Perplexed over lettering.

Lunchy

Registered
This seem the most appropriate place. Why is the model for a Hayabusa GSX1300R, and, for example, the GSXR1000 have the 'R' in a different sequence? Also, why did the 'Busa get it's special moniker, although the rider self appointed GSXR's as gixxers. Could a 'Busa be called a Gixxer? I love trivia, especially about things I really enjoy. -Lunchy.

In GSXR, 'R' stands for Racing, but then one would be wondering what 'R' stands for in GSX1300R. Only GSXR sequence can be named Gixxer as the letters are together.

Formally, Hayabusa is a sport-touring bike, however since its introduction in 1999, it created its own class, and thus is treated as a one of a kind, and a very special bike. I've heard a few riders calling it a gixxer, but most don't. Gixxer is about a light and purely sport oriented bike.

While Hayabusa is the king of power delivery, it cannot compete with gixxers and similar bikes in cornering department, although is very capable for the level of most riders, except for the few very advanced riders.

In GSXR, 'R' stands for Racing, but then one would be wondering what 'R' stands for in GSX1300R. Only GSXR sequence can be named Gixxer as the letters are together.

Formally, Hayabusa is a sport-touring bike, however since its introduction in 1999, it created its own class, and thus is treated as a one of a kind, and a very special bike. I've heard a few riders calling it a gixxer, but most don't. Gixxer is about a light and purely sport oriented bike.

While Hayabusa is the king of power delivery, it cannot compete with gixxers and similar bikes in cornering department, although is very capable for the level of most riders, except for the few very advanced riders.

Cool. Appreciate the response. Any reason for the Hayabusa designation, instead of gsx1300r? Or was it the rivalry with Honda that spawned the name?

its was named after the fastest bird on the planet the perigan falcon i think. I am sure the blackbird did have some influence on the naming of the beast, though it isnt all together uncommon. Concourse aka conni, goldwing , etc...

The Hayabusa was conceived as the king of the gsx line. This line distinguishes these bikes from the more pedestrian models in Suzuki's line. While the Hayabusa is no match for the lighter 1000, 750 and 600 in a turn, the bike was designed to turn and got a bit of an undeserved rap as a straight line bike. I believe the R before the size designates the racing series, but the Hayabusa kept the "R" as it was intended to share some DNA with the racing bikes. The first MotoGP effort the bikes were called GSVR1000, as those had a V4 engine. The new bike is going to be a GSX1000RR, so I guess even Suzuki is confused on what these names mean.

A Busa has a curb weight of 586 lbs with a wheelbase of 58.3 inches. A GIXXER weights 448 lbs with a wheelbase of 55.3 inches.

Any Busa though, if it hears you calling it a GIXXER, will develop a serious cough in that smooth motor.

A Busa has a curb weight of 586 lbs with a wheelbase of 58.3 inches. A GIXXER weights 448 lbs with a wheelbase of 55.3 inches.

Any Busa though, if it hears you calling it a GIXXER, will develop a serious cough in that smooth motor.

You put very eloquently! I re-read it three times to simply enjoy how it comes out. :thumbsup:

Truth be told, I consider GSXR to be suzuki's sport bike designation like ZX*R/Ninja is Kawasaki's

-D

If the 1300 got a good round of liposuction, and weight 'comparably' to the 1000 or 750, would it still be out-cornered? Thanks, -L.

If the 1300 got a good round of liposuction, and weight 'comparably' to the 1000 or 750, would it still be out-cornered? Thanks, -L.

I could be wrong but I think ride height and wheel base has alot to do with it.

If race bikes could turn faster lap times with 58" wheel bases they'd have them. Rake and trail is also a great factor in the bike's ability to turn in properly no matter what the horsepower is. Light (is) better though as the horsepower to weight ratio impacts the bikes quickness way more than outright speed.

As was mentioned, the are a number of things, most obvious being weight and wheelbase. The bike is also quite wide compared to gixxers and will drag plastic/engine cover at a decent lean angle way before a gixxer would (assuming stock pegs were replaced with aftermarket rearsets, otherwise the pegs will drag first), so the lean angle is limited. I am sure there are finer points like mass is not as centralized, forks are possibly angled less aggressively. And so on.

In short, the bike was designed more for outright speed/acceleration, while preserving decent cornering abilities - which are pretty good, so much so that some riders (including myself) are taking the bike to track days, and having a blast. Truly, only a small percentage of riders will reach the limit of this bike in cornering department, and I have to admit I am not one of them, which works out pretty well for me - I don't need a separate bike to enjoy a twisty road or a track day.

Changing a Busa to be like a Gixxer would compare to changing Sandra Bullock into Miley Cirus. :laugh:

I think people miss the point that the front suspension/rake is setup to make the super sports twitchy on purpose. This is great for fast cornering, but not as great if you want stability.

Ever try riding a jeep up to 100 mph? The short wheelbase makes it a lot more scary than just about any other car.

Pick the best tool for the job.

I think people miss the point that the front suspension/rake is setup to make the super sports twitchy on purpose. This is great for fast cornering, but not as great if you want stability.

Ever try riding a jeep up to 100 mph? The short wheelbase makes it a lot more scary than just about any other car.

Pick the best tool for the job.

MotoGP bike Dani Pedrosa on Mugello circuit at 349.3 km/h in 2009, later broken by Lanone in 2014 slightly better but different circuit. Those bikes are pretty stable besides being optimum for cornering.

As was mentioned, the are a number of things, most obvious being weight and wheelbase. The bike is also quite wide compared to gixxers and will drag plastic/engine cover at a decent lean angle way before a gixxer would (assuming stock pegs were replaced with aftermarket rearsets, otherwise the pegs will drag first), so the lean angle is limited. I am sure there are finer points like mass is not as centralized, forks are possibly angled less aggressively. And so on.

Obviously you are unaware of the latest and greatest new inventions in the motorcycle industry. Go to this site "fastturns.com" and have a peek. Designed and made specifically for the hayabusa (see photo below). This ingenious young man has come up with a simple yet effective way to keep the foot pegs off the deck by reducing lean angle while increasing ones corner speed as much as 30%. :shocked:

Don't believe me, check it out. He even claims to school Valentino Rossi on increasing his corner speed with this simple invention. He has made claims that these additional appendages will take a mid-pack racer to the podium and possibly to the winners circle in a single step and a back marker in 20th place to 6th place. Amazing stuff right here I tell you!

If this is good enough for Rossi, you can bet your booty it's good enough for you and me! :cheerleader:

right_foot_under.jpg

Back