Hayabusa.org English class thread

TIMMYDUCK

Head Woodchuck
Donating Member
Registered
Just post a English grammer rule if you like, and improve the use of proper grammer at Hayabusa.org

1) I before E except after C.

All mammals breath air
whales breath air
whales are mammals
dat dare isa sillogism

4. There: a place - notice the word 'here' in there;

Their: possessive, denotes ownership - notice the word 'heir' (as in heir to the throne or heirloom);

They're: contraction for "They are". (ie. They're going to get this right from now on or they will be asked to sit over there and suck on their thumb while they think about it) - notice the word 'they'.

Funny thing is, when reading a thread where two posters have opposing viewpoints, I tend to give greater weight to the one which uses correct grammar, spelling, has no homophone* errors, and is free of Internet shorthand.

cheers
ken

* brake/break
brake/break

Just post a English grammer rule if you like, and improve the use of proper grammer at Hayabusa.org

1) I before E except after C.

Grammer shall in the future be spelled grammar. :poke: :laugh:

Kidding aside, I could probably post a hundred common problems.

Too : besides, also (sell the house and furniture too)
to an excessive degree : excessively (too large a house for us) to such a degree as to be regrettable (this time he has gone too far) very (didn't seem too interested)
so (“I didn't do it.” “You did too.”)

That last one should come in handy around here :laugh:

Funny thing is, when reading a thread where two posters have opposing viewpoints, I tend to give greater weight to the one which uses correct grammar, spelling, has no homophone* errors, and is free of Internet shorthand.

cheers
ken

* brake/break
brake/break

+ 1

How about "paragraphs are your friend"? They allow you to break your thoughts up into more understandable form.

cheers
ken

* brake/break
brake/break

I agree....but it's hard not to. Especially when you're in a hurry. And the younger generation now, with their texting. Correct grammar is going to become a lost dialect :unhappy:

Oh yeah, that reminds me...it's "You're going to your house"...not "Your going to you're house".

Logic is adv English, freshman stuff. You might encounter this fallacy frequently, basis
for a lot of superstitions.
"after this, therefore because of this" AKA
"post hoc, ergo propter hoc"

Back