Gen 3 comfort

Good conversation! I currently have a Harley Ultra Limited. I bought that after *finally* retiring my 1987 Honda CBR1000F (Hurricane) after nearly 30yrs. The Hurricane just got too uncomfortable to ride; 45 mins until my back (or under) side started to ache. I can ride the Ultra Limited all day, no problems. (No H8R's plz...)

From the styling & appearance, this Gen3 Busa reminds me A LOT of my Hurricane but from these comments perhaps there have been a lot of changes to improve; not to mention the notion of raising the bars and lowering the footpegs.

Curious if anyone has experienced both the original Honda Hurricane and the new Gen3 Busa for comparison.

226812_1032416420146_5791_n.jpg

Welcome,

I rode a Hurricane over 30 yrs ago but can't remember it very much and as of yet haven't sat on a gen 3.

The Hayabusa of any generation most likely has a more aggressive riding position than your Honda.

Welcome,

I rode a Hurricane over 30 yrs ago but can't remember it very much and as of yet haven't sat on a gen 3.

The Hayabusa of any generation most likely has a more aggressive riding position than your Honda.
Yeah...much more aggressive position for sure. Never had a bike with the foot pegs so high! I did notice Suzuki has a gel seat and I'm sure there are other after-market options as well. Something to consider. Wonder if the local dealer will let me take one for an extended ride...

I remember the hurricane being very uncomfortable. I preferred my zx10 and zx11 by a LOT. Plus it was kind of a pig of a bike. The Busa is more comfortable and has better airflow when riding. Plus it can get out of its own way.
"pig of a bike" in which way? I'm not offended but just curious on what you mean by that. Are you referring to it's responsiveness? I'm sure bikes would be much more responsive in newer generations. Or was it something else?

Yeah...much more aggressive position for sure. Never had a bike with the foot pegs so high! I did notice Suzuki has a gel seat and I'm sure there are other after-market options as well. Something to consider. Wonder if the local dealer will let me take one for an extended ride...
If you read most of the gen 3 threads, almost every owner is seeking some sort of comfort modification to the bike, bar risers, taller windshield, drop pegs, better seat....this tells me it can't be a whole lot more comfortable than the other generations of which riders are seeking similar modifications.

If the riding position between your HD and Hurricane is radical, the Hayabusa will be more so.

I know I'm used to a more relaxed riding position but wow.
-First thing is that your feet are further back where they should be and not in front of your ass. That's going to help a lot by taking weight off of your coccyx and lower spine. Cruiser guys who argue that they are more comfortable are lying through their weight belts.
-Second thing is that you probably won't have a screen taller than a double bubble, so your helmet is going to be in the wind. And on a Hayabusa, you're going to have plenty of wind. If you ride with any regularity, your neck muscles are going to get a lot stronger. If you're looking for ergonomic comfort, that's the magic recipe. Building muscle around your spinal column. Your comfort level will improve with time.
-Basic physical fitness can help a lot. There's a simple exercise that not a lot of people do regularly. It's a squat with good form. You can use a broom handle and stand sideways in front of a mirror, squat, don't bounce your knees, and move the broom handle up and down vertically. Day two will be twice as good as day one, and if you do it everyday for a week you're entire physical being will feel much better. I almost wouldn't recommend a Hayabusa to anyone who couldn't put the balls of their feet on the pegs, and balance on the bike as it moves through the curves. Left and right easy and anticipating countersteering, and forward and back to balance the suspension under you. Yeah, you can sit on your ass, but more than half of the pleasure of riding the bike is feeling it balanced underneath you, and handling as perfectly as 560 lbs can handle. It is a GSX-R, after all. Don't underestimate how satisfying and how much fun this can be. Track Schools can help a lot, and also polish up your talent enough to quite probably save your life someday.
-A 2-hour ride is nothing but fun. Don't even think twice about it. Long-distance cruising might get sore on your wrists after six to eight hours. But I haven't ridden the new bike yet which is an inch closer. As others have pointed out, small differences make huge improvements. Ask anyone who has had a road bicycle professionally adjusted to them (and if you have a road bicycle, for god sakes do get it professionally adjusted to you. Your knees will thank you).
-Find a suspension tuning shop to adjust the suspension professionally for you. You are Goldilocks. You don't want it too soft. You don't want it too firm. You want it just right. * And you want to keep working on your riding skills to the point where when you are leaned over, you routinely have minimal pressure on the bars. So minimal that your front tire is choosing its own angle (which will surprise you by being canted towards the outside of the curve more than you would expect). Letting that front tire find its own path through the curve increases grip dramatically. You're going to have surprise gravel at some point sooner or later, and if your hands are loose enough on the bars, the tire will find grip again in a way that can save your life. Especially if there's oncoming traffic.

Last edited:
-First thing is that your feet are further back where they should be and not in front of your ass. That's going to help a lot by taking weight off of your coccyx and lower spine. Cruiser guys who argue that they are more comfortable are lying through their weight belts.
-Second thing is that you probably won't have a screen taller than a double bubble, so your helmet is going to be in the wind. And on a Hayabusa, you're going to have plenty of wind. If you ride with any regularity, your neck muscles are going to get a lot stronger. If you're looking for ergonomic comfort, that's the magic recipe. Building muscle around your spinal column. Your comfort level will improve with time.
-Basic physical fitness can help a lot. There's a simple exercise that not a lot of people do regularly. It's a squat with good form. You can use a broom handle and stand sideways in front of a mirror, squat, don't bounce your knees, and move the broom handle up and down vertically. Day two will be twice as good as day one, and if you do it everyday for a week you're entire physical being will feel much better. I almost wouldn't recommend a Hayabusa to anyone who couldn't put the balls of their feet on the pegs, and balance on the bike as it moves through the curves. Left and right easy and anticipating countersteering, and forward and back to balance the suspension under you. Yeah, you can sit on your ass, but more than half of the pleasure of riding the bike is feeling it balanced underneath you, and handling as perfectly as 560 lbs can handle. It is a GSX-R, after all. Don't underestimate how satisfying and how much fun this can be. Track Schools can help a lot, and also polish up your talent enough to quite probably save your life someday.
-A 2-hour ride is nothing but fun. Don't even think twice about it. Long-distance cruising might get sore on your wrists after six to eight hours. But I haven't ridden the new bike yet which is an inch closer. As others have pointed out, small differences make huge improvements. Ask anyone who has had a road bicycle professionally adjusted to them (and if you have a road bicycle, for god sakes do get it professionally adjusted to you. Your knees will thank you).
-Find a suspension tuning shop to adjust the suspension professionally for you. You are Goldilocks. You don't want it too soft. You don't want it too firm. You want it just right. * And you want to keep working on your riding skills to the point where when you are leaned over, you routinely have minimal pressure on the bars. So minimal that your front tire is choosing its own angle (which will surprise you by being canted towards the outside of the curve more than you would expect). Letting that front tire find its own path through the curve increases grip dramatically. You're going to have surprise gravel at some point sooner or later, and if your hands are loose enough on the bars, the tire will find grip again in a way that can save your life. Especially if there's oncoming traffic.
Did someone say weight lifting? Was a recent squat day. If I can get semi comfy on a Busa, yall should be able to.

F4BA0AA1-47E0-434C-9183-09DEF93D99AC.jpeg

258FC30B-5627-4389-8326-C21E801614FA.jpeg

I'm seriously thinking of picking up a Gen 3 but I'm a little concerned about leg comfort. I sat on one yesterday at my local dealer and my legs were nearly tucked in up to my chest. I'm 6' tall and coming off a cruiser type bike so I know I'm used to a more relaxed riding position but wow.
Are there drop pegs I can buy?
How do you all like that tucked position?
I am 6'2" and I just got a 2020 Hayabusa and I have put over a thousand miles on it. I also have a zx14 and it was a little to get used to but its a great bike and worth a little discomfort. It doesn't bother me anymore. You get used to it.

If you read most of the gen 3 threads, almost every owner is seeking some sort of comfort modification to the bike, bar risers, taller windshield, drop pegs, better seat....this tells me it can't be a whole lot more comfortable than the other generations of which riders are seeking similar modifications.

If the riding position between your HD and Hurricane is radical, the Hayabusa will be more so.
I think more of that is current buyers are 40-60+ years old, not many kids buying them anymore.

With that in mind, I’m 42 and haven’t changed anything on my bike for comfort. I feel the bike is perfect for me in that department, it just needs more power.. :rofl:

I had a ride on a cbr1000f when they came out. A G3 Hayabusa is incomparable. Obviously. Given the vintage of the former.

I remember the hurricane being very uncomfortable. I preferred my zx10 and zx11 by a LOT. Plus it was kind of a pig of a bike. The Busa is more comfortable and has better airflow when riding. Plus it can get out of its own way.
Still have my old zzr1100. Still does 170 on the clocks

Back