'08 Brake Test Comparo

Scar

Seasoned Pilot
Donating Member
Registered
There seems to be quite a bit of consternation and negative publicity regarding the brakes on the Gen2 'busa.  I offer the following in reply...

An article, written by Dr. Voyko Banjac, in the November 2007 issue of Friction Zone Magazine (www.friction-zone.com) offers comparisons (bikes against bikes and bikes against cages) which outlines that of the bikes tested, the 'busa tied the Ducati 999 for 2nd best, and was only bettered by the Triumph Speed Triple in the 60-0 stop-off.  The two 2nd-place bikes stopped in 112 feet, and the best of them stopped in 107 feet.  It stands to reason that because the 'busa is so much heavier than both the 999 and the Speed Triple, that the brakes must be better.  I'm not an expert, just really good at 'reasoning'.

These results (stopping distances) were taken from the testing EXPERTS at Road & Track for the cages, and from the testing EXPERTS at Motorcycle Consumer News for the bikes. I, for one, do not question their validity.

The 'busa and 999 stopped four feet shorter than a Corvette, a Porsche 911, and a Kawi ZX-10; two feet shorter than a BMW 750i, as well as the Honda CBR1000RR.  The report goes on and on, so I won't continue to quote it.  If you get a chance, you should read the entire article  It's called:  Crash Science; "Motorcycle Handling Myth #1--A Motorcycle Stops on a Dime".

The article can be found here...

http://www.friction-zone.com/west/crashscience.html

RANT:

Personally speaking, the brakes on my '08 are better than those on my '06...so for ME, it's an upgrade.  Then again, I'm not looking for stuff to complain about and/or pick at and/or dissect.  
whistling.gif

As 'busa owners and fellow oRg members, we respect your opinions and perspectives.  But, if it's not too much to ask, please stop beating the dead horse.  

We get it.  You don't like them and you feel cheated.  Sorry.  Maybe next time 'round, Suzuki will call YOU to ask what YOU think they should do.  Until then, there are plenty of other aspects on which to focus as well as other points to make.

Just lay out the facts or opinion to make your point, then move on.  Otherwise, it sounds a lot like whining.

Thanks in advance.

END RANT

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

We need a "cheese" emotiocon to go with "whine" about the brakes
rofl.gif

beerchug.gif

No matter what you do, there are going to be people who will find fault with it.

We get it.  You don't like them and you feel cheated.  Sorry.
What a flaccid, no-load, pussified post this is....  
boohoo.gif

Scar, why don't you just grow a pair and actually ADDRESS the person you are ranting to, instead of this schoolgirl approach? I am not the only one to mention the stock brakes are sub-optimal, but I think we all know who you are addressing in this limp-dìck rant.

Look, I really don't give a flying rat's ass if you or anyone else here is upset at hearing anything but fan-boy verbiage about our chosen marque. Gee, is that gruff old Warchild saying mean things and hurting someone's widdle feelings? Tough titty. Here's a concept.... just don't read my posts, and your world will be sweeter, kinder and gentler.... birds will chirp, butterflies will  flit from flower to flower, the sun will shine on sweet smelling hay, etc, etc.  
goodboy.gif

So I've mentioned a few times that (IMO) the stock brakes are somewhat lame, and I mentioned the B-King doesn't seem to be saddled with the same hardware. BFD! So what? The stock brakes are easily fixed with a few simple upgrades. I've done these mods; the Tokico's are (for me) acceptable for now, and it's not THAT big of a deal, so there is little need to try to make some big damn soap opera out of it with this dramatic plea for sunshine and happiness in all things K8. If, in your riding experience, your riding style and your riding environment, you have found the stock brakes work for you, that's splendid. That's wonderful. I am oh-so glad you like them.

I found that (in my riding experience, my riding style and my riding environment) the stock setup wasn't quite as splendid. So I commented as such, and then made some mods until they were acceptable. For me. You can call it "beating a dead horse", "nit-picking" or "whining", or any other denigrating label you want to put on it. It changes nothing.

Just understand this: one thing you will never, EVER get me to do is to not speak my mind and not provide observations as I experience them.... not some silly-ass magazine with whatever alleged "experts" say occurs under their perfect testing conditions. Like any of that $hit actually means anything! The only experience that counts - the sole determining factor in any hardware evaluation - is that which one experiences one's self. In one's own riding environment. Under one's own hand. All the rest of that tripe is just words and entertainment. If you want to take them as gospel, go for it. Have a blast.

You say potAto - I'll say potOto... and we'll both be right, because we both have opinions and various other anatomical parts.

Have a nice day.  
winkold.gif

cool.gif

So I've mentioned a few times that (IMO) the stock brakes are somewhat lame,
Yes, we know.

If you thought I was attacking you, or singling you out, then stand corrected.  Had I had words for only you, personally, I would have addressed you, independently, in separate correspondence.

In the interim, I might advise you to smooth your abrasive, confrontational demeanor and discontinue your use of playground language.  It is poorly received by the Moderators, Administrators, and the other members of this venue.

Back to the subject, I don't like the Brakes on the '08 at all. I don't have the cofidence in them as I do my ZX14 (btw are the best stock brakes on a bike I've ever felt) or my R1. In fact I've already been in a situation where I had to make a sudden stop and I was scared that the bike wasn't going to stop. Never had that feeling on my other two bikes. But like warchild said, its an easy fix. I don't care what this article said, to me the brake don't instil confidence at all.

Come spring time, I will have a new set up for braking whether it be jsut pads, or a whole new system.

Back to the subject, I don't like the Brakes on the '08 at all. I don't have the cofidence in them as I do my ZX14 (btw are the best stock brakes on a bike I've ever felt) or my R1. In fact I've already been in a situation where I had to make a sudden stop and I was scared that the bike wasn't going to stop. Never had that feeling on my other two bikes. But like warchild said, its an easy fix. I don't care what this article said, to me the brake don't instil confidence at all.

Come spring time, I will have a new set up for braking whether it be jsut pads, or a whole new system.
well sell the busa then and go elsewhere with yourself

Back