2000 Hayabusa Issue

Kuhrazy

Registered
I'd like to start by stating that I've searched through most of the forum for someone who has a problem similar to mine, but it always seems to deviate in one way or another. I would greatly appreciate any and all help as this has me stumped, and I'm sure it's something completely stupid...

I purchased a 2000 Busa with a blown engine, and upon arriving home and tearing it down, came to find a blown rod/piston/head.

This is not my first engine rebuild, as my other Busa has had multiple tear-downs gearing up for and including the addition of a turbo kit.

As far as I can tell the engine is built to manufacturer's specifications, and including all timing issues.

Here is the problem.

Upon starting, it will crank, and fuel is being pushed by the pump. It will not kick over at all. And than, eventually it will backfire. It does sound like it will turn over.

I have a brand new battery, and all wiring on the motorcycle is completely stock. It does have a Power Commander and I have attempted to start it with the PC connected and not. I have a second ECU that I have also tried to no avail.

The engine is stock internals, with only a Brock Megaphone Exhaust, and K&N Filter.

After attempting to start the bike, I have pulled a spark plug, and there is no built up fuel.

I need help as the weather in my neck of the woods is getting nicer, and I would like to give this thing a ride.

Please Help! :please:

Stupid comment maybe, but Coils?

You say fuel is being pushed by the pump but is it getting into the engine? The fuel pump has a filter that is notorious for getting clogged on 99 and 00 models. The injectors themselves also have screens that get clogged. If you're not seeing anything on the spark plugs, you may just have a fuel delivery issue. I assume you verified that you are getting spark at the plugs?

Update: I'm getting fuel for sure, I pulled all spark plugs, and fuel is apparent. No spark at all I'm presuming. I tested Crank sensor and it tested fine. Tip over sensor is fine also.

it is a completely stock internal bike, rebuilt to spec according to the manual. Timing should be exactly as required. I triple checked before closing it up. :)

So far the following has been checked: Cam Timing, fuel delivery, spark, Crank Sensor, Tip over sensor, coils..

It sounds like its only firing maybe two cylinders. My backfire is now a two-three foot flame.

I just had that on a 2003 that someone put a 2008 crank rotor on.
When you did the cam timing,did you put the #1 mark on the exh cam on the edge of the head,below edge or what?
I messed up 1 time,,the chain was stretched bad enough that the timing mark on the cam was way above the head edge or right below
well i put it a hair below the edge----wrong!! Anyway before i figured it out it was doing something similar to what you say.
so far the following has been checked: Cam timing, fuel delivery, spark, crank sensor, tip over sensor, coils..

It sounds like its only firing maybe two cylinders. My backfire is now a two-three foot flame.

So I finally got a chance to do a compression check, and I had low compression on cylinders 3 & 4, and no compression on 1 & 2.

Back