Question for c10

BBMykey

Donating Member
Registered
Hey dude! Since you obviously have a great deal of expertise. (Certainly more than me). I was wondering why you chose the Hayabusa over the gen2 ZX14? I love my Hayabusa and would never look back but when I bought my gen2 Busa the ZX14 was still the gen1. I love the looks of the Busa and dislike the looks of the ZX14. This was the main reason I chose the Busa. That being said the gen2 ZX14 is faster and more powerful. It would have been a harder decision for me if that choice were available. Like yourself, I also like Kawasaki so brand loyalty was not really involved. You know so much about bikes that I was curious about how you made your decision.

Well this is not the first time I have been asked this question . FYI I'm not here or saying anything to brag . I'm a lucky man getting to work on many make/models of bikes over the years . Not for a shop though . I ran a private one bike at a time shop were it was word of mouth business , and if a bike was in the shop already
yours did not come in till it was complete . I gave customers the treatment I would to my own machines , and even better sometimes . Years of this have lead to some great friendships , chances to ride some amazing machines ( both race , and street bikes ) So fast forward to about 6 months ago . My wife no longer
rides 2 up on the FJR1300 . She rides her own modded out yamaha T Max . I wanted a super bike again to replace my old ZX11D I miss . I have worked on many ZX12's , and Gen 1 ZX14's , and dis like them in service aspect greatly . So much so I refuse to do motor work for two ZX14 customers of mine .
The ZX14 and 14R are fast machines , but handle like a SCHOOL BUS ! Ofcourse so does the Hayabusa with a 300 kit /lowered , and most of the crap that gets tossed on them unprofessionally . Out of the Box stock for stock the Busa will carve better than a ZX14 / 14R , it has a valve train one can access in less than 5 minutes for valve adjustments . Storage ! A seat cowl that does not rub the paint off the tail section . A cam chain adjuster that does not sound like the motor is going to blow on every days first start up . No one works on my bikes ever so I needed a bike I could service easily myself from motor work to
simple adjustments . The Hayabusa was it in a nut shell . Fast , handles well , comfy with a few minor touring mods .

Few people can ride bikes like these to their full limit . I'm dam good , but its still enough bike that I have a healthy respect for its power .
So being able to go 2 tenths of a second faster in the 1/4 mile or get to 186 mph 1 second faster is not a selling feature for me .
The Hayabusa is just a dam good machine.

FYI My brother bought a Hayabusa , and one of my ZX14 customers is planning on selling his Gen 1 ZX14 to purchase a Hayabusa so that I will service it for him .
Also sorry if this seemed like a ramble on , as my family came into bug me several times during this post lol .

Thanks for the detailed answer. Some facts I did not know from someone who does know. Makes me feel even better about choosing my Hayabusa.

They can make a ZX-14 twice as fast and quick. They can make it handle like a moto-GP bike. They can put the greatest electronics suite and suspension ever designed.

In the world of Legendary Motorcycles, the ZX will always be an also ran to the Hayabusa!!!!

There's a lot of truth to that, E Zurcher. If you talk to someone who knows next to nothing about bikes (say, the average Harley rider:laugh:) and say you've got a "ZX" or a "ZX 14R" or whatever, they'll say, "Oh. What's that?"

Nobody asks what you mean when you say you ride a Hayabusa. They usually say, "Wow, that's too much motorcycle for me" if they ride, or "That thing is crazy fast, isn't it?" if they don't.

Not a reason to buy one, but it's fun to hear when you own one.

I've always wanted to be a bike collector. Just don't have the cash and there are other imposed priorities. Yeah, I'm married.

My list in addition to the bike I have now would include.

Yamaha RD400 Daytona Special
KZ1000 Z1R
GS1100ES
Katana
Yamaha XS1100 Midnight Special
Kawi H2 Original
Honda 400 Super Sport
Any of the older Ducati sport bikes
GPZ 750 Turbo
Honda Interceptor
Honda Blackbird
My old Yamaha DT175 enduro.

Sorry, I'm a child of the 80s

My brother (c10) thinks I am stalking him on the forum but I have to post his "lost love" (which is in my stable but not too far out of his "monkey mechanics" grasp)

Oh wait.. more like this :laugh: just over 30k miles at 16 years old.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pictures I managed not to delete :( Thanks brother :)

DSC_1101_zpsyd8fdouj.jpg
DSC_1098_zpst0g4bhh8.jpg
DSC_1085_zpsvtadtf35.jpg
DSC_1074_zps5nyfv7uw.jpg
DSC_0550_zpsjbpsw9gr.jpg
DSC_0455_zps2507c3ef.jpg
DSC_0454_zps148444d9.jpg
DSC_0453_zps8cb90757.jpg
DSC_0451_zps038cc4e9.jpg
DSC_0409_zps83f77137.jpg
DSC_0395_zps2d2448e8.jpg
DSC_0368_zpsf2917f0f.jpg