122 MPH... With You Kid On Back

Idiot. HAd that happened here he would have been hit with speeding, reckless driving, child endangerment, etc. Too bad.

It surprises me that this was in the UK and the speeding camera gives the speed in MPH (instead of KPH).

Amusing story about my first time to the UK - Was there on business in the early 1990's (after they had converted to km). Rented some little Ford, quite a bit smaller than the full-sized GMC pickup I drove at home. I'd been driving around the major highways (M3? M5?) out of London, going like maybe 110 - 120 KPH (70 to 80 mph). Not the fastest person out there, but definitely passing a lot of other cars. About my third day of driving I notice that the big set of numbers on the speedo are actually in MPH and the inner set of numbers are in KPH. Holy cripes! Thought I was going fast, but chalked it up to my perception of driving a little car vs. a big pickup truck. I'd been going more like 175 kph thinking I was only doing 110! Glad I never got tagged by a traffic cop. LOL!

Last edited:
It surprises me that this was in the UK and the speeding camera gives the speed in MPH (instead of KPH).

Amusing story about my first time to the UK - Was there on business in the early 1990's (after they had converted to km). Rented some little Ford, quite a bit smaller than the full-sized GMC pickup I drove at home. I'd been driving around the major highways (M3? M5?) out of London, going like maybe 110 - 120 KPH (70 to 80 mph). Not the fastest person out there, but definitely passing a lot of other cars. About my third day of driving I notice that the big set of numbers on the speedo are actually in MPH and the inner set of numbers are in KPH. Holy cripes! Thought I was going fast, but chalked it up to my perception of driving a little car vs. a big pickup truck. I'd been going more like 175 kph thinking I was only doing 110! Glad I never got tagged by a traffic cop. LOL!

I thought the UK still used Imperial measurements?

I thought the UK still used Imperial measurements?

The United Kingdom completed its legal transition to SI units in 1995, but a few imperial units are still in official use: draught beer must be sold in pints, road-sign distances must be in yards and miles, road-sign clearance heights must be in feet and inches (although an equivalent in metres may be shown as well) and road speed limits must be in miles per hour, therefore instruments in vehicles sold in Britain must be capable of displaying miles per hour. (Foreign vehicles, such as all post-2005 Irish vehicles, may legally have instruments displayed only in kilometres per hour.)

Last edited:
On a wet road and headed into a turn no less.... What a bonehead!:cookoo:

I watched the video and I cannot believe that's 120+ mph, it looks like around 70 to me. He's just not going that fast. I think the radar was impacted by the rain.

Back