Hump cutting 101

argyle66

Registered
Just did my cuts on my hump mod and went surprisingly well...actually a piece of cake

I placed the hump on as best as it would fit resting it on the rail and marked the front points

then I took a piece of card board just a little wider than the rail and marked front and back and cut it for depth a little at a time... same piece worked for the left and right side

then I took the cardboard cut out and penciled along the edges along the cardboard cut-out

then I took a piece of masking taping and made perfect straight edges along the pencil lines... then I placed the hump back in place over the rail to recheck fitting...perfect

then I took the dremel with a mini grinder attachment and gnawed out a rough area just away from the taped edges.. then slowly worked closer to the tape

then I switched out the grinder for a small sander attachment to the dremel and worked along the edges making a perfect line along the masking tape

then I placed it back on the bike for fittment and sanded the area that seem to hang up...once clicked in place I pulled it off

then took a file and worked the edges perfectly straight...

there were no chips in the paint, using the dremel... amazing job, if you dont have one get one or borrow one

now I can switch the hump on and off with ease and trade for a passenger seat

nice wanna come do mine?
cool.gif

I just did mine on my '08. PIA!!! My '06 was a piece of cake. Tons of cutting & fitting needed for the '08!
deadhorse.gif

I don't like the look, but at the same time it makes it much easier to convert from hump to seat and gives you something to hold on to when putting the bike on stands. I just don't use the bar.

Just did my cuts on my hump mod and went surprisingly well...actually a piece of cake

I placed the hump on as best as it would fit resting it on the rail  and marked the front points

then I took a piece of card board just a little wider than the rail and marked front and back and cut it for depth a little at a time... same piece worked for the left and right side

then I took the cardboard cut out and penciled along the edges along the cardboard cut-out

then I took a piece of masking taping and made perfect straight edges along the pencil lines... then I placed the hump back in place over the rail to recheck fitting...perfect

then I took the dremel with a mini grinder attachment and gnawed out a rough area just away from the taped edges.. then slowly worked closer to the tape

then I switched out the grinder for a small sander attachment to the dremel and worked along the edges making a perfect line along the masking tape

then I placed it back on the bike for fittment and sanded the area that seem to hang up...once clicked in place I pulled it off

then took a file and worked the edges perfectly straight...

there were no chips in the paint, using the dremel... amazing job, if you dont have one get one or borrow one

now I can switch the hump on and off with ease and trade for a passenger seat
HUH?
You got pics of the finished product or what?
biggrin.gif

Back