Tobin seat too low?

hkrauss

Registered
I'm wanting to replace my stock seat with something more comfortable for touring. I've read a lot of posts about the Tobin, but I'm wondering ... since the Tobin seat is 2-3 inches lower than the stock seat, do your legs get cramped from being in a tighter 'tuck'. Seems like that might be a problem and a reason to go for a gel seat?? Also, has anyone figured out a way to put some kind of pegs on the bike that will allow for alternate let positioning while you ride? Thanks for your help.

(hkrauss @ Jul. 30 2007,20:16) I'm wanting to replace my stock seat with something more comfortable for touring. I've read a lot of posts about the Tobin, but I'm wondering ... since the Tobin seat is 2-3 inches lower than the stock seat, do your legs get cramped from being in a tighter 'tuck'. Seems like that might be a problem and a reason to go for a gel seat?? Also, has anyone figured out a way to put some kind of pegs on the bike that will allow for alternate let positioning while you ride? Thanks for your help.
Krauss - the answer might have more to do with you vs. a universal answer among all riders that have tobins. I have done many dawn-to-dusk rides on the Tobin, and only uncomfortable after about 12-14+ hours in saddle (300+ mile days). Other thing about knees, is this also may just depend on you. I find this lean-over position really comfy, but that probably depend again on the rider.

tobin3_800.jpg

I have Oberon Pegs coupled with the lower Tobin. The whole setup lowers everything a good inch and gives you the sensation of sitting 'in' the bike. The Gel will give you the sense of sitting 'on' the bike. Very different. Gel was good, but same ass-sore results after my 12th hour in saddle.

wat is tobins web address tried to find it but cant
all_coholic.gif

they really do look a lovely seat. does the bit around the back of rider seat help alot on miles?

I guess if u have a big &ss like me long hours and many miles don't bother it. Eat some ice cream.
super.gif

(NDVBUSA @ Jul. 30 2007,23:06) I guess if u have a big &ss like me long hours and many miles don't bother it. Eat some ice cream.
super.gif
I guess that's because you also have more suspension travel ! More Cushie REAR Shock movement
laugh.gif

Are the Oberon or Buell pegs that much lower than the stock ones? From the pics they look the same configuration as the stocks. Are you using Genmar or Helibar risers with the Tobin? I'm trying to accomplish a little more upright riding position due to a stiff lower back. Seems like the Tobin plus risers would accomplish that provided my legs don't get numb from the tighter angle created by the reduced distance between the seat and the pegs.

My Busa's rear is jacked up 1" over stock, with the Tobin seat and Helibars it is perfect. With the Gel seat, i am angled down and I don't really like it, but I do use the Gel seat on long trips with the wife. The Tobin starts to bother the insides of my thighs after a couple hours.

i was thinking the other day when i had the seat off and sitting
on the frame what a cool riding position that was (for me). i hate
to give up my stock seat because it is comfy but i like the idea of
a 2" lower seat- makes you feel like your "in the bike". i guess i'll
buy a tobin and try it out. i can always buy another seat. more mods=
when will this madness stop?

I like my Tobin especially for looks, the stocker has more cushion because of the Tobins shape. Tobins  take a little time getting used to. Because it pushes you forward so you don't move around on the seat as easily at first because of the lip, but you get used to it.  It also seems to tilt your pelvis backwards, for me it seems to keep a little less pressure off the wrists. I kept my stock seat in case I didn't like it but I haven't looked back yet  
super.gif

My_Bike_011jpg.jpg

(hkrauss @ Jul. 30 2007,23:16) I'm wanting to replace my stock seat with something more comfortable for touring.  I've read a lot of posts about the Tobin, but I'm wondering ... since the Tobin seat is 2-3 inches lower than the stock seat, do your legs get cramped from being in a tighter 'tuck'.  Seems like that might be a problem and a reason to go for a gel seat??  Also, has anyone figured out a way to put some kind of pegs on the bike that will allow for alternate let positioning while you ride?  Thanks for your help.
Pashnit's probably got it figured out, since riding is his business!

But since you're in Texas, maybe you could borrow a Tobin from a member for a day's ride, and see what you think.
beerchug.gif

you definitely feel a loss of leg room with the seat. a simple peg mod makes up that difference. the seats are awesome
biggrin.gif

i bought my bike with a tobin seat, so far im not liking it. got a 34" pant leg and my thighs and rear cramp n stiffen up, i had a 954 i could ride all day long, got the busa and after 40 minutes pain, maybe im riding wrong or just not used to it.

i bought my bike with a tobin seat, so far im not liking it. got a 34" pant leg and my thighs and rear cramp n stiffen up, i had a 954 i could ride all day long, got the busa and after 40 minutes pain, maybe im riding wrong or just not used to it.

I hate them(some folks love them) you're just stuck against the tank in one place and can't slide back. I love Corbins and don't care for the Suzuki Gel seat either. You should have no problem trading or selling the Tobin.
You are sitting lower and you will cramp easier too, maybe you will or won't get used to it. Seats are 100% an individual preference.

My tobin seats red kanji threads for both sides colour faded going to contact tobin to see whether i can fix them up.

Anyone here faces the same problem?Any good solutions to help out?

(hkrauss @ Jul. 30 2007,20:16) I'm wanting to replace my stock seat with something more comfortable for touring. I've read a lot of posts about the Tobin, but I'm wondering ... since the Tobin seat is 2-3 inches lower than the stock seat, do your legs get cramped from being in a tighter 'tuck'. Seems like that might be a problem and a reason to go for a gel seat?? Also, has anyone figured out a way to put some kind of pegs on the bike that will allow for alternate let positioning while you ride? Thanks for your help.
Krauss - the answer might have more to do with you vs. a universal answer among all riders that have tobins. I have done many dawn-to-dusk rides on the Tobin, and only uncomfortable after about 12-14+ hours in saddle (300+ mile days). Other thing about knees, is this also may just depend on you. I find this lean-over position really comfy, but that probably depend again on the rider.

tobin3_800.jpg

I have Oberon Pegs coupled with the lower Tobin. The whole setup lowers everything a good inch and gives you the sensation of sitting 'in' the bike. The Gel will give you the sense of sitting 'on' the bike. Very different. Gel was good, but same ass-sore results after my 12th hour in saddle.

Hi Tim,my guess got to depend largely on individual height and weight.The length of the arms too play a part.

Theoritically yes it should be much more comfortable but you will lose out a stock bike agility when comes to high speed corners.

Back