08 HID Retro

lajguess

Registered
I haven’t seen any 08 with this mod so I will tell you how I did it.
apart.jpg
I pre-heated the oven to 200 and put the light in for 10 min. pulled it out and pulled it apart with a kitchen knife and razor, the dryer was to keep the glue warm and easy to pull apart. It did take a while to pull apart.
parts2.jpg
I used a FX-R and TSX projector both with clear lens replacements. I also went with the 6000 D2S bulbs, nice color and not to blue.
projector.jpg
bottom.jpg
After pulling the stock projector out I took a dremel and did some trimming so that I could sandwich the projector in the stock position and be able to use the stock beam adjustments. by sandwiching the projector there it accomplished the washer mod I was going to do anyways.
finish.jpg
the top projector I just ran long screws and lock nuts through the housing then aimed it to the stock High beam tape marks I put on the wall then silicone it in place no need for it to move.
finish2.jpg
this is the finished product, I covered up the holes I cut with a piece of mirror fix sheet I picked up at auto zone. sorry don’t have more pictures of that. I will post pictures of lights a little later. hope this is helpful to someone.

apart.jpg

parts2.jpg

projector.jpg

bottom.jpg

finish.jpg

finish2.jpg

Remember your previous thread, you had some final adjustments to make I think. Fantatic job. I'm happy with the stockers on the '08, but HIDs are great :thumbsup:

they look really good man That's just a bit much to go through for that though. I'm good with the hid conversion. It sets off your bike really well

This is one of the nicest mods I've seen so far. Thanks for sharing :bowdown:

I'm thinking of doing the same thing this winter, actually I was already looking at what theretrofitsource.com has to offer..

I have a few questions:

Do you think this mod could be done with preserving the ability to use the stock manual height alignment for both low and high beam?

Did you have a specific reason why you changed the high beam projector? Do you think the standard high beam projector would be good enough when fitted with "just an aftermarket" HID H9?

Can the housing be changed back to standard halogens or did you have to break something that cannot be fixed.. :eh:

looks like everything mounted in place I could be wrong. I know Ogre did something similar and kept the bixenon feature as well. By the way if you heat it at 215 for 15 minutes the light should come apart a little easier. and still won't damage anything if I remember right 250 may even be acceptable.

This is one of the nicest mods I've seen so far. Thanks for sharing :bowdown:

I'm thinking of doing the same thing this winter, actually I was already looking at what theretrofitsource.com has to offer..

I have a few questions:

Do you think this mod could be done with preserving the ability to use the stock manual height alignment for both low and high beam?

Did you have a specific reason why you changed the high beam projector? Do you think the standard high beam projector would be good enough when fitted with "just an aftermarket" HID H9?

Can the housing be changed back to standard halogens or did you have to break something that cannot be fixed.. :eh:
yes you could mount both to the stock reflector housing and keep the manual height alignment for both low and high beam, I just cut it off before thinking about it and mounted it inplace. I changed the low beam to the bottom due to size of the housing on the FX-R its to big to fit in the lower position its a dual beam. But I dont even use the High beam setting on the FX-R projector I just set it higher and run it in low beam setting.
You could use a H9 HID in the stock high beam your just not going to get the clean lines and quality of light you get from a HID Projector.
I would have to say after all the cutting you do there's no going back to stock unless you buy another light.

or just replace the high beam projector with a bixenon and leave the factory reflector low beam.

Well this inspired me to install my HID kit that has been sitting around for a month now. I have to get the High Beem Bulb exchanged still before I can install that one. Will post pictures tonight.:thumbsup:

yes you could mount both to the stock reflector housing and keep the manual height alignment for both low and high beam, I just cut it off before thinking about it and mounted it inplace. I changed the low beam to the bottom due to size of the housing on the FX-R its to big to fit in the lower position its a dual beam. But I dont even use the High beam setting on the FX-R projector I just set it higher and run it in low beam setting.
You could use a H9 HID in the stock high beam your just not going to get the clean lines and quality of light you get from a HID Projector.
I would have to say after all the cutting you do there's no going back to stock unless you buy another light.

Ok, thanks for your input :bowdown:

I've decided to do this mod and will post pics and a write up when I'm done.

Well it took me more than a year to get this done and finally a friend helped me to pull it off. I only replaced the low beam with an FX-R bi-xenon projector and left the high beam untouched and unplugged. I hope the light output from the FX-R will be enough for my needs :)

Final pics will be up later.

Pics:

31012011.jpg

31012011_2.jpg

IMAG0037_edit_20_percent.jpg

Well it took me more than a year to get this done and finally a friend helped me to pull it off. I only replaced the low beam with an FX-R bi-xenon projector and left the high beam untouched and unplugged. I hope the light output from the FX-R will be enough for my needs :)

Final pics will be up later.

Pics:

That looks awesome. - Like something Darth Vader would have on his Busa!

Back