16th front sprocket

cubicincubi

Registered
I've been told that running 16/42-43 front will eat the chain and will simply smash up the clutch push rod and water pump and cases. On a stock motor with no forced induction? surely not.

I'm also told that 18/40 is a better bet as it's easier on the chain etc and offers similair benefits and rids the need for a speedo healer. But surely it wont be as urgent lower down as a 17/43?

Any experience?

It seems there's so many folks with conflicting experience.

I've got a 16, 17 and 18 front. A 39,40 and 43 rear. I don't have time to swap them over at the track (front that is) and want to clarify 3 possibilities;

1. 18/40 or possibly 18/39 If I make enough power should be for the top speed runs and general touring with the bike.

2. 16/43 will be excellent for the track if I can keep the power down.

3. 17/43 will be fun for road/street riding with a speedo healer.

And enjoy.

Of course practice will tell me what's right for me and my bike - just wondering what others have found.

i run 16/42 for 3ooo miles now no problems just keep on chain maint. cleaning and lubeing

I like the 17/43
super.gif

I've had the 16/42 for about 8k miles and no chain wear and no problems. The set up is great. awesome low end power and enough top speed to make me happy.

16 /42 is an excellent choice for racing or twisties. I've run this combo for quite awhile and you'd have to go down to at least 15 front to get into any chain issues. There are a whole bunch of Busas out there running around with 16 /42 with no problems, mine included. I'm running an EK ZZZ chain also.

However, I've switched to a 17 / 42 combo which for most of my riding (lots of interstate stuff) is a better choice and just about a perfect compromise. When I go to spend time in the mountains though (Busa Bash) I'll probably put the 16 back on the front. In any case, a speedohealer for either combo is necessary.
beerchug.gif

I have almost 10K on mine since going to 16/42 w/ stock chain (14K total on bike now). Keep the chain clean, lubed, and PROPERLY adjusted!!!! It will last a long time.

Too many people keep their chains too tight. Remember:

As the bike's suspension compresses under load, the chain becomes tighter.

The Busa is typically undersprung = bike has more travel if suspension is soft = easier for the chain to become tighter as the suspension is compressing.

Most busa riders are NOT small guys, and this taxes the suspension even more.

Chain adjustment is done while the bike is on a rear stand = less weight on the rear tire because the bike is tilted forward, AND.. the rider's weight is not taken into consideration.

Bottom line: Of all the Busas I see, MOST busa riders tend to run their chains on the tight side which causes premature wear and undue stress on the chain. If you have ANY doubt, allow a little extra play in the chain. I allow 2 full inches of play when I move the slack on the bottom between the sprockets (right above the belly wing).

Oh..... One more thing....

16/42 is great for me for all around use, although I'm not big on slabbing it on the freeway. I DO take road trips and still get 40 mpg, and the "annoying 4500 rpm buzz" is just above the speed limit of 65 MPH. It helps me notice when I creep over the limit
laugh.gif

For twisties it is great! For road racing on the track it is great! I'm not a drag racer, but have heard 16/42 gearing hurts 1/4 mile times *shrug* not a worrry of mine.

You might try just the 16 front or 43 rear.... then combine them if just one isn't enough *GRUNT* for ya.
beerchug.gif

I run a 16 tooth on the front...as low as I'd want to go on a highway busa. Anymore and the vibes get kinda annoying.
The drawback is the 16 moves the tire back abit and eats up some of your chain adjustment room. I'd do a 43 on back next time
wink.gif

16-42 for me as well,with out any probs,,"other than keeping the front wheel on the ground"
SHOCKED.gif

Back