04 GSXR 1000 vs. ZX-12 (x2)

Terminal Illness

Registered
Well, I know I don't have a Busa, but i'm callin mine the Mini Busa..lmao..

I have an 04 GSXR 1000 Blk/Silver. I have a full HMF Exhaust, PC III USB, BMC Race filter, JSD, Custom Map (from Tulsa Cycle sypply) and a set of Web 540/566 Cams (degreed to 105/105). My last Dyno run was 165.5 HP with 81.0 Ft. Lbs of torque at the rear wheel.

I've had several guys in the OKC area with Zx-12's talking about how fast these bikes were. I know that they are the Busa's Main competition so I wanted to see how my little 1000 would do against them. They are both 01 ZX-12's in the Kawi Green. 1 is stock except for a -1 in the front sprocket and they other had a full Muzzy Exhaust w/ a Power commander and custom map. The 1st one up was the stock bike...We did roll ons from 60 MPH up to about 175 MPH. I never seen the ZX-12 from the time we took off. He said that I pulled him about 1 1/2 bikes (It looked further then that to me). I let off at 175 because he had not caught me. He later said that he could not catch me and that I was still pulling on him...

Next up was the other ZX-12 w/ the exhaust. We did a few roll on's because he said that his bike kept coming up on him. The last run was a good one..Again from about 60 MPH to about 180 MPH...I also never seen this bike from the time I hit it until it let off the throttle...Both guys said that I had the strongest 1000 they had seen and had never been beaten by a 1000...

So little brother scored two for the family...Now that this has happened, I've had all sorts of people wanting to race me and my 1000...People w/ Busa's and Kawi's, but these guys have NOS...lmao..give me a break guys...Guess i'll take em 1 at a time and see how I do..

I'm still planning on advancing my intake Cam 1 degree to bring my peak power back to 11,500 RPM's (makes power all the way to redline). And i'm installing a set of 04 GSXR 750 short stacks for 2-4 more HP up top. The degreeing should beef up my mid range some and the SS should help with a little more top end HP...

Captian, i'll have to stop by your house when it starts to warm up and let you ride it and see what you think about (what he calls) my girl bike......

Right on bro...way ta show em....welcome aboard!!
beerchug.gif

Welcome to the board and way to keep it in the family.

The 005 gsxr 1000 is supposed to be really something. Another 10 hp? Not selling them here till spring.

Hey Terminal Illness ,

I'm somewhere south of OKC also . It's a shame that the OKC area has had 3 operating 1/4 mile strips in the last 20 years and there's not one single bike dyno around .

Tulsa has 3 shops with dyno's - 1 dragstrip .

Someone would have bikes lined up if they invested in a dyno around these parts .

there is a guy out of gainesville texas just dynoed mine last week it's not that far for you guys I'll post his info later it's in the truck

I love it I love it!!! That made me feel good ready that the ZX12 couldn't do anything at all to the GSXR1000!!! Beautiful
muscle.gif
muscle.gif

muscle.gif

Let them put that much motor work into thier bikes and see if things change...

All the newer 1000's are scary with the power they are making now and lower weight.  

Good stuff.
smile.gif

Yeah but a good 03-04 GSXR 1000 with high compression pistons and good head will lay 190 down to the rear .

A typical 12R built has what , 195 hp and weighs more still yet ? It's hard for me to see it overcoming the power to weight ratio still .

Saw a built 1070 ZX-10R making 205 on good gas and it appears the best liter bike to build on the cheap is the new K5 . No head porting needed per sey . It has one hell of a head on it . It has the lowest duration cams of any liquid cooled generation Gixxer 1k by quite a bit leaving room for more power with cams and pistons and the likes .

Seems a Stage 1 turbo'd K5 would be a sweet machine .

Good Point. But at some point the question will arise... who is skilled enough to launch the thing?

A heavier (longer) bike can be launched harder and use all of it's hp earlier. A short light high-hp bike has to feather the clutch out so far and can't make full use of it's power to weight ratio advantage.

It's a package deal. Then the mods list keeps growing and growing to swingarms, suspension etc.

Good Point.  But at some point the question will arise... who is skilled enough to launch the thing?
If talking living life 1/4 mile at a time launch would come into play so a guy just lengthens them and straps em down .

However it's not all about drag racing for some of us when we build engines just for the grins of it . We try to benefit from the extra power lifting the wheel in higher gears out of the apexes than it would stock, stepping the rear out purposely and more . Beside's , some of us just cannot leave a engine stock internally . It's just one part of our hobby .

I ride alone for many reasons so never race a buddy per sey but if I had a built Gixxer and ran across the odd ZX-12 wanting a piece of me on the lonesome backroads he have to try it from a second gear roll and if he would not , he could kiss my arse

I ride alone for many reasons so never race a buddy per sey but if I had a built Gixxer and ran across the odd ZX-12 wanting a piece of me on the lonesome backroads he have to try it from a second gear roll and if he would not , he could kiss my arse
I'm not a dedicated drag racer myself. It's just a nice [Legal] outlet where me and my Busa buddy can get it on. Any time we head to the twisties, it results in us running waaaay above legal (or reasonably safe) speeds to get any challenge out of it.

My previous post(s) were focused on engine mods alone, as that seemed to be the spearhead of the 1k riders post.

I prefer riding the canyons alone myself (probably for reasons similar to your own). My last bike (ZX9R) was modded, and I am sure I will not be able to resist modding this one as well; just because we have to!

I was running Pirelli Dragon SuperCorsa's, so traction wasn't an issue, but lifting the front wheel on the 9 in tight sections was an issue. On the 12, I was just smoking up the stock 200 rear Dunlop in the lower gears exiting corners, so I just switched to an 190/60 Dunlop GPA. Interestingly tall tire, but it works great on the 12.
wink.gif

My point was that sometimes you can do more with less. For example, a dialed-in 600 on a super twisty road would be quicker than the 12 or 1k's are ... Less wild power delivery and lighter weight on the same tires.

Back