120 Miles Into Yosemite And Back

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
from my home. I may live just 23 miles from the SW hiway 41 entrance (recently moved) but from home to the Valley floor visitor's center and back is 120 miles! Took the CBX today (it's only 38 years old) and passed thru several burn areas on both sides of the road before I got to the Park. At one time there were three fires between me and the Park, one inside the Park and one to the west of me and one to the east. Smoke in the air was commonplace until just a few days ago. Couldn't hardly believe the amount of downed trees in and just outside of the Park, hundreds and hundreds, no foolin. Many were naturally down but many more were recently cut. There must be hundreds of cords of wood on the ground. Several more in the hundreds of dead burnt trees that haven't fallen yet. In one valley I couldn't count the dead barren trees still sticking up like so many toothpicks stuck in the ground, no leaves, needles, nothing, just towering skinny trees above the scorched ground as far as I could see. It was chilly too! I wore two long sleeve Ts under a mesh jacket and it was just a bit too cool in the shade if I had been traveling far. The Mariposa Grove where the big old growth trees are is closed for renovation. The road to Glacier Pt is also closed due to the fire debri and still active hot spots. All other roads are open including 120 over the Tioga pass. On my route the elevation was not quite 7,000'. Saw signs for 5 and 6,000' so I (was) over a mile high. Saw only a handful of riders but one, parked at the Center, was riding a Triumph Tiger 800 triple with a Missouri plate. Talked with the young rider as he was changing gear for the trip out. He was heading to the coast where he said he would ride north into Canada and then back into Montana on his way home. I'm envious! Sounds like a great ride. Inside the Park construction crews are building traffic 'rounds'. One is finished near the Center and it was comical watching drivers trying to figure it out.:). I also found out that even 120 miles can be a hard ride after three hospital stays and the resultant laying around the house recuperating time I've endured the past three months. Got stiff from the waist down, fatigue in my legs mostly. I had a small tailbag and as the day wore on, I noticed I was scraping the top as I swung my leg over after a view point stop. Gotta get my recumbent excercise bike outta the shed...oh yeah, I was (so) happy to have my forever old geezer pass as the entry fee for a motorcycle is $25!!!

Sounds like a good day. I need to go through the park myself, been here going on four years and have not rode that hwy yet. Fires have been kicking our butt, we have identified millions of hazard trees that need to come down.

Many years ago, I rode my cbr954 from LA to the park and back. Road up to 9000 feet in July and saw snow. Ranger was nice enough to give me a warning. "I know why your are going that fast, I do the same when I ride here. Just slow it down buddy" haha

Went out for a little 100 mile jaunt today just to get out of the house. Wanted to try out the camera on my new phone too. Perfect ~40 degree morning.

MVIMG_20171118_132336.jpg

IMG_20171118_132904.jpg

Back