2006 GEN 1 Hayabusa pinch bolts

argyle66

Registered
I did a search and didnt find an answer... I replaced my tire and no issues removing front tire.

When I went to put it back on I got out my torque wrench and was sinching up the pinch bolts to 16.5 ft/lbs

As i reached 15 ft/lbs the bolt started twirling in the pinch bolt hole. WTF stripped inside.

I looked and it goes all the way through. My idea was to get a longer bolt and put a nut on the end to hold in place and tighten to the specified Torque number.

The challenge has been finding an 8mm bolt long enough and with threads all the way. I figure about a 2 1/2 inch 8mm should do it with a nylock nut???

any thoughts??

What exactly do these pinch bolts do once the Axel is tightened and can I get away with a stripped one ??

Helicoil it! The end result will stronger threads than stock.

Just be careful to keep the tap and drill perfectly lined up.

The pinch bolts are a preventative measure to keep the axle from rotating. They actually do pinch the bottom of the fork together. You might be able to get away with just one, but if you're like me, you won't take chances. Especially with the way I ride. Have you thought about getting a pieced of All-Thread and using Nylox Nuts on both ends? It's not pretty but effective. Also, if you're going to try and Tap it, I would suggest taking the fork out and putting it in a vise before working on it. It's only 4 more bolts to loosen.

How many threads are there about this??? I have replied!

Back