1999 Hayabusa external to internal fuel pump conversion: DONE FOR $600.00

The 99 00 have a lot of fuel pump and filter issues. On here I hear these issues and that’s usually what it is always.

Wheels look sick. Can’t wait to see it when it’s all together.

Tank was done same color...

20180528_172916.jpg

Due to bad vaporlock problems, I just finished converting my '99 'Busa external fuel pump to the internal one, and I wanted to give a quick report. I sourced all of my parts from eBay and this forum, (mostly used) for about $550.00 total plus shipping. My labor was maybe 3 hours or so, with no special tools needed. The hardest part was getting the old tank off the bike without spilling too much gas on the floor or myself, even though my fuel level was fairly low at the time. I got a clean, undented 2001+ tank from eBay for $300 plus shipping, but if you do this, make sure it comes with the heat shield. I got a low mileage pump, the o-ring that seals the pump to the tank and the mounting screws, the fuel line and clips, and a pre-made "plug and play" wiring harness and a 2001+ injector rail from a fellow forum member for around $250. This wiring harness made the job very easy. If anyone is thinking about making this conversion and is interested in more details, PM me and I will be glad to share what I know.

~Warp 7~
Albuquerque, NM
1999 GSX1300R Hayabusa (Time travel is now possible)
2008 BMW R1200 GSA (Have gravel/will travel!)
Hey I need help converting my 1 generation external fuel pump into 2 generation internal on my 99 hayabusa. I have a 2002 tank and pump also the plug. I just don’t know what to cancel or ad on

i have the conversion in hand now with all i need to do the conversion , but there is one thing know one seems to have talked about .
on the old fuel pump there is a vacuum on the top with a hose that goes on to it .
Once you taken off the old pump WHAT DO YOU DO WITH THE HOSE ? ? ? as now it dont need to be connected to that vacuum as as it going to be removed with there pump as they are as one .
Now no one seems to be mentioning this ........is it cos know one has a clue ???
can any one put a simple answer to this question ?????????
hoping here some one has the answer , and i will call them a
genius!
regards
busa steve .
Vacuum line? Turbo guys Plug it. It is for lowering fuel pressure at idle. Problem is when you crack throttle you get a rich spike. Not sure if NA does it also. Can’t see why it wouldn’t. OEM is mapped around it. It can and I have done it. Just a lot trickier to map

Aaaaahh yes… the ol’ resurrected thread.
Great to see, and it just happens to be right up my alley with the classic questions on the ‘99 - ‘00 external fuel pump issues!
I’ve never even considered converting over to the internal (in-tank) fuel pump and for good reason. . .
Here’s the thing.. provided the external pump is fully maintained and has correct routing of the fuel hoses (feed AND return) and the vacuum operated fuel pressure regulator is good, there will be NO problems.
This is my experience with my ‘99 Busa, it DID have fuel pump and fuel hoses issues when I first acquired the bike ( in ‘14 with 75,000kms on it) but I went thru the fuel system from the tank to the injectors, added a PC3 and tuned it allowing for the K&N air filter and Akrapovic 4 into 1 system and it has not given any trouble since.

So the moral of the story is to maintain and service the Busa . . On Time, and BEFORE stuff wears out, gets clogged, breaks etc etc.
Simple as that.
Rant over lol.

for the convertion one needs

1. a complete plastic set from a ´01 - ´07 (best in one color) - all their plastics fit 100% at a ´99 / ´00
incl.
2. the int. pump and its rubber gasket
3. the ´01-´07 throttlebank
4. the fuelhose from bank to pump
plus
some electrical connectors - see here
and if not done yet download the manual and ALL microfiches - here and read / watch ! the microfichesto understand what parts u´ll need !

Back