06 Busa 24K miles, bad 4 and 5 gear and slight knock

tekati

Registered
I purchased a 06 Busa LE with 24K miles. It has a 4th and 5th gear issue where it feels like it goes into neutral but will grind. It also has a very slight knock which does not appear to be transmission or clutch related which has yet to be determined as to what it is. The bike has stock exhaust and air box yet has a Power Commander III which is strange.

So with all that my plans so far are pull the engine and take the gear clusters and shift rods and send them off to be reworked by R&D Motorsports. I spoke with the guy on the phone and wow does he seem to know that transmission and what needs to be done to fix/beef it up.

The engine part is another story. I am thinking about letting the local shop handle that part using APE parts. Finding the knock might be a bit of a trick but hopefully will become obvious when the engine has been torn down. If anyone has a good place to send the engine too that might be an option as well. Looking for a reasonable shop with a decent turn around.

So with that brief store let me put my thoughts out there and see if you guys agree. I am not a racer by any means. I love fast cars and fast bikes but have no plans to race on the strip. I would like for nothing around to be able to touch it on the streets. I am thinking a stage 1 turbo kit would fit my needs for a few different reasons. By the time I purchase a full exhaust, do some sort of air intake work and possible change out chain and sprockets I would have 2K pretty easily invested. I could always do a Gen II crank conversion and do some performance mods in the engine and what get MAYBE 220HP if I am lucky and spend a ton of money? So why not just do a stage 1 turbo kit? Am I thinking right here?

So for now I am thinking stage 1 or possible stage 2 dialed down MOST of the time. With that said what engine work is recommended? Its already going to be in pieces so its gonna be time to do what needs to be done. Obviously gonna go with Turbo Pistons and not use a spacer since I am that far in. Thinking might want to do Rods? What type of head work is recommended? What type of clutch work is recommended? Any other work I should be doing while I am refreshing this thing?

Now on to turbo kits? I know there are a ton out there. Mr. Turbo, RPM Velocity, Hahn Racecraft, RCC, others? What kits are still current and would best suit my needs?

I think I would like to start with a simpler Stage 1 that is upgrade-able in the future if I decide to go that route.

Anyone have any thoughts on a good Brake System upgrade to stop that new HP? I know that Brembo stuff is good but even though I want to spend good money I would prefer not to piss it away either. I would like to have good turbo brakes but not total overkill to the tune of 3-4K in brakes which can be easily done with the best Brembo and other stuff out there.

So in short looking for info on.

Stage 1 Turbo Kit (Upgradeable)
Engine mods needed to support Stage 1 with a max of a stage 2 turbo no more than 450HP (long down the road). If huge differences between mods of stage 1 and 2 please break them apart.
Transmission is pretty much handled but if you have suggestions and or dealings good or bad with R&D out of Clearwater FL id love to hear about them
Brake Mods (Good stuff not the BEST OF THE BEST break the bank stuff)
Anything else I am missing or would be wise to consider would be great.

I purchased a 06 Busa LE with 24K miles. It has a 4th and 5th gear issue where it feels like it goes into neutral but will grind. It also has a very slight knock which does not appear to be transmission or clutch related which has yet to be determined as to what it is. The bike has stock exhaust and air box yet has a Power Commander III which is strange.

So with all that my plans so far are pull the engine and take the gear clusters and shift rods and send them off to be reworked by R&D Motorsports. I spoke with the guy on the phone and wow does he seem to know that transmission and what needs to be done to fix/beef it up.

The engine part is another story. I am thinking about letting the local shop handle that part using APE parts. Finding the knock might be a bit of a trick but hopefully will become obvious when the engine has been torn down. If anyone has a good place to send the engine too that might be an option as well. Looking for a reasonable shop with a decent turn around.

So with that brief store let me put my thoughts out there and see if you guys agree. I am not a racer by any means. I love fast cars and fast bikes but have no plans to race on the strip. I would like for nothing around to be able to touch it on the streets. I am thinking a stage 1 turbo kit would fit my needs for a few different reasons. By the time I purchase a full exhaust, do some sort of air intake work and possible change out chain and sprockets I would have 2K pretty easily invested. I could always do a Gen II crank conversion and do some performance mods in the engine and what get MAYBE 220HP if I am lucky and spend a ton of money? So why not just do a stage 1 turbo kit? Am I thinking right here?

Yes.

So for now I am thinking stage 1 or possible stage 2 dialed down MOST of the time. With that said what engine work is recommended?

That depends on how much horsepower you intend on making.

Its already going to be in pieces so its gonna be time to do what needs to be done. Obviously gonna go with Turbo Pistons and not use a spacer since I am that far in. Thinking might want to do Rods? What type of head work is recommended? What type of clutch work is recommended? Any other work I should be doing while I am refreshing this thing?

Turbo pistons for the Gen 1 use an .080" spacer plate. You should do rods if you intend on going over 300 rwhp for sure, and you don't need headwork (other than a good valve job and new valve seals) or cams. You can make over 500 rwhp with the stock head and cams and a big turbo. Obviously, you will have at least put good clutch springs in. While you are at it, have the tranny cut and go with a heavy duty output shaft. Do the high output oil pump gear which also turns your water pump faster, and gut the stock thermostat. With 24K, you want to put in a new cam chain, and all new bearings, rods and mains. Now is the time to replace the output shaft seal and clutch push rod seal. Do the motor once and do it right.

Now on to turbo kits? I know there are a ton out there. Mr. Turbo, RPM Velocity, Hahn Racecraft, RCC, others? What kits are still current and would best suit my needs?

They all are, and it depends what your needs are.

I think I would like to start with a simpler Stage 1 that is upgrade-able in the future if I decide to go that route.

I am not sure the new Velocity kits are easily upgradeable, I know the Hahn kits are not and that the best kit in this category would be RCC. The turbo that comes with the RCC Stage One will support Stage Two hp 400+ if you wanted to upgrade later. You would need either bigger injectors or a Stage Two Microtech piggyback setup to fuel that much boost.
A Stage One bolted to your Gen 1, even with a built motor, is limited by your stock injectors. At 80 - 90 lbs of fuel pressure you will run out of injector right around 275 rwhp. I'm not saying you can't make 300 rwhp on the stock injectors - I saw 307 rwhp on one bike with stock injectors. The A/F is too lean at those hp levels to be safe and reliable.

Anyone have any thoughts on a good Brake System upgrade to stop that new HP? I know that Brembo stuff is good but even though I want to spend good money I would prefer not to piss it away either. I would like to have good turbo brakes but not total overkill to the tune of 3-4K in brakes which can be easily done with the best Brembo and other stuff out there.

Go braided lines and good pads, try that.

So in short looking for info on.

Stage 1 Turbo Kit (Upgradeable)
Engine mods needed to support Stage 1 with a max of a stage 2 turbo no more than 450HP (long down the road). If huge differences between mods of stage 1 and 2 please break them apart.
Transmission is pretty much handled but if you have suggestions and or dealings good or bad with R&D out of Clearwater FL id love to hear about them
Brake Mods (Good stuff not the BEST OF THE BEST break the bank stuff)
Anything else I am missing or would be wise to consider would be great.
There are other options to consider like the chassis, especially if you plan on dragracing . . .

EBC HH extreme pro pads are huge improvement in braking for only a pad change. Stainless steel lines really improve the brake feel too. Pads are around $200, lines are around $150, and that's front and rear. A better master cylinder, rotors, and of course calipers are the expensive brake improvements.
Powerhouse is the turbo guy to deal with.:beerchug:

There are other options to consider like the chassis, especially if you plan on dragracing . . .

No drag racing in my future.

My plans are running pump gas with octane booster for a MAX of 7-8lb of boost most of the time.
Option to run race fuel and up the boost to 13lb+ or more.
This will be 99% street driven so I want to retain reliability.

So for now here is my current plans.

Engine Work
Turbo Pistons (With Spacer)
Rods (Carrillo, Crower, Wossner)
Valve Springs (APE, Carpenter)
Head Studs (APE)
High Volume Oil Pump Gear (APE)
Cometic Head Gasket
Lightening and Balancing Crank (APE)
Manual Cam Chain Tensioner (APE)
Cam Chain
Main and Rod Bearings
62lb Injectors (MPS)
Power Commander III
Power Commander Hub
GM 3 Bar Map Sensor

Transmission Work
Sending Gear Clusters to R&D Motorsports
Heavy Duty Clutch Springs
.070 Circlips on 4th and 5th Gear Shaft
Heavy Duty Output Shaft
Undercut Gears
New Shift Fork Shafts (Stronger)
Clutch Cover Support Bracket
Anything else they recommend

Brake Work
EBC HH Extreme Pro Pads
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
This is to start if not satisfied more to come later

List of Questions...
Has anyone ever tried or heard if the Stedman Stage 1 Turbo Kit is it any good?
Do I want to or need to run a Tial 50mm Blow Off?
Do I want to or need to run Water Injection?
What sort of suspension/chassis mods do I need to really look at? (I know its gonna be hard to keep the front tire on the ground)
I know I am going to need a boost controller of some sort wanting to be able to switch boost profiles. Should I bite the bullet and get a AMS1000 or is there something a little more tame for my needs?
What else am I missing here?

List of Questions...
Has anyone ever tried or heard if the Stedman Stage 1 Turbo Kit is it any good?

If you like Chinese turbos it is good.
Do I want to or need to run a Tial 50mm Blow Off?
Yes, you want to run a BOV . . .
Do I want to or need to run Water Injection?
Water/methanol injection will reduce intake temps and enable you to run more boost with pump gas.
What sort of suspension/chassis mods do I need to really look at? (I know its gonna be hard to keep the front tire on the ground)
Extending the swingarm is always a good choice, especially with a turbo. 3-4" would be fine, but stay away from bolt-on swingarm extensions . . .
I know I am going to need a boost controller of some sort wanting to be able to switch boost profiles. Should I bite the bullet and get a AMS1000 or is there something a little more tame for my needs?
If you want or need a multistage boost controller for the street, the MSBC-1 is less expensive and works better than an AMS1000 in the gear position mode.
What else am I missing here?
It sounds like you pretty much have it covered. I might modify your list slightly, but nothing major.

Chinese Turbo really had no idea that kit was one.

Okay I think I am convinced a RCC kit will be the way to go.
What are the lead times on the turbo kit from powerhouse so I can plan accordingly?

Chinese Turbo really had no idea that kit was one.

Okay I think I am convinced a RCC kit will be the way to go.
What are the lead times on the turbo kit from powerhouse so I can plan accordingly?

Three weeks or less. We are still offering discounts on RCC kits to Hayabusa.org members . . .

You have my interest how much of a discount?

Looking for Stage 1 Kit

For a limited time, POWERHOUSE is offering a $200 discount off the cost of any complete RCC turbo kit, and will also throw in a free RCC T-shirt.

It's been said here a million times!! Go with The RCC kit!!!! you will not regrett it!! Richard does great work!! I just did a stage two from him Perfect install!! And deal through Power house! Frank will go above and beyoned to help you out with what ever he can! a class act all the way!!!

My steadmen turbo has been around for 16k miles, at over 300hp. The steadmen kits use Rcc header, charg pipes, plenum, fuel pump, fmu, and dump pipes. Steadmen supplies the rest. But I still say go with Rcc specially if your gonna do the install. You'll get it a lot faster, and it will be complete, aswell as good tech support.

Back