1st FDNY, then Iraq, now SARS

Thinker62

Donating Member
Registered
First, we provided IR cameras to the Fire Service for use in firefighting and search & rescue. Then our IR products were extensively used in Iraq (you guess how). Now, we are delivering cameras to Asia in order to detect/screen for SARS. Today, we released the following Press release:

FLIR SYSTEMS RECEIVES SIGNIFICANT ORDERS FOR
CAMERAS TO HELP COMBAT SARS OUTBREAK

Thermal Imaging Products Measure Temperature, Help Detect Fever

PORTLAND, Ore.  -- May 5, 2003 --  FLIR Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ: "FLIR") today announced that it has received orders for over 50 cameras for use at airports, hospitals and other locations in Taiwan and Korea.  These cameras will be used to help detect fever, a possible precursor to severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS).  The cameras can accurately measure temperature  and can be programmed to detect body temperature.  Airline passengers and visitors to hospitals and other locations will be asked to look into the infrared camera for a matter of seconds, which allows the camera to record facial temperature. The ThermaCAM® line of thermography cameras features accurate temperature measurement to one tenth of a degree, image storage and image analysis capability and comes in a variety of configurations, from lightweight hand held systems resembling a flashlight in appearance to integrated fixed installations.
The technology is non-intrusive, and measures infrared radiation, or heat, that is emitted from all objects.  Traditional applications for this technology include predictive and preventive maintenance, condition monitoring, research and development and electrical and building inspection.  However, the technology has growing application in all fields where temperature, or heat, can be used to assist in evaluation, diagnosis or analysis.  In addition to helping to contain the spread of SARS, FLIR's new line of infrared cameras are ideal for a wide range of homeland security and law enforcement applications, such as protecting police officers in the field, nuclear power plants, borders, bridges and landmarks, petrochemical facilities, airports, hospitals, corporations, public areas or wherever the need for security is required.
"Given the growing concern about the spread of SARS, we are pleased to be able to offer our thermal imaging products to assist in its detection and possible prevention.  This is another poignant example of the growing applications for our thermography products," commented Earl R. Lewis, FLIR President and Chief Executive Officer.
[/QUOTE]

I can't wait for that stock split that is coming.

you are a MONSTER!
biggrin.gif

Hmmm, I had to re-read this twice before responding...(no pictures) I'm glad your company was able to provide the cameras, but I have a few questions:
How accurate is facial thermal imaging as far as detecting someone's inner body temperature? I mean, what conditions would the person have to be in, is the room at a constant temperature, have the people just come in from the outdoors where it's either cold or hot? How about blushing? Sunburn? Eating spicy food? If someone IS hot, would they be quarantined? If so for how long? Will they be separated from others who may have SARS and they might not?
I know the last 3 questions are up to the different country's health depts. The technology is fascinating, I was just wondering how accurate it is.

Hmmm, I had to re-read this twice before responding...(no pictures)   I'm glad your company was able to provide the cameras, but I have a few questions:
 How accurate is facial thermal imaging as far as detecting someone's inner body temperature?  I mean, what conditions would the person have to be in, is the room at a constant temperature, have the people just come in from the outdoors where it's either cold or hot?  How about blushing?  Sunburn?  Eating spicy food?  If someone IS hot, would they be quarantined?  If so for how long?  Will they be separated from others who may have SARS and they might not?
   I know the last 3 questions are up to the different country's health depts.  The technology is fascinating, I was just wondering how accurate it is.
The technology is incredibly accurate, but one must understand and intterpret what they are seeing. For example, an IR camera will not read internal temperatures. They read surface temperatures, which is affected by the objects ability to reflect heat. If you know what you are looking at, you can adjust the emissivity setting of the camera to adjust for more or less reflectivity. In any case, what these people will be looking for is a variance in skin temperature of approximately 3 or more degrees. Basically they are looking for fevers. You are correct that other factors will influence the redings, but if a group of people are all coming off of a plane, they will have all been expoosed to similar environments, so readings should be consistant. Then when one guy shows an elevated temp, he would be seperated for further testing. that is how it will work. It is not fool proof, and there will be false readings, but it is a quick and easy screening tool.

Back