Grab bar hump mod...

BigGeorge

BigGeorge
Donating Member
Registered
BrendanP and I had been talking about the grab bar hump mod on Thrusday and then on Friday he called me and said that he had done it for his Busa. So yesterday I took the trip up to Brendan's neck of Massachusetts. Long ride, bad directions... that's another story.

Brendan started off with my 06 hump and a set of triple chromed grab bars that I bought from Vic_E55_2001 about 1-month ago.

humpmod10.jpg

We installed the grab bars on Brendan's Busa and then set my hump on top. Brendan used a sharpie to mark the length of the bars and then started the cutting.

humpmod1.jpg

He started off cutting with a medium sized rat-tail file. This gave the cut rounded edges for a more custom look.

humpmod2.jpg

Tough work, but someone has to do it!

humpmod9.jpg

<!--EDIT|BigGeorge
Reason for Edit: None given...|1153749347 -->

Once he had the desired depth, he moved on to a 2"  air disc sander.

humpmod3.jpg

humpmod4.jpg

Next, he set the hump on the bike and placed a piece of paper between the bar and the cut. Then he locked the hump into place. Pulling the paper out shows you where the cut is too tight against the bar.

humpmod5.jpg

A few spots were a bit too tight so he used a medium size 1/2 round file and tested again.

humpmod6.jpg

Getting the corners a bit more rounded.

humpmod8.jpg

Once he had the cut where he wanted it, he used 80 grit sandpaper to smooth everything out.

humpmod7.jpg

The entire project took around 40-mins. And here's the end result.

As usual, Brendan comes though. Thanks, bro... you're the MAN!

hump1.jpg

hump2.jpg

<!--EDIT|BigGeorge
Reason for Edit: None given...|1153749037 -->

looking good Big G! might have to get a set of those grips-if Amy ever wants to ride again
tounge.gif

way to go hookn a brotha up, Brendan!
cool.gif

Big G, looks good.

The chrome handlebars look good too, but with zero cushion/give, unlike gels, don't they vibrate like a mutha'?

"My hump My hump My Lovely BUSA HUMP"......Check it out....
tounge.gif
tounge.gif

Just to paraphrase a popular hit song...
biggrin.gif

tounge.gif

Gawd....did ya have to put my ugly mug on this thread?
biggrin.gif

Glad to help you out Bro,glad you are happy.....Now WTF are we going riding again?
rock.gif
?
Bike lookin good mann!!

BTW,bad directions??? You been to my house before and you took exit # 28 the first time,but somehow it mysteriously dissappeared of the highway....Right???
rock.gif

<!--EDIT|brendanp
Reason for Edit: None given...|1153779738 -->

rock.gif

Gawd....did ya have to put my ugly mug on this thread?
biggrin.gif

Glad to help you out Bro,glad you are happy.....Now WTF are we going riding again?
rock.gif
?
Bike lookin good mann!!

BTW,bad directions??? You been to my house before and you took exit # 28 the first time,but somehow it mysteriously dissappeared of the highway....Right???
rock.gif
Okay, you're right about the directions... but so am I, which is why I say you're right because I know I'm right.

Just driving the 1.5 hours to your house I have to stop 3 times for coffee and smoke 9 butts. Just imagine if I was on the Busa... it would take me 2 days to get there
biggrin.gif

Your ugly mug... next I'm posting that video of you doing you know what to your doberman!

rock.gif

biggrin.gif

but somehow it mysteriously dissappeared of the highway....[/QUOTE]
So its like a Ted Williams tunnel thing?
rock.gif

Nice job and great walkthrough! Think this one should be pinned in 'Mods'.
rock.gif

That is some serious nice work brendan. Ive seen BG bike today at his work. I Saw the bars on with the hump and i had to check it out. Looks Even better up in person. I have a question though. The factory bar vs the aftermarket grabbars, do they have the same thickness and width as eachother? Just in case i ever want to switch either bars.

I have a question though. The factory bar vs the aftermarket grabbars, do they have the same thickness and width as each other? [/QUOTE]
You will have no problem using either one after the mod is done.
wink.gif

Nice Job BigGeorge - And only took you 40 minures...wow. Mine took a good deal longer to do, but I didn't want to take off more than I needed & kept rechecking the fit. I have to get me one of those 2" Disc Sanders, the dremel is nice, but man that disc sander looks awesome...what can a guy expect to pay for one of those little units?

Back