just starting to wear. will get worse if you ride it hard

Just started to have this problem. Not sure if it's a clutch slip or an ignition or fuel problem...

As I apply power, usually in first or second gear, once in the power band, the bike feels like it looses power for a fraction of a second. I can't tell if it's couch slip or not. It doesn't last long enough for the revs to rise. It feels almost like she hit a slick spot in the road and the rear tire spun out for a second. It sometimes happens two times in quick succession and then keeps on movin like nothing is wrong. I can still clutch her up on one wheel so that makes me think it's not a clutch issue. It's almost like a miss. Otherwise the beast is running well.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Bike has 30 k miles btw. Just installed new sprockets and chain. Stock except for intake, exhaust and pc.
Am I the only one who finds your rolling photo montage a bit overbearing? No insult meant, but it's a bit much.

you can get the gears cut but i dont know where. i got a new undercut 2nd and 6th w/new shift fork

if you can pull the motor/tranny yourself it will be cheaper.

if you "break" the cases and just take the tranny, cheaper yet.

replacement parts arent that much. its the labor. a ton of labor as you will find if you do it yourself.

im too lazy.

There! Fixed it for ya!
Thanks, dude!

Really sorry about your trans problem. If you do rip the bottom end down, I strongly suggest you get your gear dogs undercut. This puts a small ramp on the engagement dogs so that when they come together, the ramps draw the gears together tighter under load. Given the frequency of this problem, it is a crime that Suzuki cuts these gears straight. Getting the undercuts is fairly inexpensive.

Thanks, dude!

Really sorry about your trans problem. If you do rip the bottom end down, I strongly suggest you get your gear dogs undercut. This puts a small ramp on the engagement dogs so that when they come together, the ramps draw the gears together tighter under load. Given the frequency of this problem, it is a crime that Suzuki cuts these gears straight. Getting the undercuts is fairly inexpensive.

No probs!

Yeah, I will do it myself. No other choice. The fact that I do this kind of wk for a living helps but does not make it fun.

I have sometime left since it just started. That should give me time to research it here and prepare.

Suzuki probably leaves em as is so that they fail after warranty expires and bring in some revenue for the dealerships. That is the only reason I can think of.

Thanks for the help guys!

I found some posts that people liked this place: Fast By Gast - Transmissions

Also, another oRg member recently posted that Robinson Industries did his undercuts for only $60. That seems really low to me.

Here are two threads you might want to look at:
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/128774-second-gear-jerking-real-bad.html
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/153404-gen-i-2nd-gear-trans-pics.html

When you do finally tear into it, please let us know what you found and what solution you settled on (with prices and results). Good luck!

Back