2001 GSXR750 Starting Issues

jefferycarman

Lost and confused
Donating Member
Registered
Alright all you mechanically inclined folks.

I have my brothers GSXR 750 while he is on deployment and it's having issues. Currently I am fixing a few little things on it and in the process I ran into the problem he was having.

When you hit the starter you get nothing. The battery is 100% charged, the lights all come on but no spark, no turn, no nothing. If you keep hitting it, as I did in frustration, it will try to turn. You get the initial spark but the entire electrical system goes dead. There is also an FI light on, but I am not sure if it's related to this issue or if it's because the bike sat for a couple months and now is having fuel line issues.

I was leaning towards starter, but I don't know how to really narrow it down to what it is for sure.

I just started going through the manual, but haven't gotten enough from it yet to truly diagnose the issue.

If someone could give an idiot a little help I would appreciate it.

Also, how does one get a dent out of a gas tank? Is that going to require cutting or is it just "popable"?

Thanks

Check to make sure battery terminals are tight.
Check to make sure battery has proper amps.

Is there any "click" or anything when you hit the starter, or just silent? Sounds like a bad battery. Not sure where you live for climate, but here in MN... you are lucky to get 2 years off of a battery, unless you BABY it, charge it, take it inside in september, dont put it back in the bike till may... lol...

Many times the lights will be "on" and seem "normal" but still not enuf juice to crank the motor.

If Busa Wizards advice doesnt work let us know... Theres a few other things it could be. If you do indeed get it to start to crank though, that pretty much rules out clutch, and kick stand switches...

Oh, and if the dent has a kink in it, prolly not much you can do about it, if it is a small dent, you can have those places push them out. Go to your local car delership and they more than likely contract with someone, you can get the name and number of... They are VERY good at what they do, I would recommend having someone professional do it. If your daring, all they basically do (with specialized tools of course) is have some from of a pushrod and go in there and pop it back out... much more of an art to it though IMO.

Use a volt meter...battery should be almost 13v...12.5v + for sure. Then see if the voltage drops when you hit the start button. If it drops right away to say less than 9-10v...you need a battery.

best bet is to try a friends battery if you can get one
a battery can read good volts, but crappy amps. And that is what you need to crank

I will hit the battery with the volt meter tomorrow, depending on the weather. The freezing fog put a halt on all operations today.

When I do hit the starter button I get no noise at all. But occasionally it does crank a little. Kind of a half hearted attempt almost. I was thinking battery, but I did check the charge and then put it on the battery charger to do a slow charge. It read 100% according to the charger. But I did not check the voltage as I cranked :banghead:

I would forget to check that. I will also check the amps if my meter will read it. I don't remember if mine can do it or not.

Thanks guys

:poke: Go ahead and :lol: or feel free to ???

I am still learning the mechanical side (I am an electronics geek) so any input is appreciated. I may overlook something simple as this isn't my normal domain.... Yet!

Pull the right thumb switch with starter control in it,and clean with wd40 the spray it out with air.also be sure clutch lever little switch underneath lever is tight....

hey have the same bike i was having trouble getting to start to check the kickstand switch if it will not pop out all the way with the kickstand down it will have some of the same problems you are describing try just pulling on the plunger then try to start see if makes a diff had to clean mine with wd-40 then worked good as new

Back