so much for Yoshi's "fit n finish"

BigDiesel

Registered
just tried fitting my new Yoshimura tri-oval hi-mount system, but the #2 n #3 pipes are too close together n wont slide into the ports-they're about .350" too close together, and the way they are preassembled I cant spread them apart without damaging the pipes....

I wanted to make this announcement just for all the HMF-haters out there who said HMF makes ill-fitting exhausts, and that Yoshi's are all SOOOOO great- well, here's proof that they're NOT all so great.

FuckedupPIPES_005.jpg

in this pic i highlighted where the fitment issue is: the pipes here are too close and I cant move them apart any, so the whole header wont fit!!!
guns.gif

FuckedupPIPES_003.jpg

Maybe they had them made by HMF
laugh.gif

Really, why not just send them back
rock.gif
? They were probably made by a Yoshi  
newbie.gif

(GPW @ May 07 2007,23:41) any chance you got the header pipes backwards?
laugh.gif

what an accusation!...surely he tried ever possible combination and adjustment before posting his thread!
naturally he also checked the part numbers both in and outside the container.

It prolly too late tho...I imagine a few "RR" brothers were called and they gave the pipe a good beat down, just for good measure.
wink.gif

I would imagine the pipe fits pretty well for it's intended application. Either it was installed improperly, or it was not packaged correctly and that header could be for a different bike.

next time...install the item and THEN add it to your signature "mods list"
poke.gif

as for the HMF complaints...they generally come from people that do not have the skill set nor patience to get it right.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

here's how it breaks down for those that hve never installed a header before-
(and GPW-lol at the backwerds joke....
all_coholic.gif
)
looking at pic, from Left to Right, number pipes in your head #1, #2, #3, #4.

Pipes #1 n #4 will rotate out/in from center pipes #2 n#3, but the dingleberry at the Yosh factory who put these particular pipes together decided to give the pipes one whack too many with the soft mallet and now that piece of pipe between them (outlined in blue) is soooo freakin tight i cant pull them apart...as I stated in the FIRST post- #2 n #3 pipes are .350" TOO CLOSE TOGETHER-this means when one pipe is lined up perfectly to go into exhaust port, the other is .350" past its' own hole and hits the outer casting and wont go in. I cant correct this without banging on my BRAND NEW exhaust header....which for what I paid, I shouldnt have to do....
sad.gif
exhaust looks great-but would look better on my bike than in the box
all_coholic.gif

Waiting now for Yoshimura to send me a replacement header so I can try this thing out-once I get the new stuff installed I'll have pics/dyno #s to see how this thing worx...Im sure it'll make more HP than my HMF did, but I know my HMF setup was a perfect fit-n then I get this ****-rrrrrrrrrrr.....o well, the bike wont have a body for another 2 weeks anyways...

FuckedupPIPES_001.jpg

all_coholic.gif

Put some straps on them and pull them apart. Dont beat or bang on them. They will spread for you and you can use what you have there in front of you. Just my .02 cents, good luck!! They do look nice though. I wouldl ove to do that to my bike eventually!! Cant wait to see the finished pics!
beerchug.gif

(BusaCruise @ May 08 2007,00:28)
(GPW @ May 07 2007,23:41) any chance you got the header pipes backwards?
laugh.gif

what an accusation!...surely he tried ever possible combination and adjustment before posting his thread!
naturally he also checked the part numbers both in and outside the container.

It prolly too late tho...I imagine a few "RR" brothers were called and they gave the pipe a good beat down, just for good measure.
wink.gif

I would imagine the pipe fits pretty well for it's intended application.  Either it was installed improperly, or it was not packaged correctly and that header could be for a different bike.  

next time...install the item and THEN add it to your signature "mods list"  
poke.gif
surely I did check the part numbers on the box-AND those on the instructions that came inside the box with the pipes....and guess what??? they match fine-too bad the pipes dont match Hayabusa exhaust ports.

I would imagine the Yoshimura guy who put these pipes together is the one who gave'em a serious beat-down. I dont bang the crap out of brand new metal if I see it wont fit-I like everything to work on my bike, because I actually ride it hard. alot.

I would like to imagine when I order a Hayabusa exh, n the box says its a Busa exh, and the INSTRUCTIONS say Busa exh....then I would be installing a HAYABUSA exhuast system that fits Hayabusas-but I must have been imagining things since this setup WILL NOT FIT on a Hayabusa's exhuast ports.

and i own the exhaust-so thats why its on my mods list. if we only put up mods WE installed, alotta folks in here would have blank spaces. I ca do this myself in my own garage, as long as I am given the proper materials- Yoshimura f****ed up, not me.

love your "wild imagination" but I have to deal with reality over here. i paid money for an exhuast to fit my bike that is produced in limited quantities, and I got the one setup that squeaked past a quality inspector who dint try to fit it n check for clearance issues....now i have to wait for another header because some other fool wasnt doing his job as well I can do mine-that being actually installing the exhaust.

FuckedupPIPES_006.jpg

dont sweat it Ben-Paul did wha he was supposed to n then Yosh f**kd up-we talked last night n its all good, he'll put in a call to Yosh today n get me sorted out, no worries.

Just wanted to let the fellas know even "Mr. Perfect" Yoshimura makes some mistakes, like so many folks are accusing HMF of and a few other exhaust manufacturers. aint nobody perfect

'cept Cap
wink.gif

I just tuned a 2001 with a full Yosh system, pulled 153 on our dyno and the 2006 with the HMF's pulled 162. Curious about your numbers. Getting a rock solid custom map is key...don't go for the borrow map. Its amazing what we see with the ole my buddies map exchange program.

Best of luck. I have yet to install a Yoshimura on any bike....my bike will be the first, wed. Hopefully I have better luck. Its the third system on my project bike in 3000 miles. I like to have everything I sell and I do.

(GPW @ May 08 2007,12:13) I just tuned a 2001 with a full Yosh system, pulled 153 on our dyno and the 2006 with the HMF's pulled 162. Curious about your numbers. Getting a rock solid custom map is key...don't go for the borrow map. Its amazing what we see with the ole my buddies map exchange program.

Best of luck. I have yet to install a Yoshimura on any bike....my bike will be the first, wed. Hopefully I have better luck. Its the third system on my project bike in 3000 miles. I like to have everything I sell and I do.
From what I understand, 5-6 HP of the difference would be from the 01 busa having a 16 bit ECU and the 06 having a 32 bit ECU.

i had the exact same problam when i installed mine 3 days before the bash, just had to man handle it

(boazalmighty @ May 08 2007,11:35) i had the exact same problam when i installed  mine 3 days before the bash,  just had to man handle it
you're a braver soul than I man...not guna "man-handle" anything I paid over $100 bux for-n especially not if it goes on a machine I use to go in excess of 170mph...I need everything 100% perfect-and over .300"-thats almost 3/8"-is more than i wana bend some brand-new headers when the old ones I took off literally fell out they fit so well.

GPW-was the '01 running a Yosh Hi-mount like the one I ordered with a Tri-oval can?
I have no idea what HP the Yosh will make honestly- but looking at the diameter of the piping on the headers, and the length/location of bends, etc...it looks like this Yoshimura should flow waaaay better on top than my HMF-the collector for my HMF @ the rear split had a spot where I could see airpressure would 'choke' before getting thru to the individual pipes. The Yohsimura Tri-Oval has a larger exhaust diameter for the rear pipe too.

PICS_007.jpg

i already stuff everything back in the box or i'd take a pic from the back of this system-but you can see the rear where it splits n attaches to the exhuast can-really big dia, and secondaries themselves aint skinny neither
beerchug.gif

FuckedupPIPES_002.jpg

Back