Muzzy fan install with pics.

GMbusa

Orange is the fastest
Donating Member
Registered
I'm starting this walk through with both lower fairings removed, it's a good time to think about changing your oil since the bodywork is off.

First start by unplugging the sensor on the rad, then the fan. The fan connector will be attatched to the frame by a reusable tie.

The connect on the left goes to the rad and the right is the fan wires.

fanpic2.JPG

Remove both upper radiator mounting bolts. There's one on each side.

fanpic3.JPG

Loosen the support bolt below the oil cooler. Also, remove the center mounting bolt between the rad and oil cooler.

fanpic4.JPG

Remove the horn(2 5mm allenhead bolts) Connector just pulls off.

Once the horn is removed, you can ease the rad forward to allow room for your hands.

<!--EDIT|GMbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1143164454 -->

fanpic5.JPG

Beg, borrow or steal one of these 10mm ratchet wrenches. It helps when removing the center bolt on the fan housing.

fanpic7.JPG

There's 3 mounting bolts holding the fan assy to the rad. This is probly the biggest pain on this mod, the third mounting bolt for the fan housing located right in the middle of everything.

<!--EDIT|GMbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1143165375 -->

fanpic6.JPG

Remove the 3 mounting bolts holding the fan assy to the rad and work it out. With the fan housing in a good resting place, remove the 3 screws holding the fan on the motor. In the Muzzy package should be the instructions, fan and a sticky spacer. Put the sticky spacer on the motor like this and then the fan.
Get some BLUE loctite and use it on the little screws. Even a drop is too much so try this. Put a drop of loctite on the table, then dip ever so slightly the end of the screw into the drop. There, just the right amount of loctite on the threads. Install screws.

<!--EDIT|GMbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1143165651 -->

fanpic8.JPG

Reverse the steps and it should wind up like this. Watch how much you tighten the upper rad bolts, the threads will strip REAL easy.

Also, make sure there isn't anything above or around the fan assy that can interfere with the fan blades.
This would be a good time to add alittle dialectic grease to the electrical connectors.

See, it wasn't that bad. Now either get a fan from me or install the one you've been puttin off doing.

THE END.

fanpic9.JPG

Good job... but you forgot to show a picture of how the Muzzy fan mounts to the fan motor. Did you put it on like this. If not, I need to take my fan out and remount
smile.gif

muzzy_guard.jpg

I'd like to know how you unplugged the sensor on the radiator, I tried everything I could think of and couldn't figure it out. It was a real biatch trying to slide the fan around it.
rock.gif

Whenever you work around yer rad...tape some thick cardboard over it,to prevent smashing up the cooling veins.

Nice tutorial, gmbusa. I installed the fan I got from you but I didn't loosen the radiator bolts. I unplugged the sensor wire (hint - if you can't see how to disconnect that connector unscrew the sensor a little; this rotates it so you can see how that little latch on the connector works!), removed the sensor, and then removed the fan housing bolts.

And it came right out.

I also did not use loctite on the screws when I installed the muzzy fan. There didn't seem to be any on them when I took them out. Suppose it's insurance though

Back