18/43 Sprockets on Gen 1?

Blazing-Saddle

"Kowalski"
Donating Member
Registered
Someone told me an 18-tooth front sprocket will hit the clutch rod on a Gen 1 Busa. Is this true? It looks like there is enough room but I'd like to hear from the oRg about this. Thanks!

18/43 will fit on a Gen1, but not if they are made for a Gen2...why would you want to use those over the stock 17/40 ???

They are almost they same gear ratio...you would not gain anything :dunno:

An 18T front will work fine if it's made for the Gen 1 output shaft. If you want more top end don't change the rear sprocket. If you want more lowend leave the front stock and change the rear to a larger sprocket.

I've ran a 18 front on mine.... Usually do on the street. Busawhipped does as well. I believe someone was running a 19 front. Some aftermarket sprocket covers my have some issues clearing. My aftemarket cover clears my 18 easily.

I have the 18/39 currently, I do have a 43 rear for drags at LVMS, I will not change the speedohealer for one night's drag racing, but I will swap rings to get it out of the hole faster....I do have a spare cush hub though........ 18 front, me likey ! :oldcool:

Note: Oh, and yes, less pinch, or rotation of the pins and links.....

17 / 43 has made me love my 'Busa more than I imagined it could .
SO much rubberband-like thrust at lower speeds .
More wheelie friendly (when provoked) . :laugh:
But , back to the point , many people run 18t countersprocket on Gen 1.
So choose whatever gearing you want , grip it , and rip it .

The 18 tooth is easier on the chain abuse.:thumbsup:

18/40 IS the way Suzuki had originally intended the Hayabusa to come over. The speedometer would have had no variation with that set up. Damned bureaucrats changed that.
icon6.gif

I'm going 16 45 on my gen two. Is the wear on the chain even a considerable amount?
Posted via Mobile Device

i am running an 18 tooth front also without any issues

Red05 is running 18/43 and he has very little clearance between the tire and swingarm, it really pulled the rear tire forward...i'm not sure what chain length he is running

I have the 18/39 currently, I do have a 43 rear for drags at LVMS, I will not change the speedohealer for one night's drag racing, but I will swap rings to get it out of the hole faster....I do have a spare cush hub though........ 18 front, me likey ! :oldcool:

Note: Oh, and yes, less pinch, or rotation of the pins and links.....
I just put an 18/39 on my 2000, but waiting for other parts before testing it out. I was advised against this gearing due to the stock engine. I have several gear sets so I can always go back to stock. How do you like the 18/39 gearing? How much did it increase the top end? Is your engine stock?
Thanks.
Jim

You're not going to gain top end with just 18/39 gearing on a gen1, the stock engine doesn't have enough power to push it any faster as is.
A stock 17/40 gen1 unrestricted does 194mph, under perfect conditions, lots of variables.
You should get better mpg at higher speeds on flat highway, but noticeably slower acceleration and less torque.
You're not going any faster without more hp.

Nope. That won't cause any trouble at all. My GEN one has been running 18/39 for a long time, at 80 miles an hour you're spinning 4000 RPM. The motor is not working that hard at 4000. If you have trouble climbing hills in six gear you drop to fifth and you go up 500 RPMs.

Now do you have enough motor to top out sixth?. Probably not. I get better performance at the top of fifth.

If you had power helpers, it would be to your advantage. That is, turbo, supercharger, dyno tuning with a full exhaust, that sort of stuff. Forced induction would really help this combination. That is if you really wanna go really really fast.

Back