1st gear problems

Porter081

Registered
So i have 04 hayabusa and in 1st gear and only in first gear. As i accelerate around 3 thru 6 rpms it jerks bad. When i switch to 2nd it rides smooth same as 3rd thru 5th. It only jerks in first gear. I changed all spark plugs cleaned chains an fresh oil change. There is no F1 code. The bike has no pc or upgrades. All stock. Bike has been sitting for a year tho.

Swap your Cush rubbers for some pretty (and tough) red ones. I think I got mine from Schnitz racing but they’re available elsewhere too. Tightened up my driveline perfectly after inspecting everything else.

You need to do more diagnosis. Is the engine coughing, causing the jerking? If not, does it feel driveline related? If you are lucky you just need to tighten the chain, but it could be first gear dogs are shot. 2nd gear went out on my 2005 at 1800 miles and Suzuki fixed it. Then a few thousand miles later 1st went out and I had to fix it myself. I sent the gears to Fast by Gast and they undercut them for me and supplied a new shift fork as often they get bent as the tranny jumps dogs. FYI first and second are not undercut on Gen1 bikes.

My 2nd gear is acting a bitch...
on my GSXR750, my 1st and 5th gears are going. planning to replace transmission this weekend..

You need to do more diagnosis. Is the engine coughing, causing the jerking? If not, does it feel driveline related? If you are lucky you just need to tighten the chain, but it could be first gear dogs are shot. 2nd gear went out on my 2005 at 1800 miles and Suzuki fixed it. Then a few thousand miles later 1st went out and I had to fix it myself. I sent the gears to Fast by Gast and they undercut them for me and supplied a new shift fork as often they get bent as the tranny jumps dogs. FYI first and second are not undercut on Gen1 bikes.
New to the busa forum. I just changed the clutch mod added new ring behind it. Notice old one had some definite wear and tear. New one is tight put in new springs and 1st gear still jumping bad. Feels like drive train not engine cough. Will spin the tire every time it catches 1 st gear on throttle up. Don’t understand.

New to the busa forum. I just changed the clutch mod added new ring behind it. Notice old one had some definite wear and tear. New one is tight put in new springs and 1st gear still jumping bad. Feels like drive train not engine cough. Will spin the tire every time it catches 1 st gear on throttle up. Don’t understand.
Assuming chain is tight, sounds like 1st gear dogs are out. Undercut the whole trans while it is out, new forks and shift drum is best bet.

jumping in 1st gear when starting the ride?

look at the steels inside clutch - if they have black "marks" this could be your problem.

i had this issue at my ´00 gen1, i replaced the steels in the clutch by new ones and the "kanguru" was gone.

see my post here

Back