2001 Hayabusa not running right and gauge flicker

Dr. Gonzo

Registered
So I picked up a Turbo '01 a year or so back and am in the process of moving the turbo over to my 2007 and getting the '01 back to stock. I move all of the following from the '07 (which ran fine before all of this):

- In tank pump
- Throttle bodies
- Injectors
- Fuel rail
- Oil cooler
- Vacuum lines and sensors
- Stock air box (small airbox mod)
- K&N Filter
- Stock exhaust

I removed the PCIII, PCII, Hahn map sensor 'fooler', and MPS quick shifter control box. For all practical purposes the bike should be stock with the exception of the cut forks, lowering links, and a few cosmetic odds and ends.

Once I got everything moved over the bike pretty much fired right up, but when I took it for a ride I noticed I was losing power on the highway at cruising RPMs. I got it home but now at low RPMs when I pull out it tries to die unless I rev up to 3k+. The bike will idle but if you listen close it sounds a bit rough. There's also a flicker in the gauge lights at low RPM which I'd thought was a bad rectifier since the connector was all but melted, but now just replaced that and it's still there. I ran through the checks for the stator and it passed with flying colors. I think the flicker and the running rough are not related since the flicker was there when I got it and it ran without issue.

So all that being said, is there something I might be missing that someone would have done to prep it for turbo/track that would cause me this kind of issue now that I'm stock? When I got it the oil pan had been 'shaved' which made me wonder if anything might have been done inside/above. Like maybe I'm starving it for oil at low RPMs and causing damage? :unhappy: Is there perhaps something that I moved over from the '07 that isn't compatible with the '01 and is likely causing my rough running? Some stuff I've been trying in the meantime:

- Was worried that small airbox mod might cause issues on stock so put PCIII back in and put in DynoJet supplied map for aftermarket air filter and bolt on cans. No change
- Realized I hadn't changed the plug gaps back for non-turbo so put them at .030. No change

Appreciate any direction anyone can supply. I'm kind of stumped here. :banghead:
Gonz

Sounds electrical. Check the battery and if the plug on the harness side was all but melted............ well........... you may need a new harness.

Need pics of the Vacuum lines on the throttle body's, aslo is the mass air flow sensor plugged in?

Load test that battery and test the rectifier for the flicker. Also that flicker might just shut down injectors for a moment. I think at a certain voltage they stop firing.

I just replaced the rectifier, but I can probably pull the one off my '07 which I know is good to confirm that I didn't get a 2nd bad one. The battery came right out of the '07 so I'm 99% sure it's cool since I never had an issue with it. Will double check that as well though. Thanks for the ideas.

G

I think if you put a meter across the battery and run it up to 5K RPMs you should see 13.6 to 14.6 to test the rectifier. Batteries do crazy things. Any auto parts place can load test it and let you know for sure. Something electrical is causing the flicker.

Ok all the vacuum's look correct, the only other thing is either bad plugs, reversed plug wiring?
Also could be reversed crank trigger.

Still have to double check the battery and swap rectifiers again, but I did change out the plugs and still no love. I don't think the plug wires could be crossed since they're in order of where they come off the shared conduit (if that makes sense). It really sounds like it's missing though. Also of interest is that the right tail pipe now has smoke drifting out of it for about a minute after running. So maybe one cyl not firing causing the rough idle so unburnt fuel causing the smoke? Assume if it's coming out the stock exhaust on the right pipe it's got to be an issue with one of the right two banks, right? Will try to find some time tomorrow to pull the plugs back out again and see if any look off from the rest. More to come...

G

I pretty much packed her away now for the winter so it looks like I'll have to revisit in the spring. Interestingly enough, I gave the right injectors a tweak before driving it back around to the storage shed and it almost seems like the idle may have improved. Fingers crossed on that. Thanks for the tip about the fuses. That one hadn't occured to me so is #1 on my list when I dig it out again. Thanks for all the help everyone!

G

Back