DIY turbo build

dazgreen46

Registered
Hi All,
I've had my hayabusa for 18 months and this is about the time I usually sell and buy another bike.
The thing is, I'm kind of in love with the bike and from what I can see the sky's the limit with them power wise.
I've been looking at lots of Turbo kits from various places but was wondering if it's easy enough to piece a setup together.
Are there any specific turbo sizes to go for? Bike specific kits are expensive so are there any car turbos that work? Is it essential to have an external wastegate?
I'm only really thinking of producing around 230-260hp and with stock internals. If needs be I'll fit a headspacer but I'd rather not be doing rods and pistons because of cost.
Any info appreciated.

Unless you have extraordinary fabricating/mechanical skills,you will end up spending more money cobbling a bunch of mismatched parts together to make a kit then it will cost you to buy a kit from RCC.

Bike specific kits are a expensive for a reason. Can you use a car turbo? Sure,with enough time/money you can make anything work.

External WG is not mandatory but internal gates are notorious for boost creep and allowing it to over boost....which is a very bad thing. You can get them to work,but it requires you dismantling the turbo and grinding the housing etc. Its easier/cheaper in the long run to fit an external WG.

Everything about a turbo bike is expensive;there are no short cuts around the cost. You either pay now,or pay twice as much later when something breaks. If you are thinking about building a kit to save money,it may be time to re-think owning a turbo Busa:whistle:

I realise its not a cheap thing to do, but I also realise large companies like to rip people off who don't know what they are doing.
From what I can see all the components can be brought separately from different manufacturers. Plenums, manifolds, pipework etc.
I just didn't know if there was a car turbo that would do the job as well as a £1200 garret from big CC racing.
Ive had turbo cars and you can get holsets as big as your head for half that price

There's no such thing as "bike" turbos. Just turbos that you have to spec properly to be effective in your application.

Hi,
I think you're the guy I need to speak to TBH.
I was just seeing if there was a turbo application that was the right spec that wasn't being sold as a "bike" turbo.
I've since looked at your site and realised how much cheaper the kits are over the water.
Just to give you an idea, a comparative stage 1 kit in the UK is around £2000 more!
I was going to email you about shipping to the UK.
The big issue is when stuff lands in customs they take the value written on the package and add around 20%.
I suppose my question is, could what's written on the package be less than the actual cost??

What is the minimum value they assign taxes too ? in Aus its $1000 so 2 boxes of $950 gets no tax and if we exceed the 1000 its only 10%

Dazgreen,can you post a few pics of your RGV? Im a huge 2stroke fan and had a mint '86 RG500 for 11 years before I sold it.

Sorry to hijack:beerchug:

No worries.
I'd kill for a RG500

1.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

sad day.jpg

Whoa,that bike is mint!!!

Thanks very much!! I do look after it, it's kind of the love of my life haha.
The plan is to keep it tidy and original, only using it for little blasts when the weathers nice.
Difficult to ride back to back with the busa and the 7. 2 strokes require a different type of skill to keep buzzing as you know.

What is the minimum value they assign taxes too ? in Aus its $1000 so 2 boxes of $950 gets no tax and if we exceed the 1000 its only 10%

Hi, it's anything over like £100. The queen is one greedy woman haha.
I got 2 t shirts from the states a few weeks ago and they charged vat and duty on that!!

Thanks very much!! I do look after it, it's kind of the love of my life haha.
The plan is to keep it tidy and original, only using it for little blasts when the weathers nice.
Difficult to ride back to back with the busa and the 7. 2 strokes require a different type of skill to keep buzzing as you know.

Heres my '86. A few minor mods including Jolly Moto pipes

IMG_5258.JPG

IMG_0984.JPG

Jeez that's some bike!!! They don't make them like that anymore.
That'd be worth some serious cash. Are there many still around over there?

They are around here&there but very rare since they are a grey market import and not legal for road use. Finding one with a legit US title is the issue.

Oh really, so you cant ride them on the road?!? Is that for all 2 strokes?

Yes,you can ride them on the road(maybe not in California though???)once all your paperwork is legit and its been titled/registered with the state. The issue is that the VIN number has 1 less digit(been awhile,but I think it has 9 numbers total instead of the 10 total for a bike made for USA)so thats the 1st red flag that pops up. You can get them legally titled in some states such as Vermont or New Hampshire,once you have the title from the state you are golden.

There are some small loopholes that Gamma owners use to squeeze by regulations. In my 11yrs of owning it Ive only seen one other RG500...it was a Walter Wolf imported from Canada. Not really a fan of the WW model. A friend of mine owned a mint Yamaha 1985 Yamaha RZ500 that he bought new. He sold it on eBay a few years for $26,500.
The RG and RZ always fetch top dollar when being sold,now more than ever. Im certain if I sold my Gamma now,instead of in '07 I could have easily gotten almost double of what it sold for then. Oh well:banghead:

Oh ok, doesn't sound too user friendly that process then!
I've never seen on e on the road but I know a few guys through another forum that's have them.
A few guys put the RG500 engine in the 250 frame. Some of those conversions are beautiful but require a serious amount of cash.
Yeah I've noticed that the prices have soared recently.my 250's worth around 30% more than I paid for it.
I find the hardest thing is convincing the other half that NOW is not the right time to sell haha

Back