1/4 vs 1/8 mile racing

RYC1966

Donating Member
Registered
Why would one be prefered over the other?

I help a guy run a car at a track that is now an 1/8 mile vs the 1/4 as years past or at some other local tracks.

I have ran my bike in the 1/4 and would be bummed out if I had to cut it off early...I can't imagine what really winding it out feels like in the mile.:please:someday

From a know your machine perspective it is very competitive, less parts breaking due to lower mph / load on the engine, but a shorter track in the end.

Is there any different gearing / chassis set up for 1/8 or 1/4 mile? From what I gather the answer is no...but I am just curious to see what people have to say in general.

Any info is appreciated

Sometimes its a matter of availability. If you only have 1/8 tracks locally and u have to drive a distance to get to a 1/4 track, sometimes its worth it to run a shorter track. Especially beginners who are unsure if they like racing or the money it costs.

i have never done an 1/8th mile. honestly if that was all i had i wouldnt bother i dont think. 1/4 mile is i think the standard. I wish i hadnt discovered it either to be honest. God have mercy it has cost me so much since i started. you know. gotta have just one more thing and then thats it...NOT:laugh:

I run almost all 1/8th mile. For my car, I would rather run 1/8th. Less wear and tear, and everything happens at an extremely fast pace. On the bike it is more about the rider than the HP of the bike, IMO.

as others mentioned alot less wear on parts. in the 1/8 you've got to really get off the line right, there's no "backend" to recover.
I'm not a fan of the 1/8th.

I am a beginer so the 1/8th is all I need...getting off the line clean in the same manner is tough enough for me. The wear and tear I totally understand...one thing I do notice is that at the track the staging lanes seem to clear quicker probably a combo of less breaks and reducing people that bring out just anything to run. That could be another interesting topic...things that happened at the track.

I get the concept of a top fuel guy going 300 mph + ...and the risk mgmt / oil downs (throwing a rod) for running the entire quarter where 1/8th would remove that factor.

I just have to get used to it because that is the program that are starting to run around here...with the exception of a track rental.

Need to run taller gears for the 1/8 rather a 1/4 imo

Not exactly true. Ive run 1/8 mile a few times cuz of high crosswinds and track manager told us this was how it will be run. If your running ET bracket style racing you dont need to change anything. Just run what you got if your consistant with that setup. If you running in a heads up pro class then yes change your gearing. For me it doesnt matter ya still need to get to the finish line first.

1/8 is fun, it's all I have available right now, the track is trying to go 1/4 pending electrical items and the labor to install. I'm not going to complain as we've had nothing for a long time. However, I'm dying for 1/4. I like running up the mph, alot.

The 8th is dang sure all in the leave, so work on your short game, like commuta said, no recovery time

It is not that you HAVE to run a lower gear ratio in the 1/8th, but you can.

My car has 5.67 rear gears. If I were running mostly 1/4 mile, I would probably change that to something a little higher, like 5.14.

When I had my smaller tires, the car was dialed to run the 1/8. One time I ran the 1/4 and had to pull my top end chip out, since it was at 8k, and the car needed 8,400 rpm to make it to the finish line!

when your running full blast, those guys running eighth mile at adrl events burnup their motors just like the quarter mile guys do

the fastest guy in the eighth mile now on a promod bike is running a 5 speed tranny using all the gears in the eighth

i have 2 tracks within 20 miles of my house that are eighth mile

and then i got bowling green kentucky which is 2-1/2 hours away

the price of gas is a bigee these days unlike past years

Ive motorcycle drag raced both 1/8 and 1/4 for 20+ yrs. All depends on what your goals are. I was into bracket racing and ran a lot of local track points, and private dash for cashes and also did the IDBA circuit for a few years on a pro gas GSXR dragbike.
Bracket racing the 1/8 mile will make you a much stronger bracket racer. The 1/4 mile is much more fun on big bore bikes.
The key at the dragstrip is 2 things, holeshot and tucking in as tight as you can into the paint and body work.

Ive motorcycle drag raced both 1/8 and 1/4 for 20+ yrs. All depends on what your goals are. I was into bracket racing and ran a lot of local track points, and private dash for cashes and also did the IDBA circuit for a few years on a pro gas GSXR dragbike.
Bracket racing the 1/8 mile will make you a much stronger bracket racer. The 1/4 mile is much more fun on big bore bikes.
The key at the dragstrip is 2 things, holeshot and tucking in as tight as you can into the paint and body work.

You would'nt happen to have done a good bit on a V-Max, have you???

I thought i recognized ya from a V-Max site i was on a few years ago.
Do you have a Busa?
Welcome BTW!

Thanks for the welcome:beerchug:
Yes, the VMAX wore me out trying to keep engines going, just seemed the VMAX couldnt handle the stress tests and dragstrip runs.
Just picked up my Busa on May 20th, Since then I have put 2700 miles on it.
I love it!!
Miss the ol VMAX forum, hopefully the MOD here is cool. Do you still chat on the VMAX forum?

I'm suprised you don't remember me. I'm the dope that came up with the COP mod on the V-max. I did'nt do anything special, just had them and tried them out. I still get PM's from guys asking the same questions that were answered many, many, many times in many, many, many posts.
I'm sure i mentioned running my 04 LE Busa at the track on that site. Yeah, it was a cool site but unbelieveable how many guys w/ V-max's that know nothing about bikes.
You and i contributed to quite a few posts(you more than myself) on that forum. Its very enjoyable helping others out.
You will find this site is much less "hyper". Not too many hot heads and the mods are quick to post friendly "reminders". Just heed them and all is cool. I've raced with one of the mods here(Professor). He is a cool fella, even though he put his dragracing skillz to good use and beat me out in the PMRA championship back in 06! Tha chump! I don't hold it against him though....:laugh: My own fault though, i can't launch for nuttn...:thumbsup:

I'm suprised you don't remember me. I'm the dope that came up with the COP mod on the V-max. I did'nt do anything special, just had them and tried them out. I still get PM's from guys asking the same questions that were answered many, many, many times in many, many, many posts.
I'm sure i mentioned running my 04 LE Busa at the track on that site. Yeah, it was a cool site but unbelieveable how many guys w/ V-max's that know nothing about bikes.
You and i contributed to quite a few posts(you more than myself) on that forum. Its very enjoyable helping others out.
You will find this site is much less "hyper". Not too many hot heads and the mods are quick to post friendly "reminders". Just heed them and all is cool. I've raced with one of the mods here(Professor). He is a cool fella, even though he put his dragracing skillz to good use and beat me out in the PMRA championship back in 06! Tha chump! I don't hold it against him though....:laugh: My own fault though, i can't launch for nuttn...:thumbsup:

Yeah I remember the name. I havent ran the busa on the track yet. I have been practing launching it on some (private roads). Stock wheelbase I feel I can 60ft in the low 1.60's now, the key is keeping it balanced before the power comes in and raises the front end.

Back