2000 Hayabusa problems.

Pantera_RO

Registered
Hi guys!

First of all, excuse my english...but I hope you can help me solve my problem with my 2000 Busa.
So, here we go :Last sunday I was taking my bike for a longer ride, since here, in Romania, it's spring and 18 degrees C. I went to the gas station, fill up my baby. After I fill her up and leave the gas station, in about 500 m she stutter a bit , but then run smoothly. After a while the engine stops while she was running. Did that a couple of times and then stops for good.
The FI light on ther panel keeps turning red and alternate with the clock. The fuel indicator stoped working ( is not the firts time when she does that ) and the gas lamp went yellow.
I thought it was because of the fuel...maybe water in it... but the gas was ok.
I took her to a mechanic and afer a few tests we noticed that when the fuel tank is folded, the engine runs....when we leave him back in his position, after a few seconds, the engine stops working.
The fuel pump it's ok, they say. They took her of the bike, clean it , check it and then put her back. They check the gas hoses, the filters, everything it's ok.
Yet , she stops ...I thing when she heats ( or the fuel pump)...It;s only a presumtion.
I bought this bike last year in september. The first owner didn't use the bike for several years, so the gas in the tank transformed into something like gelatin. He took the bike to a mechanic and he solved the problem by cleaning the fuel pump and changing one of the fuel hoses.
The FI light and gas lamp that I was talking about earlyer started to do that last year, after I bought her.
I would be grateful if you help me fix my baby.
Thx!

With respect,
Gilda

I am almost certain that you have a bad fuel pump or clogged injectors. If you ran bad gas through it, the fuel pump and the injectors are pretty sensitive. I would take the injectors out and clean them with carb cleaner (spray the needle from the can into the injector) or have them professionally cleaned.

Did you take the fuel pump all the way apart and clean the filter? Also be sure to take the petcock / sensor unit out of the tank and clean it too. There is a large mesh filter in there. (it's easy, 3-4 screws under the tank to pull out the fuel gauge, mesh screen, and petcock)

Also, if the bike runs with the tank up, but not so well with it down, you have a kink in the line, where the line is bending and not letting any fuel flow. I have had this problem a lot with my 1999. I ended up getting an aftermarket fuel pump, regulator, and gauge to make everything work, but you might try getting a used fuel pump before going this route.

So I would do this, in order.

1. Check the fuel lines for kinks when the tank is down. Reroute with new lines if you have to. (be sure to use fuel injection line and not just fuel line)

2. Take the injectors out and clean them. (be careful with them)
-you might as well change out the spark plugs while you are doing all of this.

3. Replace the fuel pump. I would definitely put an inline fuel filter from the tank before the pump if your old tank had stuff in it. (who knows how well the mechanic cleaned it, and you don't want to mess up the new fuel pump)

Here are all of my threads dealing with fuel and wiring. I hope they can help you!
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/search.php?searchid=2092726

Today, a friend who owns a 2000 Busa also, will sent me his old pump. He changed the tank with a 2008 one.
I will tell the boys what you told me and we will do that.
I will let you know ....
Thx for helping a girl out !

:welcome: to the ORG. :beerchug:
i think Lucid is right.

:poke:when i first read the thread title i thought, that's a lot of problems for a bike to have:laugh:
hope you get it up and running.:thumbsup:

Welcome to the oRg, please let us know if you get this sorted out. From what you described you have something clogged somewhere.

:welcome: to the Fastest Forum on Earth .oRg rules.:bowdown:

Tip : always help youre fuel lines , at the moment you drop the tank.

Standing left side , i drop the tank with my right hand, with my left hand i help. the fuelline and route this to the gearbox.
I own also a 2000 busa, and help other owners.:whistle:

Sorry for the BAD English.:banghead:

Greetings from The Netherlands. Kees
Hayabusa club holland

Thanks for the tips !
Problem solved !
I changed the fuel pump and now everything it's ok ! No more FI light, no more fuel light !
I took her in hight rpm, in low rpm, in neutral,let her heat a bit up, to start the radiator, everithing it's ok now !
Of course, this is temporary. When I will have the money, I will buy a 2008 tank .

Good speed and thanks again !

Glad you got it running! I'm sure you smiled pretty big the first time it started up. I know I do after my bike has been giving me trouble and I get it worked out.
:race:

@ Lucid : The boys from the service are my friends. When they intalled the new pump and started her I was there and talking on the cell phone. I instantly hang up and went inside to see her. They told me that it doesn't work ,as a joke, because they now how much I love my bike. I started to cry :whistle: When they saw that, they were sorry for me and told me that she's ok. (no more beer for them :rofl: )

Thx for all, guys !:beerchug:

Back